Sacred Fire

Male
England
Seen May 27th, 2021
Posted April 1st, 2021
988 posts
6.8 Years

PokéCommunity Team Hack-off

This thread is where teams will post any progress updates on their hacks. The teams may use any contact method they prefer, and if they think a thread is necessary a member can post a thread in this section with the name "PokéCommunity Hack-off: Team #". Non-participants may post feedback and comments only in this thread, and not in the individual team threads. It is recommended that teams post at least one update every week.

Schedule

• Hacking (Feb 16 - Mar 31)
  • Voting (Apr 1 - Apr 15): The teams will then have to submit a playable release of their hack, with a length of preferably one or two gyms. A poll will be posted where the members can choose the best one out of the four.

Teams

Team 1:
Bill Cipher
Ruki Makino
DyingWillFlareon
PoK3Matr1x
trenhoj

Team 2:
giradialkia
Sniper
Slowpoke13
Navenatox
BlackStorm20x
enrock12

Team 3:
Hopeless Masquerade
joexv
TheRealOCD
Roboblob
KittiOcelotti

Team 4:
DrFuji
manadhon
FBI Agent
Logical Cabbage
hihohilton
Thoughts

I'm not spying I was here first

Christos

Male
Seen April 16th, 2020
Posted December 16th, 2019
6,370 posts
15.4 Years
Hi, are the other teams allowed to use my routines in the resources thread for the duration of the contest?
Sure, unless you really don't want them to. :p

Though I can understand you disallowing the use of some of your routines to keep your team hack's "dual perspective" feature, and a few others, unique.

A Pokemon that is discriminated!
Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.

FBI

Free supporter

Male
Unknown Island
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted June 21st, 2021
1,918 posts
8.5 Years
Sure, unless you really don't want them to. :p

Though I can understand you disallowing the use of some of your routines to keep your team hack's "dual perspective" feature, and a few others, unique.
Nope, it's completely fine for me. I made a few NEW routines including field moves via the BRM and level caps based on badges. I was just wondering if I should post those in the resources thread, just going to keep them a secret for a month I suppose :P

FBI

Free supporter

Male
Unknown Island
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted June 21st, 2021
1,918 posts
8.5 Years
I too shall show off some updates. Managed to get field moves working. We didn't need to replace/edit any of the existing ones nor did we delete any HMs in the process. Just a complete expansion and some patching up on the original code to support expansion :D

The Mew is shiny because it's like the award we're gonna get when we win this thing.

Skaraborne

The sharpest 'mon in the thread

Male
Ilex Forest
Seen March 20th, 2021
Posted July 25th, 2017
196 posts
6.6 Years
Time for our first update; and if you didn't know already, we're Team 2.

Navenatox has made a berry tree routine that regrows berries after a certain time. Check out our full thread for more information.

Here is a little preview of it in-game:

Preview video made by Navenatox

Good luck to all!

DrFuji

Heiki Hecchara‌‌

Age 28
Male
Aussie
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted February 12th, 2021
1,699 posts
11.9 Years
Team 4 has finally decided on a hack name which is still in progress, Pokemon: Team 4ever!

Corny jokes aside, we've started on the mapping and scripting aspects of the hack, now that we've got some spiffy new tiles inserted. Revisions and such will be coming over the next few days along with even more graphical features such as battle backgrounds and new Pokemon sprites.

Sefuree

Canada Goose

Age 20
Male
Canada
Seen 2 Weeks Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
3,248 posts
7.2 Years
Hello everyone!

It's TheRealOCD for Team 3!

Here is a little update.

Team 3

Story

Okay, so the story so far is that the Hoffen Region(tentative name) is a region with several impoverished towns surrounding the single, wealthiest town/city of Clover. The hero of the game is trying to earn money for whatever reason by competing in gyms. Also, there may be a gang of trainers looking to take money.

Possible storylines:
Spoiler:
The gang and the hero end up working together to end a money driven government conspiracy, and that the hero wants to earn money to do something with his/her town, but then it evolves to doing something for the whole region. Also, the hero has friends that try to earn money in their own ways. One ends up joining the gang, and the other ends up doing something stupid that will help the plot.

The hero would need at least 3 or 4 badges in order to enter Clover and earn the rest in order to compete in the tournament.

More about the story will be released later!

Here is the Hoffen region:

Media

That's all for now! Check the Team 3 Thread here!

:)

Skaraborne

Male
Ilex Forest
Seen March 20th, 2021
Posted July 25th, 2017
196 posts
6.6 Years
Hi everyone, this is Team 2 updating with an awesome mini(ng) game!

