• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Team Building Thread

Years
  • This thread is to discuss ideas, dynamics, and strategies for using monotype teams. Using monotype teams can be extremely strategic if you really research and understand the type you are using. It makes game playthroughs and battling far more challenging and entertaining, and I enjoy the idea of feeling like a gym leader. One of the most challenging aspects of using a monotype team is that your teams weaknesses are very visible and easy to exploit. As a monotype trainer, you need to understand your team's weaknesses and how to overcome them before you can start taking advantage of the perks that monotype teams can offer.

Using monotype teams in playthroughs has been made possible with Pokemon Sun & Moon and their removal of HMs. Before Gen 7 you either used to have an HM slave that wasn't of the typing or could only use monotype teams where one or more Pokemon could use Surf or Fly. Not anymore! I just recently completed my first monotype playthrough for Gen 7 using an all poison team. I'm currently using that team in Battle Spot with double battles, though I've been working on a strategy for single battles too. My next post will go into detail about my poison team.

Years
  • This is the Poison type team that I'm using in Battle Spot Double Battles.

1) Alolan Muk

alolan_muk_by_alexalan-dal2kye.png

Deviant Art - Alexalan

Type: Poison/Dark
    Nature: Hardy
    Ability: Poison Touch
    Held Item: Air Balloon

Moveset:
    Crunch
    Poison Gas
    Protect
    Gunk Shot

2) Drapion

jacob__s_drapion_by_jacoblionheart-d246u4r.png

Deviant Art - JacobLionheart

Type: Poison/Dark
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Sniper
    Held Item: Icium-Z

Moveset:
    Ice Fang
    Toxic Spikes
    Poison Jab
    Crunch

3) Crobat

crobat_by_queenofspectres-d8ylc4b.png

Deviant Art - Nvktia

Type: Poison/Flying
    Nature: Naive
    Ability: Inner Focus
    Held Item: None

Moveset:
    Steel Wing
    Cross Poison
    Leech Life
    Acrobatics

4) Nidoking

nidoking_by_eledusapo-d4vz75c.png

Deviant Art - Twime777

Type: Poison/Ground
    Nature: Lonely
    Ability: Rivalry
    Held Item: Groundium Z

Moveset:
    Megahorn
    Toxic Spikes
    Poison Jab
    Earthquake

Strategy: I open with Alolan Muk and Drapion. I've noticed that many trainers open with offensively powerful Pokemon, so I open with these two as they are tanky and have the Poison/Dark typing meaning their only weakness is Ground. With Earthquake being a popular move in double battles, I equip Muk with an air balloon so it can avoid those attacks. Typically, my opening attacks are Poison Gas from Muk and Toxic Spikes from Drapion. Poison Gas attacks and poisons both opponents, and a layer of toxic spikes will poison the the next Pokemon that are sent out (as long as they are not Poison, Steel, or Flying). For the next round, I have Muk use Protect while Drapion sends out another round of Toxic Spikes, this causes for the next Pokemon to be badly poisoned. Once these defensive measures have been set in place, I go for the offense while the Pokemon lose HP by poison. Now this is my typical strategy, but it can change with certain factors, for starters if the opponent opens with Pokemon that have major weaknesses against Alolan Muk or Drapion, then I will go ahead and start offensively and take them out. Specifically with Drapion, I had it learn Ice Fang with the Move Relearner so it could be equipped with Icium Z. Pokemon such as Garchomp and Dragonite are extremely popular in Battle Spot, so I've been able to take out many strong Pokemon using Icium Z and starting out offensively. Another instance where my strategy will change is if the opponent has a lot of Poison, Flying, or Steel type Pokemon on his team which would make my Toxic Spikes useless. In this scenario, I would still lay out a Poison Gas if able, and start offensively with Drapion. If the opponents Pokemon typing are also ineffective with Poison Gas, then I will start offensively with Alolan Muk too.

