• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Shiny Gerbils Team

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
Years
  • My Shiny Gerbils Team

I. Introduction

Hey, this is my very first competitive team posted here. Since the Shiny Beasts event started, I decided to create a competitive team based around the Shiny Gerbils/Dogs/Whatever you want to call them. Keep in mind that I'm rather new to competitive battling and haven't tested the team yet (It's still in it's creation phase). I also am rather new to doing EV spreads and breeding, so that's another thing to keep in mind. I have EV trained a few pokes, though.

Anyway, here's the team at a glance:

29vi7ip.jpg
    2r557yh.jpg
    4tq0sm.jpg
    2ahrvoz.jpg
    6ppwnc.jpg
    mm8mbs.jpg

And here's my updated Weaknesses chart.

fktoqr.jpg

And now for a more in-depth look.

II. Team Analysis

29vi7ip.jpg

Skarmory @Leftovers
    Impish/Keen Eye
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpDef / 16 Spe
    -Spikes
    -Brave Bird
    -Night Slash/Whirlwind
    -Roost

Specially-Defensive Skarmory was decided as my lead due to his excellent typing and resistances, and because I wanted him to withstand more non-physical hits so it has more opportunity to set up. Spikes for my Entry Hazard, and Brave Bird for my STAB attack. I decided to go with Night Slash over a support move like Whirlwind mostly because I like attacking more than supporting or stalling. I'm open to changing it, however. Roost is there for recovery. The EV spread is copy and pasted from Smogon, as I have no other ideas.

2r557yh.jpg

Dragonite @Life Orb
    Jolly/Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 192 Spe
    -Dragon Dance
    -Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -Roost

Since it was pointed out that Heatran and Infernape would give my team trouble, Dragonite was chosen as my counter to those. Jolly Nature with the EVs means that Dragonite could outspeed Heatran and survive a Stone Edge from Ape to OHKO it with EQ. Roost heals Life Orb recoil.

4tq0sm.jpg

Raikou @Life Orb
    Rash/Pressure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
    -Calm Mind
    -Thunderbolt
    -Aura Sphere
    -Shadow Ball

Basic Special Sweeper EV spread, since the Shiny Beasts come with set Natures. Calm Mind for stat boosting, and Aura Sphere + Shadow Ball for perfect Neutral coverage. Thunderbolt for STAB. I'm not sure which Item to give it besides the Life Orb. I prefer not to equip the Choice Items as I hate being locked into a single move. I've considered the Wise Glasses to boost my Special moves, but I'm not really sure.

2ahrvoz.jpg

Entei @Choice Band
    Adamant/Pressure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    -Flare Blitz
    -Stone Edge
    -Iron Head
    -ExtremeSpeed

Basic Physically-Sweeping EV spread here, with Adamant nature. Flare Blitz is STAB, and Stone Edge and Iron Head for wider Type coverage. ExtremeSpeed for priority. Again, not sure which Item to put here. I'd rather not use the Life Orb, as LO + Flare Blitz recoil is a bit much. Still open to suggestions.

6ppwnc.jpg

Suicune @Leftovers
    Relaxed/Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 Spe
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam

The EV spreads are designed to increase its Def while a Relaxed Nature raises its SpDef. The RestTalk combo allows me to absorb status effects, and Surf is my STAB move. Ice Beam in the last slot so I can hit things like Dragonite and Flygon. Leftovers for the Item, since I can find two in HG.

mm8mbs.jpg

Cresselia @ Light Clay
    Bold/Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 40 SpDef / 68 Spe
    ~Lunar Dance
    ~Reflect
    ~Light Screen
    ~Ice Beam

Cresselia has replaced Meganium as my Dual Screener. With Lunar Dance, it can destroy itself and heal a pokemon that's switching in. Ice Beam for more counters against Dragons. Light clay to increase the time of the screens, and the EV spread for optimum bulk.

III. Conclusion

Well, that's it. Like I said, the team is still in the construction phase. I've already EV-trained Raikou and Entei, and just need to get a few Suicunes from Gamestop when the 31st comes around.

I'd like for people to point out any weaknesses and move suggestions. As well as give me Items for Raikou and Entei. I have replaced Meganium and Umbreon, but if I'm missing or overlooking something, then I'd love the advice.