Our ASM brain, Navenatox, has made another routine, for a mining game. You have to enter a specific cave with a Mining Kit equipped to be able to mine. You can mine 10 times. Each time you mine, you have:

- 10% chance to find a fossil.
- 15% chance to find an evolutionary stone.
- 15% chance to find a valuable item.

The game can be played for P500.

Here is a preview of it in-game:

Preview video made by Navenatox

Stay tuned for more videos and updates!

Christos

Male
Seen April 16th, 2020
6,370 posts
15.4 Years
Hey guys, there are two more weeks until you have to submit your work! By now you should have a storyline and a list of features for your hack. If you haven't started working on the actual ROM already, here's a list of stuff you could plan before:
  • hack's graphical style (default one could be kept).
  • the region map, or at least the maps available in the playable release. For example, two small towns, a forest, a city with the first gym, and a mansion.
  • story events. So for example, the events where you get your starter Pokémon in the first town, a rival battle in the forest, and an event related to the main story in the mansion.
  • main characters. The hero, rival, Professor, and the evil team if there are any. Also the first gym leader as your hack should be playable up to the first gym by the middle of March.
  • other features you plan to include in the playable version, such as mini games or side quests.
Once you have these planned you can divide the work between the team, someone will make/look for sprites, another one will insert the necessary custom graphics, and people can get started on the maps and scripts.

FBI

Free supporter

Male
Unknown Island
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted June 21st, 2021
1,918 posts
8.5 Years
Here's some shamelessly copied stuff from the thread which count as updates :D

Spoiler:

Looking at the features and storyline is already great.

Good luck on the competitions!!
I'm glad you like the story line and features :D

Speaking of features, a few of us are in talks to include a battle frontier or something similar. I've been comming up with and implementing different modes for our little frontier. So far I've got (all modes, unless otherwise are EXP/Item disabled):

- Nuzlocke mode:
You're generated a 6 Pokemon party and you are to battle a string of random trainers. See how long you last. If your Pokemon faints, it's gone!

- Pokemon capturer:
A non-trainer battle related mode. Given X amount of Pokeballs, capture as many Pokemon as you can. Break records, win prizes, face the frontier brain...whose a Pokemon???

- Only Metronome battle:
Only use metronome. My favourite :3

- Double battle (two modes):
It's a double battle against an opponent. The first mode is with 2 of your own Pokemon, the second mode is with 2 randomly generated Pokemon. If you use the random Pokemon, you are able to "switch" with an opponent you defeat.

- 1vs 1:
Bring up your heaviest hitter. A 1vs1 to determine who's the strongest trainer/Pokemon combination. No level restrictions at all, and EXP is enabled.

- Fight money Mode:
Bet money on exactly how many rounds you will last using your party. Items are enabled. Gain half of your bet, and lose all of it. Yeah, nothing's fair 'round these parts.

Have you got any more awesome ideas? Perhaps concepts for these kind of battles which would be fun and engaging? Let us know! To keep you company here's a Nuzlocke battle thing. I lasted 5 rounds before losing accidentally cutting the video. In the video, the party I'm generated (at the start) and the trainer is generated is randomized via ASM. Items are disabled and Pokemon are deleted if they faint. I'm also using the same sprite over and over again, but in the real version the sprites won't be static like in the video. I'll make more vids of these stuff as I have time.

You may want to increase the play speed of your youtube, because I'm spending a majority of the video in battles doing very poor choices.
Spoiler:

Here's metronome. Obviously the battle sequences would be the same so I thought I'd save some time and just show the move setter.
Spoiler:

Sniper

ふゆかい

Male
Philippines
Seen August 9th, 2016
Posted June 5th, 2016
1,447 posts
7.7 Years
Will post the preview of the tiles that Naventox inserted (:

I know double posts are prohibited, but we have another update, so I hope we can make an exemption here.

I've been working on tile insertion, and here's a preview of what it looks like:
Spoiler:

Credits to The-Red-eX.

This is only a test map and will probably not be in the final game. Also I'm aware there will be a need for more tiles, but this is to give you a taste of what the maps will look like.
As said, just a test and not final.

Mana

Age 30
Male
UK
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted November 1st, 2019
10,076 posts
12.5 Years
Looks like all the teams are doing well to put the basics together :o look forward to seeing how much they manage in the last week.

