• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New to Battles

Years
    • EU
    • Seen May 31, 2018
    Hey all,

I would like to take battling to the next level. Currently I feel I have only one battle ready Pokemon. :( Which is a 6iv shiny Pinsir (with Mega-evo.) He has max att/speed EV's and the rest health.

What Pokemon work well with Pinsir? What move set should I teach him? Is he even good as a competitive Pokemon?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Mega Pinsir is a very straightforward Pokemon:
    -Swords Dance
    -Return
    -Close Combat/Earthquake
    -Quick Attack
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Pinsirite
    Ability: Hyper Cutter/Mold Breaker

Mega Pinsir's biggest niche is in Aerilate Quick Attacks. While it's not as threatening as Talonflame in priority Flying moves, this is still useful for revenge killing purposes. Pinsir also pairs well with other Flying Pokemon, mainly Talonflame and Staraptor, for wearing down each other's checks and counters:

Talonflame:
    -Swords Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird/Acrobatics
    -Roost
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    Item: Sharp Beak/Sky Plate/none
    Ability: Gale Wings

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Brave Bird/Acrobatics
    -Taunt/Will-o-Wisp
    -Roost
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/none

or
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird
    -U-turn
    -Steel Wing/Tailwind
    Nature: Adamant
    Item: Choice Band

Staraptor:
    -Double-Edge
    -Brave Bird
    -U-turn
    -Close Combat/Final Gambit/Quick Attack
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    Item: Choice Scarf/Choice Band
    Ability: Reckless

As all three of the above Pokemon are weak to Stealth Rock, Starmie makes a nice Rapid Spin user to clear off said hazard:
    -Hydro Pump
    -Psyshock/Thunderbolt
    -Ice Beam/Hidden Power (Fire)
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Natural Cure/Analytic

or
    -Scald
    -Psyshock/Reflect Type
    -Rapid Spin
    -Recover
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure

Therian Landorus is a good teammate for the above to get each member in safely with a slow U-turn and set up Stealth Rock:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge/Toxic
    -U-turn/Swords Dance
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 248 HP/244 Def/8 SDef/8 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Rocky Helmet

Years
    • EU
    • Seen May 31, 2018
    Ok so my Mega Pinsir has Moxie as it's ability. Other than that it is jolly and pretty much matches your EV training set.

You mentioned swords dance in there, as Pinsir is so squishy is there a specific time you would use that? Or as I have moxie would I be able to take something else?

Also I love the second Starmie so will deffo be adding that in. Thanks :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Ok so my Mega Pinsir has Moxie as it's ability. Other than that it is jolly and pretty much matches your EV training set.

You mentioned swords dance in there, as Pinsir is so squishy is there a specific time you would use that? Or as I have moxie would I be able to take something else?

Also I love the second Starmie so will deffo be adding that in. Thanks :)

You set up Swords Dance on a predicted switch. Pinsir's regular abilities are better as a pre-Mega ability because Hyper Cutter can block an Intimidate, while Mold Breaker lets Pinsir hit Levitate Pokemon with Earthquake (Wash Rotom being a prime example) before Pinsir Mega Evolves.

Years
  • Just to like add on to PlatinumDude, SD is an option you should use over other options primarily because normally using M-Pinsir means your team is offensively oriented. Why that's important is offensive teams need to be more inclined to make predictions in order to gain the upper hand, unlike balance and defensive teams that don't need as much predicting. As such, SDing on a predicted switch can essentially make Pinsir a wincon in many situations.

Back