So if my Alolan Muk and Drapion are unable to take everyone out and faint, then my next Pokemon I send out is Crobat. There are no fancy techniques that I use with Crobat's strategy, Crobat is simply a Pokemon with high attack and speed stats, and a wide variety of moves that are super effective against many Pokemon. I use Crobat completely offensively and try to inflict as much damage as possible while it is out on the field. Lastly, I send out Nidoking as my last Pokemon. Nidoking has monster attack and is equipped with the ever popular Earthquake attack. With Crobat typically being the other Pokemon on the field when Nidoking is sent out, Earthquake will do no damage to Crobat as it is also a Flying Pokemon. Earthquake gets boosted by both STAB and Nidoking's high attack stats so it can do amazing damage. Nidoking's Megahorn is also useful as it can take out Psychic, Dark, and Grass types. I'm also thinking of replacing Nidoking's Toxic Spikes with Thunderbolt to be more effective against Water type Pokemon. So essentially, I use Nidoking and Crobat entirely offensively while Drapion's two layers of Toxic Spikes badly poisons the opponents Pokemon.

It's not a foolproof strategy (no strategy is unless you have ridiculous hack legendary Pokemon), but I've been able to defeat quite a few people with this team.

Years
  • these are my mono-type teams.. so far :)

pokemon blue: *i started it again on 11/1/2018*

spearow.png
    speadow - name: row
    attacks: peck, take down, razor wind, fly

clefairy.png
    clefairy - name: orin
    attacks: pound, sing, blizzard, flash

paras.png
    paras - name: tochuu
    attacks: scratch, leech life, body slam, cut

sandshrew.png
    sandshrew - name: sandy
    attacks: slash, swift, dig, strength

vaporeon.png
    eevee/vaporeon - name: mizuro
    attacks: tackle, surf, quick attack, watergun

ninetales.png
    vulpix/ninetales - name: willows
    attacks: flamethrower, confuse ray, quick attack, skull bash

pokemon firered:

rattata-f.png
    rattata (F) - name: tatta
    attacks: tackle, cut, quick attack, hyper fang
    nature: quirky
    ability: run away
    item:

pidgey.png
    pidgey (F) - name: poppo
    attacks: tackle, fly, gust, steel wing
    nature: mild
    ability: keen eye

jigglypuff.png
    jigglypuff (F) - name: puffy
    attacks: sing, rollout, flash, doubleslap
    nature: relaxed
    ability: cute charm

cubone.png
    cubone (F) - name: kara
    attacks: strength, boneclub, headbutt, leer
    nature: careful
    ability: lightning rod
    item: quick claw

horsea.png
    horsea (F) - name: tatu
    attacks: bubble, smokescreen, watergun, surf
    nature: bashful
    ability: swift swim
    item:

growlithe.png
    growlithe (F) - name: shula
    attacks: bite, dig, ember, attract
    nature: careful
    ability: intimidate
    item:

weedle.png
    weedle - name: stingy
    attacks: poison sting, string shot

ekans.png
    ekans - name: eki
    attacks: wrap, bite, poison sting, bite

oddish.png
    oddish - name: kusa
    attacks: solar beam, cut, petal dance, sleep powder

abra.png
    abra - name: houdini
    attacks: teleport, psychic, body slam, flash

doduo-f.png
    doduo - name: dodo
    attacks *so far*: peck, growl, fly

poliwag.png
    poliwag - name: romo
    attacks *so far*: bubble, hypnosis

Last edited:

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
    Years
  • these are my mono-type teams.. so far :)

Spoiler:

These aren't monotype teams, to be honest, because they don't all share the same type. On the first one, while Spearow and Clefairy share the Normal-type, Paras violates it because it's Bug/Grass. The second one looks promising to start, but is again violated by the presence of Cubone and Horsea. The third one has an Abra, a Doduo and a Poliwag in what appears to be a Poison team.

Back