• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Script] Firered Viridian City Pokemart Clerk dialogue change help

Years
  • Hi there,

I'm making a fakemon hack of firered, I'm using advance text to change the dialogue of npc's and signs,

I've noticed however that the pokemart clerk who gives you Oak's Parcel can't have his dialogue changed through the normal means?

Can anyone explain to me why it's different? And also is there a way to change his dialogue at all? or will I just have to delete the starting mart altogether to get around this?

Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,
    A Noob

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Hiya! Honestly, I wouldn't recommend using Advance Text at all - it's buggy and over a decace old at this point. Advance Text might not have the offsets of those specific text strings stored, which could be why you can't find them to edit them.

It's beneficial to learn scripting with XSE for FireRed binary hacking in any case, but even if all you wanted to do was change sign and Mart data, it would only take you a few minutes to create your own scripts. A-Text could cause you all kinds of problems by not repointing correctly/overwriting things, but using free space to create your own scripts would stop that from happening. Specifically, just to get you started, I'd check out this page for simple text/signposts and this page for Marts (scroll right to the bottom). Hope this helps!

Years
  • I've since found out some of the problems of A-Text, I have used a bit of XSE alongside Advance Maps, I just can't seem to find the script for it. I've even tried deleting the clerk all together and the dialogue script still runs when I walk through the mart door for the first time.... Does anyone know where about this particular bit of scripting is and how I can find it to edit it through XSE?

But thank you for the reply, it's helped to point me in the right direction :)

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
  • The script you're dealing is what's known as a 'level script'. These scripts aren't attached to people, but the map itself. In Advance Map, open up the Viridian City PokeMart and open the Header Tab. There should be a box that says 'Map script'. There are two types of scripts assigned to the map, a setmaptile script and a type 02 script - You want the type 02. Press the open script button and you should get the script you're looking for.

When you're using XSE to edit text, be sure to use dynamic pointers in case your new text is too long other wise it could overwrite other scripting data.

Years
  • Sorry for the late reply, couple of months I know eheheh ;^_^ This was perfect, I can now re-edit the text as Viridian City no longer exists in the hack and neither does Prof Oak so it was a bit jarring.

Due to the current climate I've got a bit of time to study up on scripting and such so hopefully I can get a good chunk of progress done.

Sorry for reviving this from the dead, just wanted to say thanks :)

Back