• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Spectrobes GBA ~ Sci-Fi Space Pokemon ~ Something a little different :)

Asith

Uwao
Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    This looks incredible!
    I saw the title and wasn't expecting to see much but maybe the concept but what you have already looks so polished and clean! Can't wait to try it out myself! Awesome work!
    Loved playing the first spectrobes on my old DS lite!

Thanks a lot for the super kind words!
    I'm glad it looks polished :) The actual content currently in the demo is certainly short (< 2 hours), but I definitely made the conscious effort to focus on polishing up what we have as much as possible instead of rushing through development. Now it's just a matter of time till we get the whole game in there!
    Hope you enjoy the demo and it gives you the same feelings as the original DS game :D

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • Thanks a lot for the super kind words!
    I'm glad it looks polished :) The actual content currently in the demo is certainly short (< 2 hours), but I definitely made the conscious effort to focus on polishing up what we have as much as possible instead of rushing through development. Now it's just a matter of time till we get the whole game in there!
    Hope you enjoy the demo and it gives you the same feelings as the original DS game :D

Honestly with all the designs from a foreign game/series it would be easy for things to stick out and not look quite right but everything looks like it fits really nicely so I'm sure you made an effort to make sure everything looks so polished and it shows!
    I will definitely return to this thread after I have played the demo! :))
    ahh I hope so too, super excited to play it!

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Honestly with all the designs from a foreign game/series it would be easy for things to stick out and not look quite right but everything looks like it fits really nicely so I'm sure you made an effort to make sure everything looks so polished and it shows!
    I will definitely return to this thread after I have played the demo! :))
    ahh I hope so too, super excited to play it!

That means a lot!! Definitely excited to hear what you have to say after playing the demo :))

On the topic of mixing in things from a foreign game, this seems like a good opportunity to post a development update that was on the discord a while ago (definitely more frequent updates over there than here).

I've decided on a way to fill the equipment void! It didn't feel right to not even mention these fairly iconic weapons:
    Spoiler:

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • I joined the discord so will definitely keep up with the project there too! Although I'm not super active usually on discord!
    The way you're implementing the equipment looks great too btw!

bleedpark

Collector of Shiny Cardboard and Player of Hacks
    Years
  • I am so excited for this! I had completely forgot about Spectrobes. My little brother bought them but could never beat them and would give them to me to beat them for him when I was in 10th grade. They were amazing games. Found this thread and immediately sent it to him and he is also excited. Going back and replaying them now. Cant wait to see the progress. This will be amazing!

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    I am so excited for this! I had completely forgot about Spectrobes. My little brother bought them but could never beat them and would give them to me to beat them for him when I was in 10th grade. They were amazing games. Found this thread and immediately sent it to him and he is also excited. Going back and replaying them now. Cant wait to see the progress. This will be amazing!

Awesome! I'm really really happy this project sparked some nostalgia and reintroduced you two to a forgotten gem :D
    Enjoy diving into Spec again, and hope you get a chance to play this demo!

Extralink

Lost
    Years
  • Oh man, Spectrobes is so nostalgic for me. I played it before I played Pokemon- In fact, it was the first video game I played. I'm excited to see this turn out

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Oh man, Spectrobes is so nostalgic for me. I played it before I played Pokemon- In fact, it was the first video game I played. I'm excited to see this turn out

And it was such a good video game as a kid too! Hope you enjoyed the demo :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    So I just finished my first play-through of the Spectrobes series and I wanted to thank this rom hack for providing the impetus for that very enjoyable experience.

I've had a persistent childhood memory of watching my older cousin playing an interesting DS Pokemon like game that involved reviving fossils and fighting with them, and a few months before I settled on thinking it might have been Fossil Fighters (and played through the first two games) as how many games with that concept could there be on the DS? Well a couple weeks ago I ended up browsing the Pokemon Rom Hack Reddit because of a different Pokemon rom hack and saw a description of a game that far more matched my memory. As soon as I saw that black vortex in the first few minutes I remembered that aspect and that it was definitely Spectrobes that I watched being played.

So thank you very much for reintroducing me to Spectrobes after more than a decade of not being able to remember enough to find it. I'll be following this project and playing the demo for sure.

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    So I just finished my first play-through of the Spectrobes series and I wanted to thank this rom hack for providing the impetus for that very enjoyable experience.

I've had a persistent childhood memory of watching my older cousin playing an interesting DS Pokemon like game that involved reviving fossils and fighting with them, and a few months before I settled on thinking it might have been Fossil Fighters (and played through the first two games) as how many games with that concept could there be on the DS? Well a couple weeks ago I ended up browsing the Pokemon Rom Hack Reddit because of a different Pokemon rom hack and saw a description of a game that far more matched my memory. As soon as I saw that black vortex in the first few minutes I remembered that aspect and that it was definitely Spectrobes that I watched being played.

So thank you very much for reintroducing me to Spectrobes after more than a decade of not being able to remember enough to find it. I'll be following this project and playing the demo for sure.

