• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Any information on animated tiles

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2023
    So from what I've found I know where to insert the actual .4bpp files (in /data/tilesets/(primary, secondary)/general/anim/(i))

And where to add the sequence of the frames in /src/tileset_anim.c

But what I can't find is where to relate these tiles to an actual block.

Lyzo

Back from vacation
    Years
  • I only just figured this out, so no idea how to play with animation speeds or exact understanding of everything. But you can relate the animations to tiles by going to the QueueAnimTiles_TileName part in tileset_anim.c file.

For example for the general tileset flower animation you see this:
    Spoiler:

The last part TILE_OFFSET_4BPP(508) refers to the starting tileset number, which you can see in porymap (see screenshot below). However porymap displays it in hex, so you need to take the number you see in porymap (0x1FC) and convert it to decimal to get to the 508 you see for the tileset flower animation.
    Spoiler:

The 0x80 part refers to the number of the tiles following that tile that are animated, I think... In this case the flower tiles are 4 8x8 tiles that are animated. 0x80 in hex is 128. So for each tile that you want to animate you should count 32, and then convert it to hex to get the correct value.

Using this I was able to create my own animated tile animation for water rocks:
    Spoiler:

I think I'll create a tutorial on tile insertion for disassembly. General tile insertion, but also animation editing, and the difference between event object animations (eg. grass tiles, rock smashes) vs. tileset animations (what you see above).

EDIT: I've created the first version of this tutorial here.
    EDIT 2: The tutorial is now updated to show how tile animation works. In the tutorial we'll be creating a little zigzagoon in a tree animation.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Back