• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should I Get These Cards Graded?

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2012
I have these cards, all of which in great condition (which is why I would consider getting them graded).

Gengar 1st Edition Fossil
Shining Magikarp 66/64
Japanese Shining Noctowl No. 164
Shining Steelix 112/105
Shining Tyranitar 113/105
Shining Kabutops 108/105
Base Set Charizard
Japanese Red Gyarados 3 stars No. 130

Should I get them graded? Who would you recommend grade them?

I have a collection of over 350 HOLOS, all are in good-excellent condition, should I just get them all graded or would that be way too expensive? (I also have over 1,500 non holo's as well as topps cards). Whats the best way to go about selling them? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Years
Well, as far as I'm aware, the PSA grading for each card costs $30 per card, so you definitely do not want to have all 350 holos graded. Pretty much the only stuff worth the grading is the cards that are at $30 in value already without the PSA grading. Without bothering to look up prices, the only one that really has a shot at fitting that description is the Base Set Charizard, which would have to be 1st edition in order to be worth that much, if I am recalling its value correctly for the various versions of the card.

As for which grading organization to use, PSA seems to be pretty much the only organization used by Pokemon sellers.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2012
Well, as far as I'm aware, the PSA grading for each card costs $30 per card, so you definitely do not want to have all 350 holos graded. Pretty much the only stuff worth the grading is the cards that are at $30 in value already without the PSA grading. Without bothering to look up prices, the only one that really has a shot at fitting that description is the Base Set Charizard, which would have to be 1st edition in order to be worth that much, if I am recalling its value correctly for the various versions of the card.

As for which grading organization to use, PSA seems to be pretty much the only organization used by Pokemon sellers.

Thanks for the reply. I was also wondering how is the Pokemon card market currently? If I was looking to sell them, should I hold off or sell now?

Years
If I were you, I might wait until after Christmas for those who are selling at lower prices to disappear off of eBay. I'd spend the next few weeks monitoring completed auctions on eBay closely, to see if the trend is up or down. Do note that individual cards fluctuate more than the market as a whole does, and no matter when you sell, you may go weeks without a card selling because no one's who's interested has the money or no one wants to buy it at the price you've listed.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Sep 10, 2015
I would actually grade those, but ONLY if you think they will receive a gem mint 10. You can get a discount for sending in many at once, I don't know the exact rates because it's an American thing but you can definitely email them to find out. And by "them", I mean PSA. For pokemon, PSA seems to be the only acceptable grading service, not sure why. There is a trend right now for buying PSA graded cards, you can sell them on ebay with a considerable mark-up depending on what grade they receive. The risk is, if they receive less than an 8 it will end up being a waste of money because you'll have to break it out of the case to have a chance at selling it.

Back