• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Words you tend to avoid

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • What are words you just avoid writing in your stories?

I, for example, hate spelling out stethoscope, so I choose to instead avoid it and called it a "medical instrument" and describe the act of using it because that word is so hard to remember how to even spell. What's funny is I have a character who is a medic/doctor and I feel ashamed I hate spelling this word and just avoid writing it.

Also tend to avoid using curse words in dialogue nowadays.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Yeah, I don't throw curses around much either. They're for emphasis, if I use the word itself, or to get the vibe I'll write "[Character] curses softly." I think I try to keep away from a lot of slang as well- I'm not sure if that's a matter of me myself feeling like it foesn't belong in my mouth or if I just feel like it doesn't belong in my dialogue. I guess we'll see when I start pushing the '80s slang for Sabbatical '84 lmao.

Mostly it depends on the POV I'm writing, honestly. My current characters don't think in particularly complex language, and Marie is the only one that has a more formal speech pattern. So I keep away from scientific terms, from florid descriptors, from anything that's not pretty common language. I don't think there are any words I avoid for personal aversion- only for context or connotation, you know?

Back