• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need Help in Polishing Non-player Characters (some) + more ideas.

Zephdo

Pokemon Honor and Glory Co-Director
Years
  • Hello everyone~
    I need help in improving characters + recommendations in writing the story for a fangame.
    I made some characters using character tropes and sterotypes.
    So far I have these...
    Gym Leaders:
    • (dark type leader) - Laidback, cool and somewhat vain somewhat similar to Piers but a little more snob; #SnobbyFatGuy
    • (flying type leader) - Energetic, good willed tribal youngster who acts like a superhero; has an extreme sense of justice; BeastBoy/ Ben 10 vibes. (Somewhat obnoxious) #HeroKid
    • (ground type leader) - Clumsy, Amnesiac and Artistic lady. Heiress to her mother's mega-company but want's to pursue different path (Sculpting and Pottery). #MotherKnowsbest #FamilyDrama
    • (electric type leader) - Calm and Collected Athlete. AceTrainer type. Has eyes similar to brock (rivals with Water Leader); "always seems to be bothered/annoyed by something"
    • (ghost type leader) - Comedian, runs a stand up comedy cafe; somewhat in between Shauntal and Acerola (in age) ; makes bad punjokes all the time (ghost puns most of the time). #DarlingOfTheVillage
    • (Water Type leader) - The self proclaimed cool guy. Somewhat similar to Gordie but a little more muscular. Scared of the sea. Uses River-based water-type Pokemon instead. (rivals with electric leader) #BigMusclehead #LifeGuard #BigGoofyGuy #LaughsLoudlyGWAHAHA
    • (Steel) - #Aloof #Timid #TechnoNerd #Glasses #MadLadInventor; fraternal twins with Poison Type Leader
    • (Poison) - #PeachPinkHair #Glasses #Tsundere #Wiiiiiiiiiiild
    • (Fire) - Stern. #OkBoomer #Perfectionist #Everyone'sMother
    • (Dragon) - Laidback, Slacker Old Guy, Seer, often has hid head over the clouds #VillageElder #WisedAdvisor

Elite4
    • (Ice) - Cool Guy from SouthernKalos, Foreigner, SnowboardAthlete
    • (Grass) - serious guy, Pokemon Ranger. farmer, Gentle Giant. #HasDaddyissues
    • (Rock) - Rich fat lady (hag, really). President of a large business conglomerate. Mother of ground type leader #Motherknowsbest #FamilyDrama
    • (Fairy) - Not your ordinany Pokemon Idol. Similar to Whitney in temperament but gets ALL PHYSICAL. #QuiteTheDisturbedGirl #Bipolar #SomewhatSadistic

Champion: somewhat the moral map of the Pokemon league. Kind Guy more often works in the background, Peace maker. #SimpleJohn

also the local pokemon professor actually hates pokemon. #Irony

Last edited:

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Since I could not take a look at these kinds of things before and hoping it is not too late.

What I see are more general descriptors than anything else regarding character design and development. Also so far the descriptors don't really address their work as Gym Leaders - that is, how they fight, how they strategize. It is always cool that they have lives outside the job and all that, but unless you are going for something like the Dating Sim route, the main way the player will have for interacting with them is with the battles and their engagement should reflect that.

Some (also general) notes to get things started.

* Flying Type Hero Kid: I'm taking it here this is the kind of character who would also wander around and in general be not as available in their Gym as the League would like? The good you can do in the world is rather limited to your own square meter unless you do most of your work via a computer these days.

Can I ask what is the intended age range for this character?

* Electric Brock, or as I've come to call him, Electrock: Usually Electricity powers are tied to being energetic and all that in classical character design. For a more collected character you can draw a lot of mileage on working with the concepts of capacitors, batteries and things like solar panels and otherwise passive energy collection systems. Tide braking (I think it's the name) technology for drawing energy from sea tides would give this character an interesting relation with the Water Gym Leader, not to mention interesting design and location options for the Gym.

* Dragon: When you think dragon, seer and laidback, you usually think back to the sage dragons who usually do next to nothing but nap from one civilization to the next. Would likely see job as the advisor to a local council or government branch that does mostly long-term job past things like presidential terms. I'm thinking rural planning. Gym design could go for a "job in, job out" paradigm where you can enter a certain way and follow a given "procedure" to have your request for a Gym Battle acknowledged, but then moving out to do the next useful thing requires you to solve a minor puzzle or otherwise do something else that is not the usual walk-out-the-main-door.

Zephdo

Pokemon Honor and Glory Co-Director
    Years
  • Since I could not take a look at these kinds of things before and hoping it is not too late.

What I see are more general descriptors than anything else regarding character design and development. Also so far the descriptors don't really address their work as Gym Leaders - that is, how they fight, how they strategize. It is always cool that they have lives outside the job and all that, but unless you are going for something like the Dating Sim route, the main way the player will have for interacting with them is with the battles and their engagement should reflect that.

Some (also general) notes to get things started.

* Flying Type Hero Kid: I'm taking it here this is the kind of character who would also wander around and in general be not as available in their Gym as the League would like? The good you can do in the world is rather limited to your own square meter unless you do most of your work via a computer these days.

Can I ask what is the intended age range for this character?

* Electric Brock, or as I've come to call him, Electrock: Usually Electricity powers are tied to being energetic and all that in classical character design. For a more collected character you can draw a lot of mileage on working with the concepts of capacitors, batteries and things like solar panels and otherwise passive energy collection systems. Tide braking (I think it's the name) technology for drawing energy from sea tides would give this character an interesting relation with the Water Gym Leader, not to mention interesting design and location options for the Gym.

* Dragon: When you think dragon, seer and laidback, you usually think back to the sage dragons who usually do next to nothing but nap from one civilization to the next. Would likely see job as the advisor to a local council or government branch that does mostly long-term job past things like presidential terms. I'm thinking rural planning. Gym design could go for a "job in, job out" paradigm where you can enter a certain way and follow a given "procedure" to have your request for a Gym Battle acknowledged, but then moving out to do the next useful thing requires you to solve a minor puzzle or otherwise do something else that is not the usual walk-out-the-main-door.

Hi! Thank you so very much, the Electrock guy; his name is Elz(i)o is supposed to be in his late 20's/ early 30', he has the same vibes as Norman of Petalburg Gym ; he is around the same age as the Water Gym leader, Alonso

The Dragon sage is the Elder/keeper of the relic fragment of the box legendary; he also wears masks and is sometimes "delusional" and eccentric; haven't really though about their battle styles yet. He's in his 70/80 but is still able to stand without a walking stick/cane

The flying type kid is revamped a little; he is an apprentice to a courier company that uses bird Pokemon to deliver mail and lightweight cargo; He is still obnoxious tho; I planned that his way of "heroism" is that he organizes his gym trainers/ friends to patrol the city when it's breaktime at the Gym;

Thank you once again for helping me with this! i really appreciate it!

Last edited:
    Back