Christos

Male
Seen April 16th, 2020
6,370 posts
15.4 Years
So there's a week left but I haven't seen a lot of progress done by any teams, maybe no one's actually posting anything? :p If that's not the case, I'd be okay with extending the deadline to one, two, or even four weeks. Could one person from each team post their current progress here and if they'd like more time?

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle

Age 22
She/Her
Under a bucket (still)
Seen March 11th, 2021
Posted March 10th, 2021
4,308 posts
6.7 Years
I suppose I could update for Team 1....

So far we've tweaked our story up a bit, you play as a young Looker and go through his/your first mission. Your starter is Croagunk, and we have a map up on our thread.
We're also working on the specific maps and scripts for what we need as well as backsprites for Looker and sprites for Croagunk.
POKECOMMUNITY'S DREAM WORLDDYINGWILLFLAREON

*For you are all children of light, children of the day. We are not of the night nor of the darkness. So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and sober. -1Thessalonians 5:5-6
#TeamTrivia

Christos

Male
Seen April 16th, 2020
6,370 posts
15.4 Years
I suppose I could update for Team 1....

So far we've tweaked our story up a bit, you play as a young Looker and go through his/your first mission. Your starter is Croagunk, and we have a map up on our thread.
We're also working on the specific maps and scripts for what we need as well as backsprites for Looker and sprites for Croagunk.
Do you think you can get progress up to the first gym (or equivalent if you're doing special cases for Looker) in one week, or could you use more time?

FBI

Free supporter

Male
Unknown Island
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted June 21st, 2021
1,918 posts
8.5 Years
So there's a week left but I haven't seen a lot of progress done by any teams, maybe no one's actually posting anything? :p If that's not the case, I'd be okay with extending the deadline to one, two, or even four weeks. Could one person from each team post their current progress here and if they'd like more time?
I don't think many people on their respective teams are active. Maybe next time something like this happens, make the teams a little bigger or more diverse for each role. I feel like all of one area is being piled on one person. It's unfair for us to drop all inserting and graphics on DrFuji for example. Smaller things like the story and such, we had a lot of disagreements (particularly me (and cabbage) not being happy with a go-happy story, and wanting this on-the-run hero idea quite a bit).

As for the learning aspect of the newer members learning from the more experienced, I've tried and failed-ish to help my team into the ASM world. There's a lot of gaps in their knowledge I find, and lots of concepts that require explaining. It'd take a much longer project and would be kinda harder to pull off.

Here's our Skype log of the past week for example.
Spoiler:

[3/1/2015 7:42:22 PM] FBI Agent: so did you try the fainting routine?
[3/1/2015 10:03:54 PM] Javier JRB: I tried to make a routine that returned the number of fainted Pokémon, but it blew up in my face.
[3/1/2015 10:04:54 PM] FBI Agent: oh it's the same as the fainted Pokemon one, except you have a counter for the dead guys and you're reading a different byte
[3/2/2015 12:06:03 PM] FBI Agent: same as the HP one*
[3/2/2015 12:06:36 PM] FBI Agent: btw, am I gonna end up doing the scripting, mapping and ASM? Anyone wanna step in and save me?  D:
[3/2/2015 7:08:22 PM] Javier JRB: Again, I can do scripting, but not until Thursday actually. Taking the ACT tomorrow.
[3/2/2015 7:55:14 PM] FBI Agent: We don't have a day and night thing to make the player raid the lab at night
[3/2/2015 7:55:35 PM] FBI Agent: I'm going to have to alter it slightly...well kinda majorly early, to make it work somehow
[3/2/2015 8:26:09 PM] Javier JRB: Random, but okay.
[3/2/2015 10:17:54 PM] Paul Tran: THE TERROR IS OVEr
[3/2/2015 10:17:57 PM] Paul Tran: MIDTERMS ARE OVERRR
[3/2/2015 10:18:22 PM] FBI Agent: I have one on the 14th
[3/2/2015 10:18:27 PM] FBI Agent: also I encountered a problem
[3/2/2015 10:18:49 PM] FBI Agent: our story, he can't raid the lab at night, because it's day time in FR all game
[3/2/2015 10:19:41 PM] Paul Tran: kk
[3/2/2015 10:19:47 PM] Paul Tran: uhhh
[3/2/2015 10:19:52 PM] Paul Tran: ill think abou tit
[3/2/2015 10:20:27 PM] Javier JRB: *tits
[3/2/2015 10:20:49 PM] Javier JRB: I'm feeling childish.
[3/4/2015 1:45:54 PM] FBI Agent: Hey, are we going to have difficulty modes?
[3/4/2015 1:46:00 PM] FBI Agent: like a hard mode/easy mode and stuff?
[3/6/2015 10:52:14 AM] FBI Agent: (we have 1 week-ish left)
[3/6/2015 6:56:07 PM] Javier JRB: Muk...
[3/7/2015 6:49:25 PM] *** FBI Agent sent Pokemon - Fire Red.rar ***
[3/7/2015 6:49:54 PM] *** FBI Agent sent ASM Logs.txt ***
[3/7/2015 6:50:33 PM] FBI Agent: Yawn, I'm not doing anything more for now. Waiting for that ROM base, did a few basic scripts and some pretty high-end ASM
[3/7/2015 6:51:00 PM] FBI Agent: scripts are 08800000+ and for ASM routines read Logs.txt~
[3/7/2015 11:13:52 PM] FBI Agent: hey I was thinking of maybe having something like a quest tracker. Basically just a think to keep track of what you're supposed to do next in the story to progress
[3/7/2015 11:14:05 PM] FBI Agent: to keep people from getting lost or stuck