Again, it's my first competitve team, so any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2011
    I'm new to competitive battling too and I picked up some tip along the way.

Heres my in take, though my advice shouldn't be taken heavily because I'm still a beginner.

If you don't like Meganium, then I suggest getting Magnezone.

Magnezone @ Light Clay
    Relaxed/Magnet Pull
    EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Thunderbolt
    -Explosion
    (C/P from Smogon)

I use this Magnezone as of today. It works great as a dual screener.
    After setting up your screens, Magnezone should Thunderbolt or Explode out of there. Thunderbolt for weakening and STAB damage and Explosion so that you get a free switch in so Magnezone's suicide isn't wasted. Following up, send out Entei or Raikou (Depending on the situation) and do your thing.

For Skarmory, I know that you said that you chose Nightslash for attacking but I suggest giving Whirlwind a chance. It can get rid of pesky stat boosters who are setting up to sweep or are going to baton pass the boosts over to a sweeper. Another advantage of this is that the pokemon that gets switched in gets hurt by the Spikes that you lay out. However, you can just keep Nightslash.

For Entei, you can give him a Choice Band or Leftovers. These two comes to mind.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
  • I'm new to competitive battling too and I picked up some tip along the way.

Heres my in take, though my advice shouldn't be taken heavily because I'm still a beginner.

If you don't like Meganium, then I suggest getting Magnezone.

Magnezone @ Light Clay
    Relaxed/Magnet Pull
    EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Thunderbolt
    -Explosion
    (C/P from Smogon)

I use this Magnezone as of today. It works great as a dual screener.
    After setting up your screens, Magnezone should Thunderbolt or Explode out of there. Thunderbolt for weakening and STAB damage and Explosion so that you get a free switch in so Magnezone's suicide isn't wasted. Following up, send out Entei or Raikou (Depending on the situation) and do your thing.

For Skarmory, I know that you said that you chose Nightslash for attacking but I suggest giving Whirlwind a chance. It can get rid of pesky stat boosters who are setting up to sweep or are going to baton pass the boosts over to a sweeper. Another advantage of this is that the pokemon that gets switched in gets hurt by the Spikes that you lay out. However, you can just keep Nightslash.

For Entei, you can give him a Choice Band or Leftovers. These two comes to mind.

Thing about Magnezone is, I don't like to double-up on types too much. It's a good idea, but I already have both an Electric and Steel type.

Whirlwind will be given a try. If it doesn't work out for me, then I'll keep using Night Slash.

I'll give Choice Band a try on Entei and I guess Life Orb on Raikou.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Why is your Meganium using physical moves when it's Bold? Energy Ball/Grass Knot can go over Seed Bomb. Since Meganium is more of a supportive Pokemon, Toxic can go over EQ?

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
    Years
  • Let me point out the possible checks that your team might run into.

HEATRAN, specifically ScarfTran.

4 out 6 of your Pokemons are Heatran-weak, and will be occasionally 5 out of 6.
    Skarmory and Meganium gets toasted with a Fire Blast STAB, Raikou and Entei gets Earth Power, and Suicune might be caught off guard with a HP Grass/Electric possibly 2HKO'ing it. Rest and Sleep talk is good, but risky. It has a 1 out of 3 chances that it will use Surf against Heatran (which can survive in some occassions).
    Raikou and Suicune can possibly survive and you can counter it as well with an Aura Sphere or Surf coming from respective Pokemons.

INFERNAPE, specifically Mix Ape.
    Again, 5 out of 6, and in rare occassions, 6 out of 6.
    Skarmory, Meganium gets toasted with Overheat STAB.
    Raikou and Entei can be surprised with an Earthquake in rare occasions.
    Suicune can get really hurt with a Grass Knot.
    Umbreon should be wary of an incoming Close Combat STAB.
    Only Raikou outspeeds Infernape, but can't throw anything back except for a STAB Thunderbolt. Suicune can kill it but can be caught off-guard too.

Now to point out what could Stall your team.

