• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Verizon wants to keep phones locked for 60 days

Years
  • https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/22/...ocking-60-day-fraud-identity-theft-protection

Basically Verizon wants an exception made to the already-existing rules that prohibit US carriers from locking their devices to be moved onto other carriers. While they claim that it's for "fraud protection" I honestly think it's just a ploy to play with current administration, who has been shown to be anti-consumer and pro-company.

Thoughts?

Years
    • Seen today
    I can see both sides of the argument. With the company I work for, devices are unlocked, but there's a three-month lock put on upgrades and new activations to prevent fraud and to ensure people actually keep their services rather than sign up for a plan with a phone, and then run with it. Locking the device though is quite a dirty move, it'd be better if they used other methods than locking the device itself.

Years
  • Another thought

It's kinda ironic hearing this come from Verizon. Before the FCC deemed it illegal for carriers to keep phones locked, Verizon was actually the carrier that had their 4G LTE devices unlocked upon purchase

Back