• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you think Ultra Beasts will be handled in future Pokemon games?

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    With it seeming like Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon are going to be the last hurrah for the Ultra Beasts, how do you think they'll be handled in future games? I suppose I would find it kind of interesting if these are the legendaries from the Switch game(s), with them being from an alternate universe, and all that. Imagine that. We've seen the gen 8 legends before the gen 8 games.

Also, my apologies if this should have been in the Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon section.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • This is fine in PGC as it concerns SM/USUM's impact on future games, not just USUM itself.

I don't expect them to drop Ultra Beasts altogether, and given what Game Freak has done with generational features (ie, Mega Evolution), I think it's most likely that a few of them will be obtainable in future games, possibly through some kind of promotion, but exclusively in the post-game and they'll have no affect on the story past Gen 7.

Ultra Beasts being the legendaries of the Switch games universe (if indeed there is canonically an alternate universe) would be a sick way to tie stuff together but it does seem rather far-fetch'd to me.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    They probably still be around. There is no such thing as a Switch Universe. Ultra Beasts appeared in SM and now USUM which are 3DS games. But they may appear on switch games.

pkmin3033

Much like Mega Evolutions and Kyurem's fusions, Ultra Beasts are just a gimmick GF introduced to make Gen VII seem more interesting and exciting than it actually is. It's highly unlikely that they'll be expanded upon in any way in the future, because they'll have moved on to the next pointless gimmick that they won't develop properly.

We might be lucky enough to get access to them during the postgame, but with the advent of Pokemon Bank I think that somewhat unlikely, as unless USUM have every single Pokemon not present in SM in them, it's clear that they expect us to shell out for that and transfer Pokemon from past games over...something that, in times past, we could do for free. And people praise GF for not doing scummy things like season passes and DLC ._.

...yes, I am very bitter about this, because as a concept I think they will need to be explored more beyond USUM. Much like Mega Evolution needed more expansion than it got. It's half-arsed at best. tl;dr the way GF will "handle" the UBs will be to forget they exist, probably. Keep Gen VII in Gen VII.

Last edited:

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • There is no such thing as a Switch Universe.
    I don't think you can say that with any certainty! The pre-3DS Pok?mon games were implied to be in "another universe, one where the secrets of Mega Evolution were undiscovered" by Zinnia, so it's not like Game Freak's necessarily against the idea of potential alternate reality Pok?mon games for different devices.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    I don't think you can say that with any certainty! The pre-3DS Pok?mon games were implied to be in "another universe, one where the secrets of Mega Evolution were undiscovered" by Zinnia, so it's not like Game Freak's necessarily against the idea of potential alternate reality Pok?mon games for different devices.
    The Switch and 3DS are names of game handhelds. They have nothing to do with alternate universes in the games themselves. So there is no 3DS and Switch universe.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I like how you just totally missed my point rather than refuting it. I'm not referring to the game handhelds themselves - I am referring to the alternate timelines belonging to Pok?mon games on the 3DS as opposed to pre-3Ds games. This is stated by Zinnia in ORAS's Delta Episode. Switch Pok?mon games could easily have a timeline of their own.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    I like how you just totally missed my point rather than refuting it. I'm not referring to the game handhelds themselves - I am referring to the alternate timelines belonging to Pok?mon games on the 3DS as opposed to pre-3Ds games. This is stated by Zinnia in ORAS's Delta Episode. Switch Pok?mon games could easily have a timeline of their own.
    Alternate timelines in pokemon games do not belong to the handhelds themselves. They belong to the pokemon universe.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Alternate timelines in pokemon games do not belong to the handhelds themselves. They belong to the pokemon universe.
    What does what they "belong" to even mean? The Mega Evolution timeline exists in the 3DS games, thus it's perfectly justified to refer to that timeline as the 3DS Pok?mon games timeline.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    What does what they "belong" to even mean? The Mega Evolution timeline exists in the 3DS games, thus it's perfectly justified to refer to that timeline as the 3DS Pok?mon games timeline.
    I think it is more of a mega evolution universe of the pokemon franchise. It may have appeared in XY and ORAS on 3DS but i don't believe that handhelds own time lines and alternate universes. My opinion of course.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I think UBs are gonna remain a gimmick exclusive to Alola, and I am fine with that. They exist in the canon universe now so they might be brought up in future installments (especially if those installments canonically take place after the events of SM/USUM), but I don't think they'll be introducing any new UBs, just like there were no new Mega Evolutions this generation.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • In future games beyond SM/USUM, I'd expect them to treat them in the same way how Mega Evolutions were handled in Sun & Moon. Make it a post game plot but not too much heavy emphasis on them, available to catch once you've become Champion etc.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 23, 2019
    Honestly I'm not sure how it will or should be handled. Alien pokemon have been played off without much mention to their extraterrestrial origin. Ultra Beasts have had more of an immediate impact so I hope to see more of them in the future, it opens up new dialogues about the Pokemon universe and the nature of Pokemon in general.

27thColt

The Collector
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2023
    They will probably do some ORAS style thing where ultra wormholes appear around the region in the postgame. I reckon that might happen in remakes (hopefully DPPt) to provide for the rest of the pokemon not obtainable in the other games of the generation.

Back