This warms my heart more than you can possibly know :)
    I made this hack specifically to try my hand at introducing some more people to a game franchise that is very close to my heart, and to hopefully reintroduce it to people like you who just forgot about it over time. The fact that this project actually got you all the way to your first play-through of the series is genuinely a huge achievement for me and I couldn't be happier!
    You're very welcome for the memory-jog, and I'm glad you enjoyed Spectrobes! Hope you enjoy the demo and the future of this rom hack just as much :)

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Hello to any Spectrobes fans following this hack on pokecommunity! The new update, V0.2.3 - Genshi Redux, of Spectrobes GBA was recently released! The first post has been updated and you can find the download link for the hack's update there or here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/nxq7tjcqpobmgyn/SpectrobesV0.2.3.zip/file
    As usual, the best place for frequent development news is the Discord Server for anyone really interested, I post much more for the community over there than on pokecommunity since it's just much more convenient. I hope everyone here enjoys the update and it keeps hitting that sweet sweet Spectrobes nostalgia :D

1.png

Here's some info and the changelog for the new update:
    The V0.2.3 update is dubbed the Genshi-redux update: the definitive experience of the game up to Genshi! A lot has changed since the last Genshi version, including of a lot polish on old features and sprinklings of bonus content too (like cooler text boxes, equipment, and a new Spectrobe line!), but the most important change is in the compatibility of save files! Due to a large overhaul, save files from V0.22 and older will no longer be supported. This change will allow a lot of freedom for cool future development. This overhaul includes future-proofing though, so the new save files in V0.2.3 are planned to keep compatibility for the foreseeable future. Save files were reset now so that they wouldn't have to be reset again later. This update was released as a stepping-stone update: a chance to replay the improved version of the Genshi demo, take a look at the new features, and rebuild your new save files before the Nessa update is done. Check out the changelog for further details, and if you do happen to find any bugs in this update, let me know! Have fun rebuilding your teams and experiencing the Spec1 story in GBA form again! I hope you enjoy playing the Genshi-redux demo and exploring its new content!

Changelog:
    Spoiler:

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    I don't really know anything about Spectrobes other than it exists, but this looks REALLY good so far! Definitely keeping an eye on this.

That's great! It's been amazing to know that this hack is being played outside the spectrobes fanbase and is showing off a neat hidden gem of a franchise. Enjoy!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Probably going to wait until a longer version is complete but this is definitely on my watch list! It took me about a minute or two to register this being a thing though. I've played a bit of the original and am more familiar with Origins myself. I can never remember the names by side of the Shakin line though.

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Probably going to wait until a longer version is complete but this is definitely on my watch list! It took me about a minute or two to register this being a thing though. I've played a bit of the original and am more familiar with Origins myself. I can never remember the names by side of the Shakin line though.

Cool! Glad to hear spectrobes is still somewhat present in the back of your mind haha. Updates are a-coming

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Hello to anyone following this project on pokecommunity! I'm posting because... well because I forget to post updates here :P
    If you want constant progress updates, consider following my twitter! https://twitter.com/AsithDevs

I can confirm that the next update of Spectrobes GBA - The Nessa Update - is just around the corner! It is currently in testing and will likely be released in just about 1 week! Savefiles that you already have can be continued directly too!
    The update will add an entire story chapter to the game as well as MANY new custom features, including these:

Freely switching up to 4 unique custom colours for any spectrobe!
    ffidyzA.gif

Custom planet navigation menu!
    XdoBftV.gif

I hope you are ready to play!

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Hello to any Spectrobes fans following this hack on pokecommunity! The new update, V0.3 - Nessa, of Spectrobes GBA was recently released! The first post has been updated and you can find the download link for the hack's update there or here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/wpjwchuzuq25k4u/SpectrobesV0.3.zip/file or https://as1th.github.io/SpectrobesGBA-RomPatcher/
    As usual, the best place for frequent development news is the Twitter or Discord Server for anyone really interested, I post much more for the community over there than on pokecommunity since it's just much more convenient. I hope everyone here enjoys the update and it keeps hitting that sweet sweet Spectrobes nostalgia :D

JTSfjNc.png

Here's some info and the changelog for the new update:
    This version is the Nessa Update: the full game up to the Nessa chapter! That's all of Cyrus and the Ancient Ruins story! There's a lot of brand new content in this, especially if you really explore everything! Check out the changelog for all the details, and if you do happen to find any bugs, let me know! Patch downloads are on the first post or here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/wpjwchuzuq25k4u/SpectrobesV0.3.zip/file
    I hope you enjoy playing the Nessa demo and exploring its new content!
    Remember that save files from V0.2.3 can be continued!

But there's more! This time I also made an Automatic Patcher for the hack for anyone unfamiliar with playing rom hacks. With this, you only have to provide your original copy of the Firered Rom and SpectrobesGBA will be patched to play immediately! Manual patches will still be available as usual too if you prefer!
    https://as1th.github.io/SpectrobesGBA-RomPatcher/

Changelog:
    Spoiler:

Back