• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokéstarter Kit - Question]: Pokémon following character

SpawnHyuuga

Elite Four Spawn
Years
  • In PokemonScreen Find: (line 1300)

Spoiler:

Add Below

Spoiler:

Dependent: Name of Dependent event
    004: ID of Dependent event
    3: Number of Common Event when you talk to it

Extract this to Graphics Folder: mediafire.com/?0lvu4zbnuzg

Done ! When you change the first Pokemon, Dependent event will change graphic

So if I follow these exact steps, I get caterpillar? *goes to try it* Anything else we need to know. Extreme credits to you if it works!

Years
  • Oh my...
    That my friend is amazing!
    Who knew it could be made with just 4 lines of code!
    This is going in my game for sure, i'll be sure to add you in the credits list :)

SpawnHyuuga

Elite Four Spawn
    Years
  • Help-14, you wouldn't happen to know how to make like an "options" event where the player can set how many poke'mon to have following them. Like maybe one player wants 1, another wants 3, and another doesn't want any...

Also, how do I make it so the sprite, doesn't sit at the plot and make the point more obscure where it can't be seen? Just extend the map sizes a little and make it like (1,0,0)

BTW: Thanks you VERY much for the overworld pokemon sprites. I've been looking for like a year now and haven't found anything!

Last edited:

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
    Years
  • In PokemonScreen Find: (line 1300)

Spoiler:

Add Below

Spoiler:

Wow, that's awesome! Only problem I see is when turning certain ways, the second character behind jumps a lot. (when two pokemon are behind, such as would happen in MSB)

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2011
    In PokemonScreen Find: (line 1300)

Spoiler:

Add Below

Spoiler:

Mate i get this error when trying your script.

pokewi.jpg

What can i do ?

Shikamaru88

Back dont know if I will stay.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2010
    The catapiller script posted is easy to do if you study ruby you'll know that you guys should try reading beginners articles, books and/or tutorials ruby is easy to learn and quite fun too... and the menu thing i dont quite get what your asking: are you asking, for a menu that allows you to change the pokemon following you? or are you asking for a switch to chose when the pokemon is following you and when he is not. if you want the switch that doesnt require a script but will require you add alot of events, but scripting is always less work in the end. And FYI anyone can script n improve policci's starter kit, its not perfect but it is stable n basically everything you need to make a standard pokemon game...

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2011
    Yeah, anyway it only happens when i try to change the pokemon inside a house for some reason

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2015
    The way dependent events are implemented, the events are not added to the map's event array but rather stored in an internal array. I've improved the dependent events system in the current version and added the following function:
    • pbGetDependency(name) - Returns a Game_Character object associated with the dependent event with the given name. Returns nil if the dependent event doesn't exist.

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
    Years
  • The way dependent events are implemented, the events are not added to the map's event array but rather stored in an internal array. I've improved the dependent events system in the current version and added the following function:
    • pbGetDependency(name) - Returns a Game_Character object associated with the dependent event with the given name. Returns nil if the dependent event doesn't exist.

Does that mean that we could use move route events with the follower even off the map it was implemented on, or not?

Years
  • Here is the new version.

Step 1: Remove old script (or replace it with script in step 2). Creat a dependent event name "Dependent"

Step 2: In PokemonScreen find (line 1300)
    Spoiler:

Add below
    Spoiler:

Step 3: In DependentEvents find
    Spoiler:

If don't have, find
    Spoiler:

Add below
    Spoiler:

Now find:
    Spoiler:

if don't have, find
    Spoiler:

Add below
    Spoiler:

Step 4: In DependentEvents find
    Spoiler:

Add below
    Spoiler:

Now find:
    Spoiler:

Add below
    Spoiler:

Done. What's news in this version ? When change Pokemon, new pokemon don't run away, A few edit, you can make 4 pokemon follow you, easy change number of following pokemons, ... . Now I am testing it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2013
    I am happy to see that this thread is still going.
    I haven't posted in awhile but there is now an actual script available.
    (Thanks for that by the way)
    I don't know whether I'll use it or not but if I do I might add some stuff.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2011
    Theres still one problem mate, when a pokemon evolves, the overworld char that's following doesn't automatically change, also, when you first receive a pokemon in the beginning it doesn't automatically start following you.

Can that be fixed too mate ?

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2011
    So you will fix it mate ?

Also i noticed another bug, whenever i don't have a pokemon following me i can enter all the houses, but when i have a pokemon following me i can't seem to enter some of the houses, but the code is the exact same for all the houses except for the fact that it teleports to different places obviously

The video looks GREAT mate, you are awesome :D

Birdybot

-insert witty phrase here-
    Years
  • I get this error when I try to switch Pokémon using your most recent script;

Script 'DependantEvents' line 450: NoMethodError occurred.

undefined method 'x' for nil:NilClass

I think it's because I don't really know what you mean by creating a dependant event because I'm such a total noob. Help?

Years
  • Pokemon Following Character v2.0 is out ! Before read anything, watch this video.

Step 1: Remove old Script. Extract this to Graphics Folder: http://mediafire.com/?0lvu4zbnuzg (If don't have)

Step 2: Creat new script above main.
    ScriptEditor.jpg

Spoiler:

Step 3: In DependentEvent, find:

Spoiler:

if don't have, find

Spoiler:

Add below

Spoiler:

Step 3 -2: Now find

Spoiler:

if don't have, find

Spoiler:

add below

Spoiler:

Step 4: In DependentEvent, find:

Spoiler:

Add below

Spoiler:

Step 4-2: Now find

Spoiler:

Add below

Spoiler:

Step 5: In PokemonScreen, Find (Line 1300)

Spoiler:

Add Below

Spoiler:

Step 6: In PokemonEvolution, find

Spoiler:

Add below (careful with "end")

Spoiler:

Step 7: In PokemonStorage, find

Spoiler:

Add below (careful with "end")

Spoiler:

Step 8: In map where player will receive pokemon, creat 6 event name Dependent0, Dependent1, ..., Dependent5. It's ID must over 200. Why ? Because the script has a bug, when change pokemon graphic, events with same id with dependent events will be remove. Total number of event in your map can't over 150 so It's ID must over 200.

Step 9: When receive pokemon, add this script:
    EditEvent-ID142.jpg

Spoiler:

Step 10: Create a common Event with triggle: Parallel, Condition Switch is a On Switch.
    Add Script like this.
    Database_2.jpg

Step 11: Edit Script created in step 2. Enjoy !!!

Last edited:
    Back