• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Profane Pokemon?

NergyTheMighty

Can't we all just get along? Pretty please?
Years
  • Hello, Pokecommuters out there!

I'm just starting this thread mainly just for kicks, but also to help archive art choices in Pokemon games that...may not have helped the public much.

Take for instance Registeel's infamous pose from Diamond and Pearl:

*Nazism intensifies*

Apart from that though, there are some other sprites throughout the games I thought sent messages that probably should not have been seen by young gamers that should have more of a mention.

Another notable one is the sailor from Generation II:
    130px-0%2C57%2C0%2C56-SailorGSCsprite.png

Notice how his arms are crossed in a way that resemble the "Up yours!" pose, a very offensive pose in western regions.

Oddly enough, the pose was about to be kept in all versions of the Gen III games as well, but they fixed it at the last minute, phew...:
    Spr_RS_Sailor_JP.png
    (JP)
    Spr_RS_Sailor.png
    (US/PAL)

Alright, now for some lesser-known offensive Pokemon sprites...

The Sandshrew line seems to act rather vulgar in the Hoenn region compared to other regions, something in the sand?
    sandshrew.png
    (Flipping the bird)
    sandslash.png
    ("Kiss my ass!")

The last one I can think of is Nidoqueen's Silver sprite. Makes you wonder how she ever became a queen in the first place...
    nidoqueen.png

What other sprites in the games do YOU think are vulgar? Let me know below!

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    Pokemon is so tame, I feel a lot of controversies are imagined by the populace, rather than being intended or were purely coincidental.

For example, back in the day, everyone thought Jynx was a black stereotype, even though the blackness was supposed to represent a 'void' of nothing and the design style was influenced by Japanese Ganguro rather than African people.

ganguru2.jpg

This is Ganguro.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Pokemon is so tame, I feel a lot of controversies are imagined by the populace invented by people looking for reasons to feel offended, rather than being intended or were purely coincidental.
    FTFY

That's how it works in modern times, really. Jynx, the "Nazi salute" (I raise my left arm everyday for a variety of reasons, really), if one really wants to look deep into it the Japancentrism in the design of the older Generations.

I'm reminded of a Trainer duo with an Onyx and a Cloyster in the games, that comes to mind but can't remember which game was that.

Has anyone asked Palkia about the shape of his body?

Last edited:

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
    Years
  • Most of these don't strike me as offensive, but I am suspicious of Hypno. As stated in the Dex, it is known to abduct children - very creepy.

Back