• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Episodes Do The Movies Take Place After?

Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2024
    I'll start with the first movie. I use to think that it took place after To Master the Onixpected! However I'm sure now it's the episode The Pi-Kahuna. Wonder if someone knows this with them all.

Alloute

Cat Burglar
    Years
  • The first movie's timeline in relation to the anime itself is messy; the movie obviously takes place after Showdown at the Po-ké Corral since that was the last time that we saw TR's Mewtwo in the anime. However, we can't pinpoint the exact time frame in which the first movie happens, although it's definitely still during the Kanto saga since Brock was still around in the movie (although probably after Pallet Party Panic since Ash's Pidgeotto/Pidgeot wasn't seen).

But honestly, nobody other than maybe the movie production staff could answer this question with precision, and even they might not know the exact timeline of events since I doubt that they think about stuff like that.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Hard to say when specifically the movies take place chronologically but I always assumed they take place near the end of the Season. I'd have to go through all 20 Seasons but Alola hasn't had a movie dedicated to them so basically you can ignore Movie#20, 21 and upcoming 22 that is "remaking" Movie#1.

Cid

Years
  • I've always thought that the movies were conveniently non-canon? I'm sure they could be fitted into the downtimes between some of the episodes, though. But the fact that they're rarely referenced, except for maybe Ash's aura capabilities when Riley shows up, makes me believe that they could be dismissed as non-canon.

Sloxy

Mon Amour
    Years
  • Main Series:

Season 1: Indigo League

Film: Pokemon the First Movie - Mewtwo Strikes Back (~Episode 67)

Season 2: Aventures on the Orange Islands

Film: Pokemon the Movie 2000 - The Power of One (~Episode 107)

Season 3: The Jhoto Journeys

Film: Pokemon 3: The Movie - Spell Of the Unown (~Episode 161)

Season 4: Johto League Champions

Film: Pokemon 4Ever - Celebi: Voice of the Forest (~Episode 213)

Season 5: Master Quest

Film: Pokemon Heroes (~Episode 266)

Season 6: Advanced

Film: Jirachi: Wish Maker (~Episode 331)

Season 7: Advanced Challenge

Film: Destiny Deoxys (~Episode 387)

Season 8: Advanced Battle

Film: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew (Mew and the Aura Hero: Lucario) (~AG 082 and AG 108)

Season 9: Battle frontier

Film: Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea (Pokemon Ranger and the Prince of the Sea: Manphy) (~AG 148 and the end of the series at AG192)

Season 10: Diamond and Pearl

Film: The Rise of Darkrai (Dialga VS Palkia VS Darkrai) (~DP 038 and DP 055)

Season 11: DP: Battle Dimension

Film: Giratina and the Sky Warrior (Giratina and the Bouquet of the Frozen Sky: Shaymin) (~DP 085 and DP 100)

Season 12: DP: Galactic Battles

Film: Arceus and the Jewel of Life (Arceus: To Conquering Space-Time) (~DP 132 and DP 163)

Season 13: DP: Sinnoh League Victors

Film: Zoroark—Master of Illusions (Phantom Ruler: Zoroark) (~DP 171 and the end of the series at 192)

Season 14: Black & White

Film:

White—Victini and Zekrom (Victini and the Black Hero: Zekrom)

Black—Victini and Reshiram (Victini and the White Hero: Reshiram)

(~Between BW 024 and BW 077)

Season 15: BW: Rival Destinies

Film: Kyurem vs. the Sword of Justice (Kyurem vs. the Sacred Swordsman: Keldeo) (~BW 077 and 116)

Season 16: BW: Adventures in Unova and BW: Adventures in Unova and Beyond

Film: Genesect and the Legend Awakened (ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens) (~BW 116 and the end of the series at BW 144)

Season 17: XY

Film: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction (~XY 038 and XY 052)

Season 18: XY: Kalos Quest

Film: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages (The Archdjinni of the Rings: Hoopa) (~XY 067 and XY 100)

Season 19: XYZ

Film: Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel (Volcanion and the Exquisite Magearna) (~XY 110 and XY 126)

Season 20: Sun and Moon

Film: I Choose You (Does not matter, it isn't related to the main story, only another universe if Ash decided to follow Ho-Oh

Season 21: Ultra Adventures

Film: Everyone's Story (Again does not matter, filler film)

Here are two lists, I based my answers off of those, specifically the movies with way more detail:

https://anime.stackexchange.com/que...emon-movies-occur-chronologically-to-the-plot

https://www.alltimelines.com/pokemon/2/

List of episodes: (Season 1-13)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_episodes_(seasons_1–13)

List of episodes (Season 14 - Current)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_episodes_(seasons_14–current)

Last edited:

Alloute

Cat Burglar
    Years
  • Film: Destiny Deoxys (~Episode 387)

I'm somewhat confused. Episode 387 was AG113, the Wynaut/Mirage Island episode. How could the Deoxys movie take place after Ash visited Mirage Island when we know from the official anime map that LaRousse City (the setting of the Deoxys movie) was located somewhere between Fortree City and Lilycove City (areas that Ash and co. had long since passed by this point in Hoenn)? When Ash and co. got stuck on Mirage Island, they were a couple episodes away from arriving in Pacifidlog Town which is in southern Hoenn, whereas LaRousse was in northern Hoenn. So the Deoxys movie couldn't have happened after AG113 because of how far of a distance there was between LaRousse and Mirage Island.

Also, how could you claim that the Lucario movie happened between AG082 and AG108, episodes that took place in Hoenn before the League, whereas the Lucario movie clearly happened after the Hoenn League when Ash went back to Kanto in the Battle Frontier arc?

Last edited:

Sloxy

Mon Amour
    Years
  • You're right about the Destiny Deoxys, that's definitely not right. I guess I might have confused myself somewhere. It would rather take place somewhere between AG58 and AG66

Well, for the Lucario one, May gets her Combusken at 82 and Ash gets his Snorunt at 108. That's just the way I would look at it. OP wanted it to be in correlation to the episode, I think the pokemon in the movie would be more important than the location since you most likely wont focus on it.

Alloute

Cat Burglar
    Years
  • May I ask why AG 108 is relevant in this case? Ash didn't have Snorunt/Glalie in the Lucario movie, so why would it matter? I think it's more accurate and less confusing to say that the Lucario movie happened shortly after AG 133 (The Right Place and the Right Mime) because Ash regained Phanpy in that episode and May got her Squirtle from Oak there too, and those two Pokemon actually appeared with the cast in the Lucario movie.

The 8th movie definitely happened sometime after AG133 if we're judging based on which Pokemon the cast had with them at the time, but I'd take it one step further and say that the 8th movie happened after AG134 aka "A Real Cleffa-Hanger" since Misty left the AG cast in that episode. She had previously joined them in AG133, but since she obviously wasn't in the 8th movie, then the movie couldn't have happened until she was gone after AG134.

Last edited:
    Back