• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 3] OU (Seeking Meta Advice)

Burtle

Discord: Burtle#6904
Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2019
    I'm seeking a detailed breakdown of the Gen 3 OU meta. I'm terribly afraid of Skarmory/Swampert, as you'll be able to figure out https://pokepast.es/891e89d83f0ad2e2
    I really like Jolteon and Aerodactyl as revenge killers, so I wouldn't mind them replacing a team member or two
    Snorlax and Umbreon also give me minor concerns

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Tyranitar @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 188 HP / 240 SpA / 80 Spe
    Naughty Nature
    - Rock Slide
    - Pursuit / Ice Beam / Crunch
    - Fire Blast
    - Hidden Power [Grass]

Evs were a bit random, those let you hit hard with its SAtk, live a CB EQ from Dug (if its not been banned yet). The Speed EVs outspeed 4 Speed Skarmory, allowing Tyranitar to Fire Blast before they have a chance to use Spikes which your team hates. EQ doesnt hit anything relevant harder than your other moves, other than other Tars and Raikou but neither of them want to take Rock Slides anyway. If you're good at predicting you can use Focus Punch in that second slot too to hit other tar, bliss, lax, umbreon and pals harder too.

Heracross @ Liechi Berry / Leftovers
    Ability: Swarm
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Megahorn
    - Hidden Power [Fighting]
    - Rock Slide
    - Swords Dance

EQ again doesnt cover much, Rock Slide is superior in terms of coverage. Berry is a bit random lol.

Salamence @ Petaya Berry / Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature
    - Brick Break
    - Fire Blast
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Dragon Claw

Berry is a bit random again lol. Brick Break > EQ to hit Bliss, Tar harder, Snorlax, Umbreon etc.

Metagross @ Leftovers
    Ability: Clear Body
    EVs: 188 HP / 160 Atk / 160 SpA
    Brave Nature
    - Meteor Mash
    - Earthquake / Psychic
    - Explosion
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

EVS live a DD boosted EQuake from T-Tar and cripples walls. HP Fire over T-Punch here, you cover Forretress too so it cant Spike on you every time it comes in which will cripple your team as you have little to no recovery and no way to remove Spikes. Explosion still crushes Swampert and other bulky waters should they want to try and wall you, it also serves as a panic button against bulky stat uppers like CroCune (and possibly Lax) who does nasty things to your team. Psychic covers stuff like Weezing and other stuff that invests heavily in def at the expense of SDef, so is an option due to STAB.

Flygon @ Liechi Berry
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Fire Blast
    - Giga Drain

I feel like this slot could be put to better use tbh. You have no answer to CroCune and your team hates Status, im thinking a status absorber like Rest Talk Raikou or Zapdos would work without being total Spikes set up bait. Heal Bell Celebi with Leech Seed might work well too here to provide some much needed utility to the team.

Swampert @ Leftovers
    Ability: Torrent
    EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Sp.D
    Relaxed Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Rest
    - Ice Beam / Rock Slide / Surf

- Curse

Evs didnt help/ werent optimal. Needs Rest or its asking to get worn down, plus this facilitates a sweep better due to increased longevity. This would also work rther well with a celebi with heal bell support too and leech seed js. ;) Just be careful because it is set up fodder for all the Spikers in the tier (Cloyster, Fory and Skarm) especially early game and your team has no answer to Spikes.

Comments in bold.

Last edited:
    Back