• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PCL] Gauging interest for Season 5

Would you sign up for Season 5 of PCL?

• Total voters
Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Vote in the poll! If you are new to PCL, look at these threads (the weekly threads explain how PCL works).

If you think we should spice things up and not follow the usual format, feel free to make suggestions. However, PCL still needs to follow its usual team structure in order to be PCL, after all. In particular, I'm open to introducing other metagames (e.g. 2 members per team play USUM OU and 1 member per team play a different format).

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

I'm always down as per usual but I do think we need something to give it a little flare. One thing I've been mulling over is "PCL get-togethers" or something similar. Basically once every week or two we'd have a day where members of PCL would get together on the server for the day and participate in off meta tournaments, teambuilding exercises, clan games, and finish up any remaining PCL matches. I feel like if we give some sort of group event structure things will be a bit more lively and less routinely stagnant. Obviously this would not work if only a few people signed up but if we could gather enough interest I do think it'd be worth at least exploring something like this.

Years
  • You could introduce a "wildcard" round every week where one of the battles for each group is a randomly generated meta. So one week one of the battles is LC instead of OU. Honestly though, I don't see anything wrong with the current all OU format. I think if you really want to include other meta's Chase's idea could be interesting.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • I agree with GP and Chase. The random meta for one matchup each week could be pretty exciting and would introduce new metas to the participants. In addition, it would be nice to make the league more lively and create a more competitive environment, this would help keep the league from becoming stagnant. So the idea of spending a couple hours together one day a week battling, collaborating and maybe even talking a little smack is definitely appealing.

Years
  • this will be my first time playing PCL ( i plan to sign up) so if i end up sounding redundant out of ignorance i apologize but an idea i suppose i can offer is to add up the 3 or 4 most current generations of OU USUM, ORAS, BW2, and or DPP and put in slots depending on the amount of participants if there is not a set amount that can be chosen. For example. say we have 40 participants divided into 4 different teams we make 4 slots for USUM OU, 2 slots for ORAS, 2 slots for BW, and 2 for DPP. i understand this sounds very similar to SPL, However during my brief time playing Old Gen League i have noticed quite a bit of talent especially for older gens. and i suppose to limit player disputes at signups you would ask for people to type down the Username, Gmt, and what tiers they are interested in playing. the teams will be limited to 1 member + 1 per additional member per amount of players per gen divisible by X amount of teams until every team has an equal amount of players and to avoid further dispute in order to avoid an overflow of players not being able to be assigned to a team ex. 7 players wish to play BW but 3 cannot play because there would be an uneven number of players one could ask every participant to select 2 tiers that they are willing to play so that if there is an overflow of players leftover after players are chosen for a gen, they can be pooled for that other gen as well. or we can do what gimmiepie said and wildcard these metas. This is only a suggestion that i have again i have not played PCL yet so i acknowledge that my suggestions may not be valid and i will understand if that is the case .

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Thanks for the feedback!
    I'm always down as per usual but I do think we need something to give it a little flare. One thing I've been mulling over is "PCL get-togethers" or something similar. Basically once every week or two we'd have a day where members of PCL would get together on the server for the day and participate in off meta tournaments, teambuilding exercises, clan games, and finish up any remaining PCL matches. I feel like if we give some sort of group event structure things will be a bit more lively and less routinely stagnant. Obviously this would not work if only a few people signed up but if we could gather enough interest I do think it'd be worth at least exploring something like this.
    Since we're changing Community Days into Tournament Bonanzas, we could host them every 2 weeks. When a PCL season is underway, the frequency of them could be increased to 1 per week, along with incorporating PCL stuff into it like EXP.
    You could introduce a "wildcard" round every week where one of the battles for each group is a randomly generated meta. So one week one of the battles is LC instead of OU. Honestly though, I don't see anything wrong with the current all OU format. I think if you really want to include other meta's Chase's idea could be interesting.
    I like the wildcard idea, but I think it should be opt-in only. Not everyone will want to make new teams every week for metas that they might not care for. I could ask during the signups to see who's interested and match those people up with other wildcard players.
    I agree with GP and Chase. The random meta for one matchup each week could be pretty exciting and would introduce new metas to the participants. In addition, it would be nice to make the league more lively and create a more competitive environment, this would help keep the league from becoming stagnant. So the idea of spending a couple hours together one day a week battling, collaborating and maybe even talking a little smack is definitely appealing.
    Certainly. I plan to make a Discord server for all PCL teams to gather in as well as individual private channels for each team. I think that'll help bring in a stronger community feel to it in addition to the battle server meetups.
    this will be my first time playing PCL ( i plan to sign up) so if i end up sounding redundant out of ignorance i apologize but an idea i suppose i can offer is to add up the 3 or 4 most current generations of OU USUM, ORAS, BW2, and or DPP and put in slots depending on the amount of participants if there is not a set amount that can be chosen. For example. say we have 40 participants divided into 4 different teams we make 4 slots for USUM OU, 2 slots for ORAS, 2 slots for BW, and 2 for DPP. i understand this sounds very similar to SPL, However during my brief time playing Old Gen League i have noticed quite a bit of talent especially for older gens. and i suppose to limit player disputes at signups you would ask for people to type down the Username, Gmt, and what tiers they are interested in playing. the teams will be limited to 1 member + 1 per additional member per amount of players per gen divisible by X amount of teams until every team has an equal amount of players and to avoid further dispute in order to avoid an overflow of players not being able to be assigned to a team ex. 7 players wish to play BW but 3 cannot play because there would be an uneven number of players one could ask every participant to select 2 tiers that they are willing to play so that if there is an overflow of players leftover after players are chosen for a gen, they can be pooled for that other gen as well. or we can do what gimmiepie said and wildcard these metas. This is only a suggestion that i have again i have not played PCL yet so i acknowledge that my suggestions may not be valid and i will understand if that is the case .
    I can ask everyone what metas they're interested in and see if we can implement a format similar to this. However, we usually only have about 12-15 people participating in PCL, so it definitely won't be as elaborate.

If we don't have enough signups for any of the alternative metas, teams can be drafted like usual without organizing people by meta. When preparing match-ups, I can match users up with opponents who are interested in the same meta as them whenever possible. If there aren't any similar metas between the two teams, they can default to USUM OU.

Back