• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Unown

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Gen II introduced the Unown.

GBC_pokemonGS_unown.png

These things were only catchable in the Ruins of Alph after solving the puzzles on the walls. There were 26 different forms to catch at the time and unlike in Movie 3: Spell of the Unown: Entei, they were not how they were depicted in the movie. I don't like calling any Pokemon useless, but the Unown are pretty much that since they can't do much except act as collectibles for their very own Unown mode in the Pokedex. Their base stats are very low and they can only know one move, Hidden Power, so outside of being a living collectible, they unfortunately have zero purpose in battle or breeding or HM usage.

Although they seem useless, what I like about the Unown is that they are based of the Latin alphabet which is pretty cool, and they give the Pokemon world some history. And Unown's Platinum pokedex entry is interesting as well, it says "When alone, nothing happens. However, if there are two or more, an odd power is said to emerge." Although having two Unown in the party doesn't do jack squat, it would be cool to see in future games where having two Unown in the party did something meaningful like fusing them, Unown A and Unown B into Unown AB and Unown AB gets boosted stats and a better movepool. Or something else.

How do you feel about the Unown?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Ok I just gotta say: that's a genius idea for the Gen 2 re-remakes! It'll be their gimmick like mega evolution :)

I love the Unown. Yes, 99% because of the Entei movie, 1% because of how they appeared in the games. It's true though, in their current forme they are useless and it is a bit of a shame that they seemed so powerful in the movie but nothing in the games. If I could have changed them I would have made it a bit more true to the movie. Make that an early plot - stopping the Unown. Make an area that resembles Molly's castle near Ruins of Alph. Continue on your journey knowing you encountered an amazing legendary and beat Unown.

But that's the only way I would have seen Unown as less useless :/

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Look, Unown got assigned to me in a random challenge once and ended up saving my ass more than once, so I have a love for the little things. Are they good? Not really. Are they cute? Hell yeah. Are they interesting? Yes, but I feel like they had a little more potential. Still a really neat Pokemon and I like them a lot and I will not tolerate and Unown hate.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Look, Unown got assigned to me in a random challenge once and ended up saving my ass more than once, so I have a love for the little things. Are they good? Not really. Are they cute? Hell yeah. Are they interesting? Yes, but I feel like they had a little more potential. Still a really neat Pokemon and I like them a lot and I will not tolerate and Unown hate.

Hey sorry if I came off as too negative, I did not mean to hate on Unown. I just get carried away with my negativity sometimes.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    How did people determine Hidden Power types before there were Hidden Power checkers? Just endless trial and error?

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2020
    Maybe it is OT, but . . . that music in the ruins was always freaking creepy for me, I was used to shut the volume down when I was there.

However . . . I like their concept since the're based on egyptian hieroglyphs (It would have been awesome if the player had to collect all of them in order to unleash some ancient legendary pokemon), instead, talking about other aspects, I wont suggest to have them in your team

Back