• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Never seen a shiny?

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2024
    Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem as myself, in that (as far as I'm aware) I've never naturally seen a shiny Pokemon. I've been playing since Sapphire and other than the Gyarados at Lake of Rage I've never seen a shiny Pokemon in the wild, let alone caught one. From everyone else's experience it seems spotting one or two in each game is a fairly common occurrence for most players.

To be honest, I may not have spotted some of the more subtle shiny variations or even not known what a shiny Pokemon was when I started playing way back when in 2004.

I've tried every shiny-chaining method I know of too to no success.

Just curious as to how many of you have encountered the same problem.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Oh hey I was totally the same! I played from Gen 2, and went back to Gen 1, then to 3, 4, 5... and only just got my first shiny in 2013. I felt awful honestly for a while because I was like damnit why not me?? But... luck just slowly started going my way.

I personally think it's easiest in XY. Friend some people, and run around in Friend Safaris for a couple of hours. Basically guaranteed shiny. Chain fishing is also easy if you have the sound up and just wait for the sound of the click, basically you can do whatever and listen only by sound and it's super chill. It may not be easy straight up but those methods netted me a lot of pretty shinies. Just make sure you lead with a Pokemon with Suction Cups & fish in between the rocks. C:

Years
  • I've seen a select few shinies, but the last one I came across was nearly 5 years ago now, even though I've tried every shiny hunting method since then, too. Even worse is that I've encountered Pokerus multiple times since then, and as of Gen VII, Pokerus is 5x harder to come across than a shiny Pokemon.

Hopefully for the sake of both of us, our bad luck runs out sooner than later!

Back