• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music [Album of the Week #2] Teenage Emotions - Lil Yachty

Cay

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2022
    Album of the Week #2 - Teenage Emotions
    lil-yachty-teenage-e-964d.jpg

Teenage Emotions - Lil Yachty
    ?????

Before you read the review, I'd like to give a *disclaimer* that this album is heavily NSFW, and some of the lyrics I will be mentioning in this review are as well. So, if you're not comfortable with that sort of content, I'd advise against reading this.

Background

Teenage Emotions is Yachty's first studio album, and 3rd project overall, following Lil Boat and Summer Songs 2. At 18 years old, Yachty blew up in early 2016 after his song One Night and his verse on D.R.A.M.'s song, Broccoli, started gaining traction online. His first tape, Lil Boat, was met with positive reception, and became one of rap's newest icons, with a unique hairstyle and music style. He describes his music style as "Bubblegum Trap", as many of his beats sample works like the Rugrats, Super Mario, and even the GameCube start up. Rolling Stone described his music as "catchy, intentionally dinky-sounding tunes packed with off-color boasts delivered in a proudly amateurish singsong."

Before I talk about the music, I?d like to appreciate the cover. The whole concept of diversity and finding a common ground is what I took from it, and I think it?s a dope piece of artwork. Anyways, onto the album. This definitely is a summer album, as Yachty comes through with multiple pop anthems and overall nice music for a beach picnic. It?s a really themed project, and listening to it is supposed to bring you back to your teenage years.

Dislikes

From what we have seen of Yachty in the past, he?s capable of making a fun pop-rap record. Tracks like Minnesota, Wanna Be Us, and One Night still are often played from me from his first mixtape. The simplicity yet neo-childish beats set him apart as a unique artist, yet it seems as he?s lost what made him himself on this new album. Most of the tracks seem to be Yachty trying to experiment with new styles, a few of which work, but the majority simply do not. For the example, he tries to create 80s ballads on tracks like Lady In Yellow, yet also features Atlanta trap. Not that I expected any Shakespearian dialogue from Yachty, but this album is not lyrically profound in the slightest. Not one line I heard made me really think or caught my attention, besides from the atrociously incorrect wordplay such as ?she blow me like a cello?. Almost none of the tracks were even memorable, as well. After my first listen, I could only remember about 3 tracks out of 21. Speaking of the 21 tracks, this album is extremely long, and truth be told, Yachty doesn?t hold much variety. It seems like the same track?s been playing over and over again, just with different lyrics. A lot of the production isn't even the same style, which could be a good thing, but he tried to take a more acoustic approach which really doesn't support his voice at all. I?m a fan of Yachty?s work, but I really don?t think anyone wants to hear over an hour of auto-tuned crooning.

Favorite tracks

The one track I really enjoyed from this is All Around Me, which features YG and Kamaiyah. From the production to the features, this is just a fun, upbeat track which I adore. This gave the listener a glimpse of the Yachty we?ve seen in the past. It?s energetic, it?s dynamic, and it?s just a summer party anthem. In my opinion, Kamiayah?s verse really shines through, as does YG?s. This song is certainly going on my summer playlist this year. There?s not really much else I can say about it, it?s just a fun song, and that?s what Yachty is best at creating.

Least favorite tracks

Honestly, I didn?t really like the remainder of the tracks on this album, but the song Priorities really stood out to me as a disaster of a track. Priorities is a ?I?m a cheater and I ain?t shit? song in its prime, which can be a good thing in some circumstances. For example, It Wasn?t Me by Shaggy is still a classic, and it covered the same material. However, this just takes the concept, and runs it into a wall. Every single line on this song is just awful. Especially ?'Cause she get wet and she suck me like a insect / She my step sister, so I guess that's incest / I could not stop lookin' at those big breasts?. I don?t really think I have to talk more about this song, as that simply says enough about this project as a whole.

Conclusion

You know, I really wanted to like this album. I really did. I?m a big fan of Yachty?s other works, and I thought with his big commercial debut, he?d cook something good up. But, this album just felt like a big disappointment to me. With atrocious struggle bars and straight up annoying production, I can assure you that if you haven?t listened to this project, you aren?t missing out on anything at all. I give this project a solid one star. Sorry, Boat.​

Thanks for reading! Feel free to leave any thoughts of your own below, this is an open discussion!​

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Great review, and I agree with most of the points you made. I had very low expectations for this album, but it didn?t even live up to those. The best parts of the album were the cover art and Yachty not knowing that a cello isn?t a wind instrument.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • The only reason I know of Lil Yachty is due to the whole 'Squidward plays the cello' debacle. Glad to know I don't actually have to check his music out!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm probably being a dick by not actually listening to the album here, but it's like. I want to like Yachty because I like his ideas and his vibe, but at the same time, two big hits he's a part of he totally ruins it. "Turn this shit to Columbine" in Broccoli is really inappropriate. I know that was in 1999, but Columbine was a murder-suicide. I could understand the analogy if he compared it to just a fight, but...come on now lol. And then "all my bitches come in pairs like balls in my nutsack" in iSpy is so off-putting. Kyle set such a light-hearted silly mood with the first half of the track and then YACHTY COMES IN. Like man leave your testicles out of it lmfao.

That all being said, I may try to give this a listen at some point, but if I'm going to have to endure more cringeworthy lines like that (and they're not minor enough to forgive entirely, they just detract so much from the mood of those songs) then I'm not going to bother.

Cay

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2022
    I'm probably being a dick by not actually listening to the album here, but it's like. I want to like Yachty because I like his ideas and his vibe, but at the same time, two big hits he's a part of he totally ruins it. "Turn this shit to Columbine" in Broccoli is really inappropriate. I know that was in 1999, but Columbine was a murder-suicide. I could understand the analogy if he compared it to just a fight, but...come on now lol. And then "all my bitches come in pairs like balls in my nutsack" in iSpy is so off-putting. Kyle set such a light-hearted silly mood with the first half of the track and then YACHTY COMES IN. Like man leave your testicles out of it lmfao.

That all being said, I may try to give this a listen at some point, but if I'm going to have to endure more cringeworthy lines like that (and they're not minor enough to forgive entirely, they just detract so much from the mood of those songs) then I'm not going to bother.

I'd reccomend listening to Lil Boat, his first tape. There aren't any big struggle bars like broccoli or this album at all, and it's certainly more fun and upbeat and he doesn't take himself seriously at all, like he tried to do here.

Back