• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[RUBY] Physical/Special Split

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2024
    Good evening to all.
    Today i would like to explain how to implement the physical/special split, a feature introduced in the IV generation that involves assigning the type of a move, physical or special, based on different criteria than previous generations.
    In fact, until the III generation what discriminated a physical move from a special was the type (example: all the fight moves were physical, while all dark were special).
    From the IV generation, each move is physical or special regardless of its type.

*NB: Before proceeding further, if you are not familiar with inserting asm routines, i suggest you to read some tutorial about it.

#1 - Tools needed
    Spoiler:

#2 - Some changes with Hex Editor
    Spoiler:

#3 - Update the table
    Spoiler:

#4 - ASM routines and general explanations
    Spoiler:

I would like to thank Kurasukun who allowed me, through his pokeemerald disassembly guide, to terminate this implementation even for ruby.

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2020
    Thanks for this tutorial. I'm newbie in hacking rom, this was my first try and it worked. Then i tried PSS icon import (tutorial: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8293636&postcount=254), but that's not worked.
    Here is my offsets and edits:
    Inserted the uncompressed image with NSE, offset: 93F9C8
    In ASM data last line: .SplitImages: .word 0x0893F9C8
    Hex edits:
    Change 0x1C0F88, 0x1C1328 and 0x1C17A0 to C8 F9 93 08
    Change 0x1C0F54, 0x1C12F4 and 0x1C175A to 08 47
    Change 0x1C0F4E to 40 B4 00 26
    Change 0x1C12EE to 40 B4 01 26
    Change 0x1C1754 to 40 B4 02 26

What's the wrong with that?

RuFF

Hope you're having a RuFF day!
    Years

• I know this is an old tutorial, but for some reason. PSS only works with moves that are physical types. (Normal type moves, Fighting type moves, etc.) But gets ignored by Special Types (Grass type moves, Fire type moves, etc.)

Days
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    Good evening to all.
    Today i would like to explain how to implement the physical/special split, a feature introduced in the IV generation that involves assigning the type of a move, physical or special, based on different criteria than previous generations.
    In fact, until the III generation what discriminated a physical move from a special was the type (example: all the fight moves were physical, while all dark were special).
    From the IV generation, each move is physical or special regardless of its type.

*NB: Before proceeding further, if you are not familiar with inserting asm routines, i suggest you to read some tutorial about it.

#1 - Tools needed
    Spoiler:

#2 - Some changes with Hex Editor
    Spoiler:

#3 - Update the table
    Spoiler:

#4 - ASM routines and general explanations
    Spoiler:

I would like to thank Kurasukun who allowed me, through his pokeemerald disassembly guide, to terminate this implementation even for ruby.

can u make a little video on this or something? i have no idea what im doing :)

Back