• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tales of Symphonia: THE ANIMATION - First Impressions

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
Years
  • Well, as we all should know, the first episode of the 4-episode Tales of Symphonia OVA came out last week. Now, I really wouldn't recommend reading this until you watch it, but if you don't mind seeing what they changed, go ahead. Now, I watched it raw, and I know like no Japanese. I just went based off of my knowledge from playing the game like 7 times. Therefore, correct me if I'm wrong.

The Good
    -An anime based on ToS! Squee! *shot*
    -Good animation and character design. Colette is so cute~ *shot again*
    -They didn't cram the first quarter of the game into 30 minutes... only like the first 4 hours. XD
    -Raine throws chalk at Lloyd
    -Kid Lloyd in a flashback. Not entirely cute for me, but that fangirls love it.
    -Forcystus > you

The Bad
    -Plot events were changed and/or placed out of order. (This was to be expected. It's four episodes long.)
    -Kratos has like 3 lines in the entire half hour.
    -The ending animation kind of weirds me out...

Plot Changes
    -Colette is alone when she initially meets Remiel. When the Renegades attack with arrows, the priests take the hits and die.
    -Raine allows Lloyd and Genis to come with her when the light shines from the temple
    -They show up at the beginning of the battle with the Renegades. Kratos randomly comes in, says his three lines, and cuts down like four guys at the same time.
    -Lloyd takes down the one remaining guy left over from Kratos with help from his all inspiring Exsphere.
    -Forcystus doesn't attack Iselia because of Lloyd and Genis' encounter with Marble (she isn't in it). Instead, Forcystus comes looking for Lloyd because a spy watching the battle with the Renegades reports to him with news of Lloyd's Exsphere.
    -Battle with Forcystus, Lloyd's Exsphere goes all nuts and strikes Forcystus down with a beam of light. Lloyd gets kicked out, blah blah. The end of episode one.

I found it kind of a relief that all of the trailers so far only have footage from that episode. That means there is still a chance of Tethe'alla being involved in episodes 3 or 4. So yeah, it was pretty good.

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
  • Tales of Symphonia: THE ANIMATION - First Impressions

As seen here =w= Boom headshot! .o.

I liked it a lot, even though it was raw. My favorite stuff was actually on the bonus disk~ Why? Because it has flippin' CLAYMATION. It's just...adorable. There's also a definate Colloyd for every Colloyd out there who will now know that it's canon. When it comes out subbed, I'll be happy to know what Kratos was rambling about in the 'Kratos Sensei' segment.

Bonus Disc Stuff

• Collete meets DVD
    • Kratos gives a history on the world of Sylverant (Lloyd falls asleep)
    • The ending in claymation
    • Promo segments

Spoiler:

Needs more Yuan

Last edited:

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • Tales of Symphonia: THE ANIMATION - First Impressions

As seen here =w= Boom headshot! .o.

I liked it a lot, even though it was raw. My favorite stuff was actually on the bonus disk~ Why? Because it has flippin' CLAYMATION. It's just...adorable. There's also a definate Colloyd for every Colloyd out there who will now know that it's canon. When it comes out subbed, I'll be happy to know what Kratos was rambling about in the 'Kratos Sensei' segment.

Bonus Disc Stuff

• Collete meets DVD
    • Kratos gives a history on the world of Sylverant (Lloyd falls asleep)
    • The ending in claymation
    • Promo segments
    Spoiler:

Needs more Yuan

Ha, wow I imagined it being funny and everything but I almost fell outta my chair with both of those!

It might be worth watching in Japanese NO subs on youtube is it's that good then xD

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • I just got done with watching episode one. I could have sworn they made Dirk Lloyd's height at the beginning, then made him shrink at the end-ish part. It was great though! I though Lloyd's voice was kind of annoying, but I always think that in the beginning. I'll get over it at some point... some point...

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
  • I just got done with watching episode one. I could have sworn they made Dirk Lloyd's height at the beginning, then made him shrink at the end-ish part. It was great though! I though Lloyd's voice was kind of annoying, but I always think that in the beginning. I'll get over it at some point... some point...

Yeah, it's kind of hard to get used to new voice actors, but you'll learn to love them~ If Zelos comes in later, his voice is totally different than the English, but because they have the same personality and inflections in their voice, it'll adapt easily. Actually, I wasn't fond of Raine's voice that much D: Too deep. Japanese Mithos is adorable though. Japanese Collete actually makes her look cutier than sadly ignorant D: I hope they keep the same English voice actors as in the game when it's liscensed...Tales of Radiant Mythology has them different x.x;

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • I hope so, I loved the english dubs!

