• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

alternative type triangles

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • So, here is a list of every single Type Triangle in the games. There's rather more than I thought, given that I've never really fully memorized type effectiveness. This brings up an interesting question - what if we had Starter Pokémon using a different triangle than Fire/Water/Grass? This is unlikely, but do you think it's something Game Freak would ever try? And which type triangle would you want it to be? How do you think that might affect gameplay?

I imagine it probably wouldn't be one with an immunity somewhere in the triangle. At least, that'd certainly make Rival battles suck.

Reactions: EC

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I've always like the idea of Fighting/Psychic/Dark trio. It really would be good to change the formula up, the current type trio is starting to feel quite stale after seven generations of the same types. The designs are cool but I think starters could have so much more potential if they branch out further than just the usual Fire/Grass/Water.

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
  • The Kalos starters all had Dark/Fighting/Psychic as their secondary types, of course.

For me, an Ice/Flying/Fighting or Ice/Ground/Steel triangle would be cool.

Or for sheer laziness, how about Ghost/Ghost/Ghost. {XD}

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • Or better yet Dragon/Dragon/Dragon?

Idk I really like Water/Electric/Ground, although theres an immunity there so of course it couldnt work unless the Electric starter's second ability was a 'hit also immune types' one whih would be pretty cool on a starter?

Years
  • Seeing as Game Freak seem to be switching things up in Sun and Moon, maybe we'll see a different type triangle for the starters in the next couple of generations? I for one would love to see Ground/Steel/Ice used and think it could offer some cool Pokemon, it wouldn't really affect the gameplay too much, but give us a somewhat different experience as our starter would be a different type.

Years
  • I like that Flying/Fighting/Rock is completely equal in its effectiveness and resistances, just like Grass/Fire/Water. (The only other one that comes to mind which doesn't have immunities or missing resistance is Grass/Poison/Ground, I think.) I can't imagine they'd ever change the normal trio of types though, not unless it was part of some bigger change to the games and/or the type chart.

Like, I'd be all for the change, I just don't see it happening.

LucarioFan3

Needs A New Username lol
    Years
  • I'd be all for a new type triangle if it weren't for the lack of types to form a triangle to begin with. The only one that really works is Rock/ Fighting/ Flying due to how basically every other suggested triangle is heavily imbalanced. But the triangle I mentioned earlier actually sounds good for the most part... Rock may be a little broken though for the really early bits of a game though unless they changed the early game wild Pokémon variety too.

Back