• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should I switch to a decomp?

Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2022
    Working on a Pokemon Emerald romhack. It's a pretty extensive project with a lot of new maps. Most are done, but none of the scripting is done. Before I start working on said scripting, should I switch to a decomp? Would it be possible to import my current maps made with advancemap into a decomp?

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Before I start working on said scripting, should I switch to a decomp?
    If you believe that it'll be worth your while compared to binary hacking (and normally, it will, specially because we're talking about modifying Pokémon Emerald), yes.
    Would it be possible to import my current maps made with advancemap into a decomp?
    Yes, it is technically possible. Spherical Ice, creator of Pokémon Gaia, found out how to do it.
    Spherical Ice 08/27/2020
    TIL if you remove the first x1c bytes of a .map export from amap 1.9.2 it can replace a .map file in the decomps and work perfectly

There's also a PR opened on Porymap's GitHub repository, and when it's merged, the program will have the ability to import Advance Maps built-in.
    However, there's no telling when or if it will get merged.

EDIT: As soon as I submitted this post I went to Pret's Discord server to ask about it, and the PR was merged.
    This means that effectively, builds of Porymap compiled from this point onwards, are now capable of importing maps made using Advance Map into a decomp project.

Last edited:
    Back