• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

uhhh...hello

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2020
    Hi. I'm Niko. I'm not sure what to say here except the following...
    I'm not a competitive guy. I might partake in some competitive thing here and there, but I'm never in it to win. Just here to have a good time and do my best with what I have available to me.

With that said, I'm sure no one has thought of it, but I was thinking of something similar to like actual sports. Like a Pokemon League that focused on like a sorta...how does one put it. It's like this; players are divided up into teams like you would see in the NBA, NFL, NHL, CFL (canadian Football League), MLB, MLS (Major League Soccer), or FIFA. Teams participate in specific battle styles (monotypes, doubles, triples, rotations, etc.). You'd have a playoff to see which teams face off in the league championship.

If you've watched shows like Cardfight! Vanguard (which is a solo card game mind you) pull this off in a sorta weird sense. Instead of best of 5, you would cycle through the teams until a determined point total is reached, say 10 for a 5v5 match where winning the battle gets you two points. It's something I even talked to a few people at a Pokemon TCG event about. They said it's possible, but it would be somewhat hard to manage and somewhat expensive at the local level. I think it might be possible via Pokemon Showdown, but that's just me.

Anyways, thought I would say hi since I just arrived here. Lemme know what you guys think of my pitch. Also, if there's anywhere on the forums I should go to for any additional info, lemme know that too.

Keep it frosty like a Beartic
    Niko

TheeWizard

Brad
    Years
  • Hi. I'm Niko. I'm not sure what to say here except the following...
    I'm not a competitive guy. I might partake in some competitive thing here and there, but I'm never in it to win. Just here to have a good time and do my best with what I have available to me.

With that said, I'm sure no one has thought of it, but I was thinking of something similar to like actual sports. Like a Pokemon League that focused on like a sorta...how does one put it. It's like this; players are divided up into teams like you would see in the NBA, NFL, NHL, CFL (canadian Football League), MLB, MLS (Major League Soccer), or FIFA. Teams participate in specific battle styles (monotypes, doubles, triples, rotations, etc.). You'd have a playoff to see which teams face off in the league championship.

If you've watched shows like Cardfight! Vanguard (which is a solo card game mind you) pull this off in a sorta weird sense. Instead of best of 5, you would cycle through the teams until a determined point total is reached, say 10 for a 5v5 match where winning the battle gets you two points. It's something I even talked to a few people at a Pokemon TCG event about. They said it's possible, but it would be somewhat hard to manage and somewhat expensive at the local level. I think it might be possible via Pokemon Showdown, but that's just me.

Anyways, thought I would say hi since I just arrived here. Lemme know what you guys think of my pitch. Also, if there's anywhere on the forums I should go to for any additional info, lemme know that too.

Keep it frosty like a Beartic
    Niko

Hi Niko,

Welcome, and it's nice to meet you.
    I think your idea's are really interesting if you ever got a functioning version of this kind of league I'd really like to try it out.

I hope you can find what you're looking for here and I hope you have a nice time, I'd always be up for a chat if you'd like.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2020
    Thank you for making me feel welcome. I hope to find the information I'm looking for too.

TheeWizard

Brad
    Years
  • Thank you for making me feel welcome. I hope to find the information I'm looking for too.

You are most welcome! I wish I could be more helpful but I don't think I'd be much help. I never really competed in a tournament before, so am not too familiar on how they work and the rulings. I've always just used Smogons rulings.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2020
    Well that's alright. Do you know where in the forums I should pitch this idea of mine?

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2021
    If you could make a fan ROM with this mechanic, I would definantly play it! Way more engaging than x1 with every GYM or EF member in sequence.

Back