• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Intro] Hi There!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 4, 2023
Hi! I'm new to the community. I've been playing for many years but only now decided to join. Perhaps because its really boring not having anyone close share the same interest in Pokemon...

Recently I started playing Pokemon Unbound.

So yeah...
Looking to make some friends and talk about pokemon.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 4, 2023
Thanks for agreeing. Its even more difficult with the pandemic still going on. I've been looking around for more interesting experiences playing Pokémon and stumbled across the Romhacks section. Don't get me wrong, the main stream games are great (although I don't have the switch games yet) and I enjoy those a lot, but after playing Pokemon Unbound for a few hours and upping the difficulty, I'm now on the lookout for more of these. So far I only know of this one, but maybe someone could recommend other romhacks that I should I try?

I'll eventually get the switch games. Of the mainstream games, is it recommended to just wait for Legends Arceus? Or go for one of the remakes?

Years
If you are looking for 'difficult' games, I've heard that the Drayano hacks are pretty difficult? They don't change much about the original game's story but the trainers use a wide variety of strong Pokemon and all Pokemon are catcable within one game as well. Other than that, I've also heard a lot of good things about Pokemon Radical Red in terms of difficulty.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 4, 2023
Thanks Vee! I'll take a look into the Drayano and Radical Red romhacks. That name, Radical Red, sounds familiar. I think I read about that when learning about Pokemon Unbound. Perhaps from the same developer?

Any recommendations on the mainstream games? Are the new remakes worth it?

Years
Thanks Vee! I'll take a look into the Drayano and Radical Red romhacks. That name, Radical Red, sounds familiar. I think I read about that when learning about Pokemon Unbound. Perhaps from the same developer?

Any recommendations on the mainstream games? Are the new remakes worth it?

I don't know which main series games you've played or not, but Pokemon USUM are actually pretty challenging, even when doing just a standard run. While the game will hold your hand in terms of story progression, the actual boss fights are no joke. I believe it's also the first game in the franchise which introduced IVs/EVs for important trainers in the game such as your rivals and the Kahunas.

Not to mention, the Totem battles are often 2 VS 1 and they also get omniboosts at the start of the battle. A lot of them have great coverage as well. In most other Pokemon games, you can pretty much steamroll your way through any boss battle if you use type effectiveness to your advantage, but that doesn't always work in USUM.

Years
Hello & welcome!

The DP remakes are solid, but could've used some more polish (and bug fixing specifically).
For the Switch games there's also Sword/Shield, which are easy in terms of difficulty. If you look into these you should consider the expansion pass as without it the game feels kinda unfinished. IoA isn't that great, but Crown Tundra is. imo anyway
As for L:A.... it's not out yet and there's too many unknowns so I can't make a recommendation for it atm =p

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 4, 2023
I don't know which main series games you've played or not, but Pokemon USUM are actually pretty challenging, even when doing just a standard run. While the game will hold your hand in terms of story progression, the actual boss fights are no joke. I believe it's also the first game in the franchise which introduced IVs/EVs for important trainers in the game such as your rivals and the Kahunas.

Not to mention, the Totem battles are often 2 VS 1 and they also get omniboosts at the start of the battle. A lot of them have great coverage as well. In most other Pokemon games, you can pretty much steamroll your way through any boss battle if you use type effectiveness to your advantage, but that doesn't always work in USUM.

I've played everything up to sun and moon. I haven't played USUM yet, so I'll get started on those. Anywhere in these forums that have good information on Evs, Ivs and breeding/raising pokemon?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 4, 2023
Hello & welcome!

The DP remakes are solid, but could've used some more polish (and bug fixing specifically).
For the Switch games there's also Sword/Shield, which are easy in terms of difficulty. If you look into these you should consider the expansion pass as without it the game feels kinda unfinished. IoA isn't that great, but Crown Tundra is. imo anyway
As for L:A.... it's not out yet and there's too many unknowns so I can't make a recommendation for it atm =p

Thanks ReKoil! Are the remakes easier than Sword/Shield or about the same?

