• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Redstar said:
Of course. Sometimes I love it when my work is deleted because I find I always rewrite it quicker, more efficiently, and the prose flows more easily from my hands rather than stagnant narrative. Bring it on, computer!
Hmm, that's interesting. I actually find when something gets deleted unintentionally that I'll often write it worse than the original. XD; That's good that you can actually improve when the computer tries to ruin you work. :P

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Hmm, that's interesting. I actually find when something gets deleted unintentionally that I'll often write it worse than the original. XD; That's good that you can actually improve when the computer tries to ruin you work. :P
It's like losing a save-file on a videogame for me. If it's erased or you leave and have to come back from the beginning, you get back to the position you left off at and pass it up much faster and efficiently because you've already made the movements and know how to get there the right way.

Same with writing. I already wrote it, so this time I don't have to worry about struggling through narrative and transition and all the technical work. I can just do it, because I know how it was done before. And since I have that confidence, the prose and creativity flows out unlike before and the work comes out rejuvenated, reborn.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Fair enough. ^_^ Personally, I always find that I'll come to a point where I know there was some way I did it, particularly when I did it well, and it'll bug me if I can't remember exactly how. XD;

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Or in reference to a video game (I'm not so sure as much in writing though), when you're able to defeat the big bad the first time around, no problem. And try a second time, and you fail miserably.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Or in reference to a video game (I'm not so sure as much in writing though), when you're able to defeat the big bad the first time around, no problem. And try a second time, and you fail miserably.
All the time! Though it took me like 20 tries to beat the Cyberdemon at the end of (new) D00M.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
For me it was KOTOR 2, I was able to defeat the bad girl at the end no problem the first time around. Second time, it was impossible. Rather annoying.

The only thing that comes closest to me is writer's block, I'll have an idea, and then loose it later.

That is probably in reference to my binge watching though XD

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
I think I experience that with platformers more than bosses... I usually make a run-through and get to the "obstacle" section of the level, which requires right timing and good jumping (and sometimes falling) to get through unscathed, which I always nail without thinking. But then I die from some simple mistake, like touching a Goomba, and when I go through I end up failing 20 or so times.

Haz

Haz ya seen my hack?
Years
Hate to be randomly off-topic but anyway...

I'm having trouble with nameing a charecter in my fic. It's in the prologue at the moment but should be posted soon.
Anyway the charecter is female and originally had the name of Sarah but it wasn't evil enough.
She's the psychotic bad guy's minion.
Anyway she kills this kid called Brett who, in her boss' opinion, is 'normal' in thier world which is where kids who at the age of fifteen are taken into the [something] world and regain these abilities where they can transform into animals. But this kid Brett was taken by accident and stumble across the female bad guy who thought he was one of the Ferallion (the special kids). However, he's bruttally murdered.

That's a thin plot (I'm still working on it) but I need a nmae for the girl. Something that's foreign and that says "Hey I'm evil!"

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Hmm, after playing Ace Attorney, the name that immediately springs to mind that fits that description is "Franziska". :P

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
I have a couple baby books for the sole purpose of finding interesting names, but especially their meanings. I recommend doing the same, since a character is defined by their name just as much as they are by their story. You want a name the reader can remember and appreciate. A name that stands out and signifies something.

For my short story and attached novel A Thing of Beauty I named the main character Alise Satoru. Nothing special, but the two S's give a little alliteration so I think it sounds nice to say. The last name isn't a real name, but it is Japanese for "to attain enlightenment". And that sums up the character well, considering her story is one of a girl going from fearful and disconnected to one that understands what human contact and communication is all about.

There's lots of ways to choose a name, and finding the right one is the sign of a great writer.

Kazukii

Banned
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 2, 2009
Naming characters, finding a new username.. urgh so hard. Especially when you want it to be an original name.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Haz said:
I'm having trouble with nameing a charecter in my fic. It's in the prologue at the moment but should be posted soon.
Anyway the charecter is female and originally had the name of Sarah but it wasn't evil enough.
She's the psychotic bad guy's minion.
Anyway she kills this kid called Brett who, in her boss' opinion, is 'normal' in thier world which is where kids who at the age of fifteen are taken into the [something] world and regain these abilities where they can transform into animals. But this kid Brett was taken by accident and stumble across the female bad guy who thought he was one of the Ferallion (the special kids). However, he's bruttally murdered.