I dunno, Mithos(no young Mithos) always reminded me of the Swan costume on Blades of Glory:

Hmmm....(I couldn't find the swan costume so the ice...thing one will work too I guess)

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    I'll have to wait until I go to my grandparent's house to watch this (no high-speed internet here...), but I'm really looking forward to it. I almost died laughing at the clip of Raine throwing chalk at Lloyd. Pure win! xD And lol @ the Mithos thing.

I'm still disappointed about the length of the series, but as long as they manage to handle the storyline fairly well (even if they have to make a few changes), then it'll work for me. I'm just happy that it's been turned into an animation. :D

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • If you've played the game, you can follow the raw no problemo.

And I win for most creative ToS set. I put so much work into it. =D
    >:O Wtf, you didn't even DO anything to the screenshots I sent you. You fail so hard. XDD

Anyway, I looooved it. Anyone who knew me through my Symphonia obsession would probably know I hated Colette, but I absolutely adored her in the episode. She was so cute. I didn't much care for Kratos though--surprisingly--but he only had one line anyway, so maybe that's why.

I'd already heard all these voices before. I popped in the PS2 version of the game a while ago. I already knew I loved Colette and Raine's voices. Genis is okay. I don't care either way. I don't like Kratos or Lloyd's voices though. D: It's so hard to get used to. I'm sure when I actually get around to playing the game I'll get used to them though.

Chikara said:
    I just got done with watching episode one. I could have sworn they made Dirk Lloyd's height at the beginning, then made him shrink at the end-ish part. It was great though! I though Lloyd's voice was kind of annoying, but I always think that in the beginning. I'll get over it at some point... some point...
    I noticed that too. I swear I mentioned Dirk's increased height to David (who practically got a play-by-play when I first watched it XD) when I first saw him, and then he shrunk by the end. :|

Um, overall it's great though. I took 1877 caps from it in all, and that's not even the bonus disc. I can't wait until August for the next instalment. ♥

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
  • >:O Wtf, you didn't even DO anything to the screenshots I sent you. You fail so hard. XDD

I noticed that too. I swear I mentioned Dirk's increased height to David (who practically got a play-by-play when I first watched it XD) when I first saw him, and then he shrunk by the end. :|

Um, overall it's great though. I took 1877 caps from it in all, and that's not even the bonus disc. I can't wait until August for the next instalment. ♥

Pfft, I cropped them and added a border. If that's not creative I don't know what is. >o
    And yeah, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't shut up. XD
    Oh, and installment* *shot*

Cherrim

Years
  • No, instalment. D;

That is so not creative. >:O You didn't even brighten them up. Also, sharpening makes them look really good. I'd know having made like 50 icons with the caps last night. 8D;

Um...right. I can't think of what to say to keep this remotely on-topic. XD;

...I'm in love with the ending theme. The song, not the creepy claymation thing. I've been listening to it over and over. n_n

~Mithos~

- Three Days Grace -
    Years
  • hey I love that game *cough* look at my name *cough* I only beat it twice though =D so where do you find the video?

EDIT: oops post above me lol

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    ...I'm in love with the ending theme. The song, not the creepy claymation thing. I've been listening to it over and over. n_n
    Ohh, I didn't even know until now (just downloaded a clip of the ending on YouTube) that it's the song that was played in the trailers. I really love it, too! ^^ It's so pretty. <3

I agree that the claymation is a bit creepy, though... The characters look cute, but the way that they move is so scary. For example, when it shows Colette standing by the window and she turns around to look at Lloyd. It's like something off of a horror movie, lol. xD;

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    Apparently the OP/ED single was released on the 8th, but I've yet to see it on the 'net yet. Darn...

Horror movie?

The Chakra > The Ring
    I was thinking of the one with that ventriloquist and the creepy puppets... but darn it, I can't think of the name. xD I only saw the previews. It was released not too long ago, though.

And I'd definitely like to buy it, so I'll keep an eye out for it. :D

Cherrim

Years
  • Haha, I eventually just ripped the ED song from the video itself so I could have it for my iPod tomorrow. :\ But if anyone can direct me to the actual singles, I'll love you forever. If I find 'em, I'll link too. XD;

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • Tada~
    Subtitled Tales of Symphonia OVA!

The bad thing is that as of now, this is the only place that has it subtitled...and you have to sign up and stuff to download it AND get their stupid player. <.< But now you can say you got it subbed before anyone else. \o/

Geez if ONLY downloading huge files like that wasn't impossible on my computer, I'd do that. Maybe I'll just get it once I have internet on MY computer in MY room. Then it goes by MY rules.

Anyway, I told my friend the OVA came out. She screamed cause she couldn't see it yet. She's been in the Florida Keys all week. She was in a bad mood for some reason after that XD

Back