• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Z-Moves and EBS - Can it work??

Fantastic Mr. Fox

King of Lexadour
Years
I've been seeing and hearing things about Marcello's Z-Move scripts not working with EBS, but I think there's a way to make it work. But my question is: how? I'm not too green with game development, but I'm very new to the actual programming aspect. If I have to make the two work together myself, then so be it. All I'm really looking for is a helping hand so I don't shoot myself in the foot on this one, hah.

Years
The WolfPP is working on it, it would be great if you guys got together to finish this quickly.
Sorry for the english.

WolfPP

Spriter/ Pixel Artist
Years
Nops, am out. Also, i am waiting for Essentials v18 and see if Luka will does EBS to v18 or not for then, i return to them.

Years
Nops, am out. Also, i am waiting for Essentials v18 and see if Luka will does EBS to v18 or not for then, i return to them.

It may be a dumb question, but is Essentials going to be updated? Even after the event with Nintendo.

Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Hey, where did you learn how to create scripts? I was thinking of doing a ruby language course, but I do not think it will help much...

I'm not Wolf, and I didn't learn Ruby as my first language; but my journey was: 1. read a book that describes how the language works, and 2. try to use what I've learned to change existing code.

In your case I'd recommend checking out a Ruby tutorial and trying to add simple-ish new things (e.g. moves/abilities/items, rearranging the UI) to Essentials, and move on to more complicated things (e.g. adding new options to menus, creating some of the things Wolf has done in the overworld) once you're comfortable.

EDIT: The most important thing is to practice lots. If you need inspiration look at a fan game/official game that has a feature missing from Essentials and try to add it (e.g. Reborn's field system, or the missing gen 7 abilities); or try to rewrite an existing feature without looking at the code. I'd recommend trying to help people write code, either one-off questions here on the forums, or joining a team that's looking for a coder, or perhaps offer to work on a game jam.

Last edited:

WolfPP

Spriter/ Pixel Artist
Years
It really made me happy.

Hey, where did you learn how to create scripts? I was thinking of doing a ruby language course, but I do not think it will help much...

Reading and Trial and Errors and some little(and important) help from others devs/mods, like mgriffin and Vendily.

Join us into PC Discord.

ChickenCombo

ㅇㅅㅇ
Years
  • Seen Feb 15, 2020
I'm not Wolf, and I didn't learn Ruby as my first language; but my journey was: 1. read a book that describes how the language works, and 2. try to use what I've learned to change existing code.

In your case I'd recommend checking out a Ruby tutorial and trying to add simple-ish new things (e.g. moves/abilities/items, rearranging the UI) to Essentials, and move on to more complicated things (e.g. adding new options to menus, creating some of the things Wolf has done in the overworld) once you're comfortable.

EDIT: The most important thing is to practice lots. If you need inspiration look at a fan game/official game that has a feature missing from Essentials and try to add it (e.g. Reborn's field system, or the missing gen 7 abilities); or try to rewrite an existing feature without looking at the code. I'd recommend trying to help people write code, either one-off questions here on the forums, or joining a team that's looking for a coder, or perhaps offer to work on a game jam.

I know C/C++, so that would probably help me, but what book do you recommend reading for Ruby?

Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
I know C/C++, so that would probably help me, but what book do you recommend reading for Ruby?

I'm afraid I don't have any recommendations for Ruby books because by the time I came to Ruby I'd learned so many others that I could pick things up from reading language references. Maybe the Ruby subreddit could give you some good ideas? There might be some good books/tutorials that cover the important differences for people coming from C, or C++ (but I'd definitely expect those to be different books, IMO modern C++ is very far removed from C).

Years

Thanks for the help, I sure will see some tutorials. I have faith that some time later I bring some script to the community.

WolfPP

Spriter/ Pixel Artist
Years
I'd love to join, can you send me the link?

You need to read '-'
vAzWHY4.png

DarrylBD99

Content Creator and Game Developer
Years

So WolfPP, not to get you or luka into the rush of things, but since EBDX will be the successor of EBS and it is announced to support V18, will you be returning once the release is here and someone makes Z-moves compatible with V18? (correct me if Z-moves for V18 isn't planned or is already out.)

DarrylBD99

Content Creator and Game Developer
Years
I wouldn't keep my hopes up. Because for this to work, someone will also have to port Z-Moves to v18 to begin with.

Tbh, I'd rather like to quote people just so that way they know I am replying and will appear in their notifications... but anyway, I did hear rumors about z-moves for v18 (unless if it is just false conjecture)

Years
But anyway, I did hear rumors about z-moves for v18 (unless if it is just false conjecture)
Yeah, Not Important said that he was. But I think he's working on a Text-To-Speech accessibility Script rn so I think he'll work on Z-Moves after that. And even if he fully ports Z-Moves to v18, then a completely new Z-Move Framework would have to be ported to a completely new Elite Battle System framework. It's gonna be alot of work and it's gonna take alot of time, even after EBDX is actually released.

That is why I said, I wouldn't keep my hopes up.

Back