That's a thin plot (I'm still working on it) but I need a nmae for the girl. Something that's foreign and that says "Hey I'm evil!"
Actually, sometimes having a common name still makes you sound menacing/evil/ect. , especially if pulled off correctly. Examples include:
1. Tom Marvolo Riddle - Harry Potter
Especially in the last few books when Dumbledore and Harry start referring to Voldemort as Tom. Though, Harry only in the final book. Still, it does sound cool though, in a way.

Steve Leonard - The Saga of Darren Shan
A fairly common name. But it sounds menacing when used properly. Because Darren Shan(the writer) loves to give his characters weird names, the name Steve stands out from the rest.

3. Freddy Krueger - Nightmare on Elm Street
Because Freddy is comedic and menacing. XD

4. Norman Bates - Psycho
Norman, almost sounds like Normal and is another common name.

Normal names sound cool when the villain is so badass that the personality compensates for the name. Also, try factoring in the fact that parents will not name their child something that symbolizes evil or incompetence. Unless they were mad.

Interesting fact: A couple of years back, when I was in primary school, there was a girl who was named after an Arabic word meaning stupid/incompetent or was it 'the damned'. I'm not sure but it was one of those. 0_o Odd mother...

If you want an evil name regardless, try Klieborp Zefira, Maninya, Deifiyel, or Lucy.

I think Sarah sound perfect though. ^_^

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Interesting fact: A couple of years back, when I was in primary school, there was a girl who was named after an Arabic word meaning stupid/incompetent or was it 'the damned'. I'm not sure but it was one of those. 0_o Odd mother...
Speaking of Arabic, how about Maddy/Maddie?

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Redstar said:
Speaking of Arabic, how about Maddy/Maddie?
What about Maddy? Cross referenced it in Google and I didn't come up with anything relevant. Unless I'm missing something.

If you're talking about Madiha, that means praise or commendation.
If Mahdi, then that's something else that I'd be willing to explain in my leisure. ^_^

Also, because I'm bored...

When writing Fanfiction, what part do you love writing the most? Intense Pokemon battles, fights in between humans, filler, or some other stuff?

and

What's your favourite Fanfiction Genre?

Last edited:

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
When writing Fanfiction, what part do you love writing the most? Intense Pokemon battles, fights in between humans, filler, or some other stuff?

Filler is alright with me, even though I barely included any of it; filler provides a good opportunity for characters to grow and interact before being faced with a new Important Situation/Plot Point in which they need decent personalities to react to the bigger problem correctly. I also love character introductions - it's like, "This is the first time the readers are ever gonna see this guy, so I've really need to make it good!" At least, that's what I think of. Pokémon battles I don't do particularly well, and don't really happen too much anyway.

Anything but Romance or Horror. [brick'd repeatedly]

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
What about Maddy? Cross referenced it in Google and I didn't come up with anything relevant. Unless I'm missing something.

If you're talking about Madiha, that means praise or commendation.
If Mahdi, then that's something else that I'd be willing to explain in my leisure. ^_^
Yup. Mahdi, the long-awaited messiah for many Muslim faiths.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I need to get back in the FFL orgy.

What is your greatest enemy in writing (ignoring writers block)?

Writing Lounge block. I haven't written in a while (need to get back to it...okay, laziness is an enemy with that in mind), but when I am writing, it's usually that I want to rush my way through the chapter, especially if I'm impatient on getting to the next part. Funny thing is that when I do get to the part that I've been waiting to write, I get even worse writer's block. That's always nice.

I hate battle scenes, however the few ones I've down weren't all too bad. Anyway, I'd have to say the comedic parts. Just a Brother is so depressing and serious...I love adding in the quirky moments that Gold and Silver have, such as the muffin deal. IONTEEOOFEAT!!

Ra ra ra romance and parodies. Romance is something I enjoy in real life, but I also love making people laugh, hence the parodies. Plus when I'm upset, I read e1337 and immediately cheer up. I hope that others can do the same with the story. I'm actually considering writing a romance parody. I've seen so many terrible shipping fics...and this one called The Nightingale Effect on FF.net really inspired me to do this. I'm not even going to tell you how bad it was. If you want to torture yourself (or better yet, somebody) you're welcome to check it out. I, however, will not go past the first chapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back