• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Building!

Years
Hi guys!

I fairly new to competitive pokemon and I was hoping I could get some tips from people the community the knows best! During my time playing pokemon I've found four of my favorite pokemon to be; Aggron, Charizard, Xatu and Camerupt these will all definitely be on my team :D What am I missing that is really important for competitive play?

Please help guys!

Years
if you are extremely adamant on using those four mons on the same team i would recommend having a water resist as a start or immunity also i wish to ask as to what tier that you are building for if any?

Years
i think in this case you might also want to have something for electric type mons and maybe have defog if xatu does not. also is the charizard Mega?

Last edited:
Years
Mega Charizard Y, Xatu will be my defogger also considering having a jolly Ambipom, what do you suggest to deal with electric type mons? Thanks for the help so far :D

Years
oh no problem, but to answer your question a good mon that i think wound help fix both your water weakness and electric weakness would be Gastrodon. Gastrodons duel typing of water/ground makes it immune to electric type moves furthermore, its ability Strom Drain makes it immune to water moves as well i would recommend a special defensive spread of evs with a calm nature. with earthquake, Scald, Recover, and Toxic being its moveset with leftovers as its item.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I'd not recommend Gastrodon as it's not going to do much on your team, besides sitting there trying to slowly wittle something down. Grass types also resist both Water and Electric types. Mons that come to mind are Celebi and Tapu Bulu. Celebi can be more defensive tool, that gives you some momentum (U-Turn alongside with Xatu), while Tapu Bulu adds some more power.

If you want a ground type, then probably Swampert is a better choice. You could incorporate it into a Grass/Water/Fire core if you want to.

Years
Well i had recommended Gastro for its reliable recovery options and its ability to shut down Koko and just about any special attacking mon that lacks psyshock or grass coverage entirely as it has access to recover which Swampert does not have. Swampert also has to be weary of switching into Koko dazzling gleam and other repeated attacks as it will get worn down. i also acknowledge your points about Gastrodons passiveness which i can agree with. However using regular Swampert on a team would not really grant as much defensive benefits and swampert is too slow to be hurting anything. The only real use i could see it having would be to have rocks and leftovers or maybe a niche Assault Vest build. maybe i am missing something but that is my thoughts on that. I also can agree that a grass type would help mitigate the electric/water weakness however, the team still has very little switch ins to fire type mons as is and mons such as Heatran will burn up the team Celebi i would disagree with. With the prevailing usage of U-Turn on many competitive teams be it Smogon tier or not it takes 4x damage from it. Bulu would be a decent choice with an assault vest or a Z-Crystal the thing is, a check/counter would have to added later down the line to cover fire type mons as not only are there very little switch ins, any fire move in the Drought that Zard Y brings in will hurt anything that does not resist it This just my mindset and input at the moment. If however a grass type might seem like a good idea, Defensive wise Bulu or ferrothorn are decent options.

Last edited:
Back