Years
I've played everything up to sun and moon. I haven't played USUM yet, so I'll get started on those. Anywhere in these forums that have good information on Evs, Ivs and breeding/raising pokemon?

I'm a new member myself so don't quote me on this, but I think the Gaming Central sub-forum would probably be your best bet for those kind of topics?

Years
Thanks ReKoil! Are the remakes easier than Sword/Shield or about the same?

hmm... I haven't finished BDSP yet, but it's been pretty easy so far (I'm 6 badges in.... and then I got distracted by shiny breeding in Shield xD).
Kinda hard to say when idk how hard the E4 will be yet.
Sword/Shield doesn't have an E4 btw, instead it has a tournament that you need to win so you can challenge the champion.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 4, 2023
hmm... I haven't finished BDSP yet, but it's been pretty easy so far (I'm 6 badges in.... and then I got distracted by shiny breeding in Shield xD).
Kinda hard to say when idk how hard the E4 will be yet.
Sword/Shield doesn't have an E4 btw, instead it has a tournament that you need to win so you can challenge the champion.

That's funny. I've definitely have had that happen before. I started playing digimon hackers memory and got bored about halfway through then started playing X and Y instead.
I didn't know that Sword/Shield didn't have an E4.

ShinyCinderace335

Shiny Hunter and Ranked Battler
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 11, 2022
Thanks for agreeing. Its even more difficult with the pandemic still going on. I've been looking around for more interesting experiences playing Pokémon and stumbled across the Romhacks section. Don't get me wrong, the main stream games are great (although I don't have the switch games yet) and I enjoy those a lot, but after playing Pokemon Unbound for a few hours and upping the difficulty, I'm now on the lookout for more of these. So far I only know of this one, but maybe someone could recommend other romhacks that I should I try?

I'll eventually get the switch games. Of the mainstream games, is it recommended to just wait for Legends Arceus? Or go for one of the remakes?

you should try playing Sword and Shield, it will help you be prepared for Legends Arceus

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Oh gosh, I don't know anything about rom hacks, let alone ones that are more challenging than others! I'm glad some people were able to give you recommendations! Definitely check the Fan Games section too, they'll be able to lead you in the direction you want.

Anyway, welcome to the forums!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 4, 2023
Oh gosh, I don't know anything about rom hacks, let alone ones that are more challenging than others! I'm glad some people were able to give you recommendations! Definitely check the Fan Games section too, they'll be able to lead you in the direction you want.

Anyway, welcome to the forums!

Thanks Fairy!

I'll look at the fan games section for more recommendations.

Years
Oh yeah Pokemon Unbound, 100% the hack of the year I believe. Very story heavy too, if you like more of those try Glazed, Gaia, and Dreams. If you like difficulty hacks try Drayano hacks like Vee said (Renegade Platinum, Blaze Black/Volt White 1&2, Sacred Gold/Storm Silver), or Radical Red, Emerald Kaizo, and Inclement Emerald.

Welcome to the forums...again hehe. I think I remember talking to you some time ago in the New User's Chit-Chat thread :)

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 4, 2023
Oh yeah Pokemon Unbound, 100% the hack of the year I believe. Very story heavy too, if you like more of those try Glazed, Gaia, and Dreams. If you like difficulty hacks try Drayano hacks like Vee said (Renegade Platinum, Blaze Black/Volt White 1&2, Sacred Gold/Storm Silver), or Radical Red, Emerald Kaizo, and Inclement Emerald.

Welcome to the forums...again hehe. I think I remember talking to you some time ago in the New User's Chit-Chat thread :)

Thanks Roni! Yeah we were chatting in the Chit-Chat thread.

Thanks for all these romhack recommendations. I'll won't be running out of anything to play that is for sure.

Back