I liked how the Community Hack thread a few years ago went (with Darthatron running it). It was fun and nice while it lasted, sadly Darthatron couldn't stay active past the first couple of weeks :(
Maybe we can try something like that instead for next time. We had like...separate departments for each section (ASM, Mapping, Scripting, Story ect.) and everyone filled applications to get into said positions, regardless of skill. Your seniors would teach you/pull you through. I think this would've been better than splitting everyone into teams (that would serve the same purpose of the thread anyways, to make hackers work in teams). I for example, am now doing mapping, scripting and ASM. I don't like scripting or mapping because I find them boring, but I'm forced onto the roll due to lack of resources. It's something to think about for next time.

To get back on topic, we have no updates that I'm comfortable showing. We have the first town finished so far, lol.

esperance

Age 24
Male
CA
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted May 15th, 2020
3,832 posts
11.3 Years
It would be super awesome if you could extend the deadline a bit. Life's super busy right now, and I'd rather not have to quit.

Right now the team's progress is at a bit of a standstill. A few of the maps have been outlined, but they're not ready for release yet. And scripting still needs to get going. :(
What are you so afraid of?

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle

Age 22
She/Her
Under a bucket (still)
Seen March 11th, 2021
Posted March 10th, 2021
4,308 posts
6.7 Years
Do you think you can get progress up to the first gym (or equivalent if you're doing special cases for Looker) in one week, or could you use more time?
Honestly a week or two more wouldn't hurt. ^~^U Most of us have no way other than PC to talk so it depends on when we're here to talk about it. If we picked it up a first clue update could be possible but I'm not too sure.
I am sure however that the other teams would enjoy a week more too. XD

Also I agree with FBI Agent about the team diversity/bigger teams.
POKECOMMUNITY'S DREAM WORLDDYINGWILLFLAREON

*For you are all children of light, children of the day. We are not of the night nor of the darkness. So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and sober. -1Thessalonians 5:5-6
#TeamTrivia

Skaraborne

Male
Ilex Forest
Seen March 20th, 2021
Posted July 25th, 2017
196 posts
6.6 Years
Team 2 is working hard and fast, but I guess one/two extra weeks wouldn't hurt the hacks.

What we have done so far: (blue=finished, orange=in progress, red=not started
Story
Overworld sprites
Tiles
Scripting

and much more. You can check our full thread for more.

Christos

Male
Seen April 16th, 2020
6,370 posts
15.4 Years
Right then, I'll be extending the deadline by two weeks, so you all have until the end of the month to submit your hacks.

As for having bigger teams, they don't usually work, I think there's enough people in each teams so that the work can be divided equally, and beginners can still learn something along the way (provided that everyone's skills and experience are what they claimed they are :p). However I agree that 5-6 team members is not that good for this contest if you take inexperienced and inactive members into consideration, so maybe 3 teams of 7-8 people would work better, I wouldn't want to have less than three teams though, it wouldn't really be a competition that way.

If such a contest is hosted in the future there could be bigger teams and maybe people could sign up for certain positions instead of listing their skills (so each team would have a certain number of mappers, scripters etc.). I don't really have the time to look over a "Community Hack" but if someone is up for that they're welcome to. If you have any suggestions for future contests let me know. :)

Sefuree

Canada Goose

Age 20
Male
Canada
Seen 2 Weeks Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
3,248 posts
7.2 Years
I don't really have the time to look over a "Community Hack" but if someone is up for that they're welcome to.
I'd would love to help! But, it would have to be during the summer. I'm sick right now and once i get better, i still have school until july!

:)