• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New to collecting

Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2019
    Hi all,

Like most people around my age (im 27) I collected pokemon base set cards when they were as easy as chocolate to buy!

fast forward several years and I find myself with the urge of getting back into collecting pokemon cards, but not in the way that I want to complete sets (thats boring - no offence) but rather a different idea..

would collecting GX/EX cards only be a viable collection?

I know that there are people that only collect certain pokemon eg pikachu but thats something that doesnt appeal to me either

so with my idea, there are normal ones, full arts, rainbows etc.

is it a viable option? or am i just living in a fantasy world?

its either this or yugioh so be kind ;) hahaha

Years
  • Hi all,

Like most people around my age (im 27) I collected pokemon base set cards when they were as easy as chocolate to buy!

fast forward several years and I find myself with the urge of getting back into collecting pokemon cards, but not in the way that I want to complete sets (thats boring - no offence) but rather a different idea..

would collecting GX/EX cards only be a viable collection?

I know that there are people that only collect certain pokemon eg pikachu but thats something that doesnt appeal to me either

so with my idea, there are normal ones, full arts, rainbows etc.

is it a viable option? or am i just living in a fantasy world?

its either this or yugioh so be kind ;) hahaha

It would be as far as personal collecting. If you're expecting to be able to show up to a league with them and be able to play, that's a different story, but just for collecting? Yeah. May wanna focus on lowercase ex cards first as they're older and rarer and starting to climb in price and then focus on uppercase EX cards second as they're more recent but also not standard legal, so they'll generally be cheaper, before moving onto GXs later when the first of them are likely to rotate out of the standard format sometime after August 2019.

The way you'd have to go about it is by buying singles, though.

Years
  • I've been getting back into collecting and I set my goal to get every full art Trainer cause I think the cards are just beautiful. Also I want to see if I can get a Team Up Master Set and how long that will take me :D
    I think you should just find what you like the most and start with those cards :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    There are literally no rules for collecting! :) You're free to start wherever you want in your collection. Collect all the cards, collect only rares/holos, collect promos, collect ex, collect delta species.. anything you want! The most important thing is that you have fun!

For instance, I specifically only collect pre E-Reader cards, misprints, promos, and Fairies. n_n; But I do have a binder dedicated to "everything else".

Last edited:

Poke Andy

AndyTube
    Years
  • Yeah you could easily set that goal for yourself but the issue is not can you do it, it is how much money and time to you want to "waste" on purchasing cards for the ultra rares alone? I say waste because that is what you would be doing really as you only want the ultras and you would need to buy heaps and heaps and heaps of booster boxes or packs alone to find a few. The secret rares are just that, super hard to find and you would go through a thousand cards and maybe not get one. Each to their own, nothing is wrong.

Lil_Mew19

I'm soft uwu
    Years
  • There's really no rules with collecting; every person's collection is unique. If you're willing to buy lots and lots of cards for that Ultra Rare, then I'd say do it. If you think you can buy tons of GX card boxes for a big collection of GXes, then go for it. If you want to search online for those original cards from long, long ago (believe me, they're out there. Just hard to find), then I'll cheer you on. It all depends on preference, interest, and what you're looking for. Just find what you like and get your collection started. There's really no rules. :)

P.S. I'd love for you to dm me some photos of your collection once you get a good amount :)​

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2020
    I just try to collect a lot of Pokémon cards. I want to collect all the incineraors Im half way done got one secret rare only need a few more and also I have three none secret rares. so I collect I lot of cards.

Back