• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help for learning and scripting!

Years
  • Hi guys!
    A few years ago, I took a programming course where I studied Python briefly. Correct me if I'm wrong: Are scripts equivalent to functions? Where do I want to use that command over and over, and simplify on a one-line call?

If so, I believe I am on the right path. Because my point is: I intend not only to receive a ready script, but to learn how script creation works, as I intend to make some in my game.

For example, in my game, you will have 3 fixed Pokémon. From the professor, you can use one more, among several options, and constantly switch between them. That is, fixed: Pokés A, B, C; and professor a, b, c, d, e, f, ...
    Options: (ABCa), (ABCy); (ABCh) ...
    If the fourth Pokémon is a Pikachu, while it has this Pokémon, it will have a switch or variable identifying it.
    When changing, it would have the script that identifies which extra pokémon he has, removes only him from the party, places the new desired pokémon, and activates the switch / variable of this new pokémon.
    If I do it for events, I would have to copy and paste many lines, many times, and the idea would be to simplify this in a script command.

What language is used in Essentials? Would there be a video tutorial to professor this? How can I proceed with creating more scripts?

Years
  • Hi guys!
    A few years ago, I took a programming course where I studied Python briefly. Correct me if I'm wrong: Are scripts equivalent to functions? Where do I want to use that command over and over, and simplify on a one-line call?

If so, I believe I am on the right path. Because my point is: I intend not only to receive a ready script, but to learn how script creation works, as I intend to make some in my game.

For example, in my game, you will have 3 fixed Pokémon. From the professor, you can use one more, among several options, and constantly switch between them. That is, fixed: Pokés A, B, C; and professor a, b, c, d, e, f, ...
    Options: (ABCa), (ABCy); (ABCh) ...
    If the fourth Pokémon is a Pikachu, while it has this Pokémon, it will have a switch or variable identifying it.
    When changing, it would have the script that identifies which extra pokémon he has, removes only him from the party, places the new desired pokémon, and activates the switch / variable of this new pokémon.
    If I do it for events, I would have to copy and paste many lines, many times, and the idea would be to simplify this in a script command.

What language is used in Essentials? Would there be a video tutorial to professor this? How can I proceed with creating more scripts?

Chalk33

Ex-watchmaker from Polyhex (not even a Pokémon thi
    Years
  • Well, I can't address much of your post since I don't know the answers to much of it myself (even though I've had a Python class as well, or rather I'm about to finish it now actually). However, I can at least tell you the language: Ruby. It definitely has a fair few differences to Python, though it's not worlds apart. I'd be surprised if there weren't any Ruby tutorials out there. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Good luck!

Years
  • What language is used in Essentials? Would there be a video tutorial to professor this? How can I proceed with creating more scripts?
    Essentials uses RGSS or Ruby Game Scripting System which takes Ruby as base. Ruby is quite similar to Python, like different syntaxes remain same.

You can watch "How to make a Pokemon Game" Series on YouTube by Thundaga! They are great!
    Link- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuIp7Uf7pllmpcFOHbj4r8cVQYywpRZB5

Pokemon Essentials isn't all about Scripting, it has other event calls and stuff. Watch the video of Thundaga to learn!(Please do some research on Google)

Years
  • Essentials uses RGSS or Ruby Game Scripting System which takes Ruby as base. Ruby is quite similar to Python, like different syntaxes remain same.

You can watch "How to make a Pokemon Game" Series on YouTube by Thundaga! They are great!
    Link- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuIp7Uf7pllmpcFOHbj4r8cVQYywpRZB5

Pokemon Essentials isn't all about Scripting, it has other event calls and stuff. Watch the video of Thundaga to learn!(Please do some research on Google)

I had already seen their videos, including the video on script. But what I would like to do is create a new script from scratch.
    Anyway, thanks for the informations.

Back