• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film So I finally watched The Truman Show, and I have several speculative questions

Pig

Angry ecologist
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 16, 2023
First one being, doesn't that make the people Truman grew up with his entire lives just as well victims in this whole situation? He grew up right next to and with these people, so he'd know instantly if they were just swapped for different actors. and all these people had to live this life right alongside him, how is it not considered a very big part of their lives as well and not just a job they've been assigned since birth?

Has he never walked around at night, to go do stuff at night, or drive around? I get they set him up to be afraid of everything so he wouldn't try to leave the boundaries, but I mean even just within his own little town, like, go out in the middle of the night to get gas station slurpee, or a burger at mcdonalds or something, like I do all the time.

But another thing, my favourite part actually, is the scene where he's trying to have an actual conversation with his "wife," and she just responds with advertising instead, and he looks around like, "wtf are you talking about?"
He was 30, right? How do you get married to someone you went to high school with and never have a real down to earth conversation with them about literally anything and everything?

If the extras aren't allowed to talk to him, how do they get away with nobody ever talking to him, say, casual conversations while standing in line for things, or making friends in class?

Where does he think his wife goes at night when she's not spending it with him?

Do people live on set in the fake neighborhoods? Wouldn't that just make them real neighborhoods, then? What if he ran to a neighbors house in the middle of the night needing help and he found out that nobody was actually there, ever?

Anyway, very cool movie, I think they pulled the concept off very well. Just wish we saw more into the inner workings of the status quo they maintained, and more of the "Free Truman!" activism that was going on outside.

Inky

:pleading_face:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
These are some real interesting questions I'm gonna have a think so ur thread flops no longer friend :femme:

Years
thanks for pointing this thread out on Discord lmao. never would've seen it bcs of how well camouflaged it is + the fact that i barely visit this section lol. saw the movie a while back and it was pretty enjoyable. i do agree it's plothole city though.

i'd like to think there'd be rotating shift of staff to maintain night times when he's asleep, so they can prepare something if he tries random stuff like going out cuz he feels like it lol.

i do agree though that the actors that he interacts with a lot literally need to live on set alongside him. only difference is that they're aware of the outside world. i'm amazed that even after 30 years, no one complained about wanting to leave or something lmao.

also, just wanna say that they lucked the hell out with choosing truman for the show. he grew up to be a perfectly healthy person that didn't need any constant medication or visits to hospitals. i'd imagine that'd be awful for show ratings and it would've been cancelled a lot earlier.

Pig

Angry ecologist
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 16, 2023
Sorry I'm just seeing this! aha

i'm amazed that even after 30 years, no one complained about wanting to leave or something lmao.

He almost got it out of them once though! When he was grabbing for attention and held his "wife" at knifepoint and stopped when she yelled "do something!"
They then just wrote her off as wanting a divorce and she was free. But she had been on the show and with him his and her whole life. How must that affect her mentally? I also want to know how they planned on actually having a child and making Truman a dad.
Would the kid end up also locked off to the outside world as a new Truman Show spectacle while their mom would go out and do her own thing?

I need like a 50 chapter textbook on these rules.

Years
He almost got it out of them once though! When he was grabbing for attention and held his "wife" at knifepoint and stopped when she yelled "do something!"
They then just wrote her off as wanting a divorce and she was free. But she had been on the show and with him his and her whole life. How must that affect her mentally? I also want to know how they planned on actually having a child and making Truman a dad.
Would the kid end up also locked off to the outside world as a new Truman Show spectacle while their mom would go out and do her own thing?

I need like a 50 chapter textbook on these rules.

yeah it's a family show right? what would they air during the ~2 hour sex scene that Truman and Meryl would eventually have? and the kid yeesh. the legal documents needed for that one... for sure they'd keep that child on set and show their growth. perhaps a continuation of the show or something under the name of the child.

i'd like to believe it sort of affected her in some way, but i honestly don't know, maybe she's able to leave the set every now and then and has her own life and family outside? and being with Truman is pretty much just an extended-hour job for her or something.

Years
I'd really like to see an extended scenes version, with more younger versions of Truman as he was growing up, completely unaware of any goof-ups that happen, as people rush to cover them up without being noticed. I'm sure that, over time, as goof-ups got out-of-hand, it got more difficult to maintain the illusion that Christof wanted to maintain, leading into the scenes that play out in The Truman Show.

How do all the people that were a part of Truman's world feel after the show ended? All the actors feel like they worked as an actor for 20, 30 years in the Truman Show, but maybe they think of themselves as lifeguards, doctors, or store owners now too? They'd have skills that could be convincing enough to actually work in a real society..

Not least of all, I hope Truman adjusts well to the real world. I can only imagine how he feels after he leaves that old world behind, where his life was carefully maintained, and enters a new world with unfamiliar surroundings where a lot of people live that saw him grow up. They would know a lot more about him than he would know about them. That'd be creepy, especially while he tries to adjust to a world where he finally isn't being tracked 24/7 (until 2016 when he gets an android phone lol).

Back