• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Shedinja questions

Years
  • Hey

I kind of got a bit back into Pokemon lately. I've been watching an old Pokemon Emerald lets play of Chuggaaconroy and when he mentioned Shedinja I've always wondered a few things:

1. I know that Shedinja is a discarded bug shell. It somehow is alive but I never got how that worked. Like, in the game, when you evolve Nincada and have a free slot and a Pokeball, you get a free Shedinja. How is this Shedinja ever formed if the appearance for Nincada changed into Ninjask?

2. Is there any connection between the fact it's a discardedbug shell that's alive and the fact it has wonder guard? Like is that maybe the reason it has wonder guard or something?

3. Shedinja is a pokemon that is alive, but doesn't move or breathe. Is it really a pokemon or more like a ghost?

4. The pokedex entry states:

A discarded bug shell that came to life. Peering into the crack on its back is said to steal one's spirit.

The last part says if you peer into the crack on its back your spirit will get stolen. After all this years this is the first time I've seen this. How would this work? Like, it doesn't move or breathe, and how will it know whether you're peering into it? And would it work on human, pokemon or both?

I hope I don't sound dumb but I've never taken much interest in Shedinja because in the past I never knew how to use it strategically and I've never seen the pokedex entry in the past.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
    Years
  • I shall try to answer some of your questions.
    It is based on how cicadas shed their outer skin, where the Nincada apparently sheds before it evolves, the caste turns into another Pokemon.
    The ghost thought is interesting, as in reality it would not be a living part of the bug.
    The fact that it is so fragile and has no substance is the reason for it's wonder guard.
    I cannot explain the pokedex entry, but a lot of dex entries are based on folklore surrounding the Pokemon.

Years
  • Shedinja sucks tbh.
    Kind of agree, it has a bunch of weaknesses and status effects and indirect attacks still work. However, it can be really great if you use it correctly and with the right opponents (which of course requires a whole lot of experience and knowledge about a certain Pokemon - whether it's in wild or in a trainer battle).

I shall try to answer some of your questions.
    It is based on how cicadas shed their outer skin, where the Nincada apparently sheds before it evolves, the caste turns into another Pokemon.
    The ghost thought is interesting, as in reality it would not be a living part of the bug.
    The fact that it is so fragile and has no substance is the reason for it's wonder guard.
    I cannot explain the pokedex entry, but a lot of dex entries are based on folklore surrounding the Pokemon.

I kind of get it, what I don't really get is this. I get Ninjask is the original evolution which is evolved from Nincada. However, it has like a spirit. But for Shedinja to do moves etc. it should be alive. But from what is the Pokemon created? Because AFAIK, Pokemon needs a spirit too. But Nincada's spirit is in Ninjask, so what spirit does Shedinja use? I don't know if I can explain what I mean but I tried my best. That's why I thought of it being a ghost (and not a Pokemon, but then again, don't ghosts have some kind of spirit too). About the wonder guard part.. I'm just going to take your word because I'm not English and it can't make sense in my head. What I think (asking for confirmation) is that it has Wonder Guard to protect its body from easily being destroyed, and has 1 HP since it's so fragile?

Thanks for your answer anyways!

Back