Blissey
    Blissey can put Toxic on 5/6 of your team and can get Flamethrower to intimidate Skarmory. You can't use Aura Sphere Raikou since it is pumped with SpDef. The only option you could do is switch to Entei as your Physical attacker.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
  • Why is your Meganium using physical moves when it's Bold? Energy Ball/Grass Knot can go over Seed Bomb. Since Meganium is more of a supportive Pokemon, Toxic can go over EQ?

Sorry. For some reason I was thinking that Bold lowered SpAtk. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm probably gonna replace Meganium, though.

Let me point out the possible checks that your team might run into.

HEATRAN, specifically ScarfTran.

4 out 6 of your Pokemons are Heatran-weak, and will be occasionally 5 out of 6.
    Skarmory and Meganium gets toasted with a Fire Blast STAB, Raikou and Entei gets Earth Power, and Suicune might be caught off guard with a HP Grass/Electric possibly 2HKO'ing it. Rest and Sleep talk is good, but risky. It has a 1 out of 3 chances that it will use Surf against Heatran (which can survive in some occassions).
    Raikou and Suicune can possibly survive and you can counter it as well with an Aura Sphere or Surf coming from respective Pokemons.

INFERNAPE, specifically Mix Ape.
    Again, 5 out of 6, and in rare occassions, 6 out of 6.
    Skarmory, Meganium gets toasted with Overheat STAB.
    Raikou and Entei can be surprised with an Earthquake in rare occasions.
    Suicune can get really hurt with a Grass Knot.
    Umbreon should be wary of an incoming Close Combat STAB.
    Only Raikou outspeeds Infernape, but can't throw anything back except for a STAB Thunderbolt. Suicune can kill it but can be caught off-guard too.

Now to point out what could Stall your team.

Blissey
    Blissey can put Toxic on 5/6 of your team and can get Flamethrower to intimidate Skarmory. You can't use Aura Sphere Raikou since it is pumped with SpDef. The only option you could do is switch to Entei as your Physical attacker.

Thank you so much for pointing that out.

I think I've got a solution to all 3 of those: DDance-ing Dragonite with Earthquake. Dragonite resists both Fire and Fighting, and EQ takes out steel-types. Heatran is x4 weak to EQ and Infernape is probably too frail to survive a Super-Effective Earthquake. Dragonite as a physical attacker can also help out with Blissey.

How about:

Dragonite @Life Orb
    Jolly/Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 192 Spe
    -Dragon Dance
    -Earthquake
    -Dragon Claw
    -Roost

Would that be good in place of Meganium or Umbreon? I'm also questioning how many Stone Edges from Infernape this particular Nite would be able to survive before I Earthquake it. Or can this Nite outspeed the Ape?

Last edited:

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
    Years
  • DDNite is quite good especially when it goes out to intimidate and if it successfully does a Dragon Dance. If it comes in and receives damage that it resists, proceed to Dragon Dance. If you think Dragonite could survive another attack go for DD#2. If you think it can't fight anymore, go for Roost and you could do another one to heal off. Yet, you should be careful of Ice attacks too. Only problem posing for your Dragonite is that Scarf Flygon can still outspeed it after 2 Dragon Dances. You need Ice Support for Dragonite too. You'll need something that resists Ice and is not Weak to water, something like Vaporeon.

How about Togekiss over Umbreon? It has Wish support + Heal Bell functionality. Ignores Ground and resists a possible incoming Fighting attack.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
    Calm - Serene Grace
    180 HP 128 Def 100 SpDef 60 Speed 40 SpA
    ~Air Slash
    ~Thunder Wave
    ~Heal Bell
    ~Wish

Though this little guy is a little hard to maintain due to only one attack, it can stall out as a special wall from an incoming attack that is not Super Effective.

Yet, you could go for a Blissey too.

Blissey @ Leftovers
    Bold - Natural Cure
    252 HP HP 252 Def 4 SpDef
    ~Wish
    ~Protect / Softboiled
    ~Seismic Toss / Flamethrower
    ~Thunder Wave / Toxic

In accordance to Skarmory, Blissey is his best partner with Stalling. Skarmory compensates for Blissey's crap Def while Blissey takes Special Attacks aimed at Skarmory.

