• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Where is the Pokefirered documentation?

Years
  • I want to get into decomp hacking cause apparently binary is very outdated now but I can't really find documentation for pokefirered? And I don't really know how to code in C so I'm kinda stuck here. Maybe I'm just incredibly stupid and I'm missing something obvious? idk
    No, I do not want to use pokeemerald. I want to make a fire red rom hack.

If I'm posting this in the wrong place I'm sorry lol

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • I want to get into decomp hacking cause apparently binary is very outdated now but I can't really find documentation for pokefirered? And I don't really know how to code in C so I'm kinda stuck here. Maybe I'm just incredibly stupid and I'm missing something obvious? idk
    No, I do not want to use pokeemerald. I want to make a fire red rom hack.

If I'm posting this in the wrong place I'm sorry lol
    As a videogame, Pokémon FR/LG is just inferior to Pokémon Emerald which has more features and a better code base.
    That's the reason why Pokefirered is not as used as Pokeemerald as a base, and why it's not as well documented right now.
    The few public features specifically designed for it, you can find them in the Simple Modifications Directory, though since it's all code, anything and everything can be ported over from Pokeemerald.

Years
  • As a videogame, Pokémon FR/LG is just inferior to Pokémon Emerald which has more features and a better code base.
    That's the reason why Pokefirered is not as used as Pokeemerald as a base, and why it's not as well documented right now.
    The few public features specifically designed for it, you can find them in the Simple Modifications Directory, though since it's all code, anything and everything can be ported over from Pokeemerald.
    But I want to make a Kanto rom hack
    How am I supposed to do that with Pokeemerald?

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • But I want to make a Kanto rom hack
    How am I supposed to do that with Pokeemerald?
    By porting over tiles, tilemaps and other sprites you may need.
    Or using Pokefirered. I didn't tell you that you can't use it, I'm simply telling you that it's not as documented or used as Pokeemerald.

ellabrella

PKMN Trainer
    Years
    • She/It
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    when you say "documentation", what are you specifically looking to learn?

porymap and poryscript are compatible with pokefirered, and graphics can be edited with an image editor like graphicsgale. you can find existing scripts in data/maps/ and data/scripts/.

src/data/ contains trainers, base stats, move data etc. and can be edited with a text editor like notepad++. this is a pretty easy process so long as you're careful to stick to the syntax.

that should cover like 99% of romhacking if you aren't planning to do any programming!

Years
  • when you say "documentation", what are you specifically looking to learn?

porymap and poryscript are compatible with pokefirered, and graphics can be edited with an image editor like graphicsgale. you can find existing scripts in data/maps/ and data/scripts/.

src/data/ contains trainers, base stats, move data etc. and can be edited with a text editor like notepad++. this is a pretty easy process so long as you're careful to stick to the syntax.

that should cover like 99% of romhacking if you aren't planning to do any programming!

Well, I would like to make some changes to trainer placement and a few events

Back