I'm not sure how many Stone Edges it can receive, but Infernape would never OHKO that Dragonite, except for SD Ape.

If you really want a Dual Screener, you should choose Cresselia. It has enough bulk to set both screens and can sacrifice itself using Lunar Dance to completely heal a switching in pokemon.

Cresselia @ Light Clay
    Bold - Levitate
    252 HP 148 Def 40 SpDef 68 Spe
    ~Lunar Dance
    ~Reflect
    ~Light Screen
    ~Thunder Wave / Psychic / Ice Beam

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
  • DDNite is quite good especially when it goes out to intimidate and if it successfully does a Dragon Dance. If it comes in and receives damage that it resists, proceed to Dragon Dance. If you think Dragonite could survive another attack go for DD#2. If you think it can't fight anymore, go for Roost and you could do another one to heal off. Yet, you should be careful of Ice attacks too. Only problem posing for your Dragonite is that Scarf Flygon can still outspeed it after 2 Dragon Dances. You need Ice Support for Dragonite too. You'll need something that resists Ice and is not Weak to water, something like Vaporeon.

How about Togekiss over Umbreon? It has Wish support + Heal Bell functionality. Ignores Ground and resists a possible incoming Fighting attack.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
    Calm - Serene Grace
    180 HP 128 Def 100 SpDef 60 Speed 40 SpA
    ~Air Slash
    ~Thunder Wave
    ~Heal Bell
    ~Wish

Though this little guy is a little hard to maintain due to only one attack, it can stall out as a special wall from an incoming attack that is not Super Effective.

Yet, you could go for a Blissey too.

Blissey @ Leftovers
    Bold - Natural Cure
    252 HP HP 252 Def 4 SpDef
    ~Wish
    ~Protect / Softboiled
    ~Seismic Toss / Flamethrower
    ~Thunder Wave / Toxic

In accordance to Skarmory, Blissey is his best partner with Stalling. Skarmory compensates for Blissey's crap Def while Blissey takes Special Attacks aimed at Skarmory.

I'm not sure how many Stone Edges it can receive, but Infernape would never OHKO that Dragonite, except for SD Ape. If you really want a Dual Screener, you should choose Cresselia. It has enough bulk to set both screens and can sacrifice itself using Lunar Dance to completely heal a switching in pokemon.

Cresselia @ Light Clay
    Bold - Levitate
    252 HP 148 Def 40 SpDef 68 Spe
    ~Lunar Dance
    ~Reflect
    ~Light Screen
    ~Thunder Wave / Psychic / Ice Beam

I think I'll give Dragonite and Cresselia a try. With Togekiss, I have 3 Pokemon weak to both Rock and Electric. I don't like having triple weaknesses like that.

Would Azelf work as a Dual Screener? Or would Cresselia be more effective?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I think I'll give Dragonite and Cresselia a try. With Togekiss, I have 3 Pokemon weak to both Rock and Electric. I don't like having triple weaknesses like that.

Would Azelf work as a Dual Screener? Or would Cresselia be more effective?
    It's true that Azelf can get screens up, givenn its good Speed, then blow up in front of the opponent with Explosion, but I think Cresselia is better because of better bulk:
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Lunar Dance
    -Ice Beam/Psychic/Thunder Wave
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/148 Def/40 SDef/68 Spe
    Item: Light Clay

Or if you want Azelf:
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Explosion/Zen Headbutt/Stealth Rock
    -Taunt/Zen Headbutt/Stealth Rock
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 HP/4 SDef/252 Spe

Test both of these out and use whichever one suits you better.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
  • It's true that Azelf can get screens up, givenn its good Speed, then blow up in front of the opponent with Explosion, but I think Cresselia is better because of better bulk:
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Lunar Dance
    -Ice Beam/Psychic/Thunder Wave
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/148 Def/40 SDef/68 Spe

Or if you want Azelf:
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Explosion/Zen Headbutt/Stealth Rock
    -Taunt/Zen Headbutt/Stealth Rock
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 HP/4 SDef/252 Spe

Test both of these out and use whichever one suits you better.

I decided that I'm going with Cresselia.

I prefer the extra bulk, plus, I hate killing my own pokemon with self-destruct moves...

Back