• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help me for a tournament please :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2017
    Hey everyone, so my friends and I are having a tournament between us with some unique restrictions on team building etc.
    The way it works is that we have a pool of eight Pokémon each, of which two are from the NU/PU tiers, two from RU, two from UU and two from OU. An OU mon can be replaced by a UU mon and so forth, so for example I could have one OU mon and three UU mon in the pool, but not three OU and one UU.

Anyways, for each battle, it is required that you have at least one NU/PU Pokémon in your team.

So I've gone and created a basic skeleton of a team, I only have six Pokémon however. I would like some thoughts on the current team itself (definitely wip) and also what two Pokémon I should add into the pool of eight.

Jolteon @ Air Balloon
    Ability: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Roar
    - Toxic
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Thunderbolt

So first off is Jolteon, an unorthodox set in it's use of Roar and Toxic, but this is to deal with higher tier Pokémon that would otherwise entirely check it. Jolteon is my first RU Pokémon to be on the team, and it is without doubt one of my favourites from the RU tier. HP Ice and Thunderbolt are fairly explanatory, Roar is to phase out in case rocks stay in (from Jirachi)
    RU #1

Espeon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Substitute
    - Psyshock
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Calm Mind

Another special sweeper, but one to counter entry hazards. Even though it's not the most reliable way of countering, Espeon is the set up sweeper of the team.
    UU Pokémon #1

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SpA
    Bold Nature
    - Heal Bell
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Scald

Vaporeon is the healer, cleric and tank of the team. Deals with status ailments and offering wish for the other Pokémon.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
    Ability: Teravolt
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 20 Atk / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
    Mild Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Earth Power
    - Fusion Bolt
    - Roost

Kyurem-B is the first OU Pokémon of the pool, and a rather unusual one at that (for me at least, I have never used Kyurem before). Obviously this team is so far severely lacking in physical presence, and Kyurem, with its insane physical stats as well as awesome coverage provides a mixed wall-breaking set. This is a standard smogon set, which seems to work nicely on Showdown with the team.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Fire Punch
    - Drain Punch
    - U-turn

OU#2
    Ahhhh Jirachi... The lead of the team, Jolly being the other potential nature. Set up stealth rocks and then U-Turn out is the standard plan, with it's other moves providing coverage and recovery.

Mismagius @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Foul Play
    - Shadow Ball
    - Substitute
    - Nasty Plot

NU#1
    This is the second set up sweeper of the team, again a special sweeper, however access to foul play allows for some flexibility.

Obviously the team is severely lacking in many things, with a huge dark type weakness being the extremely obvious fault.

So please, tell me your thoughts on what I should use instead of some of these mon, or what these sets should be instead of what they actually are, and if you have any ideas for the other two mon I can pick, one from the NU tier, and one from RU, then please let me know!

Thank you all :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Roar doesn't go well with Jolteon's frailty, as it has negative priority. Jolteon may be forced to take a fatal hit before it even gets the move off. Bulky Pokemon are better with Roar and the like as they have enough defenses and/or HP to take hits before they use them. Jolteon is better off supporting with Substitute + Baton Pass (to help get frail attackers in) or be an all-out attacker:
    -Substitute
    -Baton Pass
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Ice/Grass)/Wish
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers

or
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch
    -Signal Beam
    -Hidden Power (Ice/Grass)
    Item: Life Orb/Choice Specs

Why not squeeze in another Dark resist over Espeon? Machamp is decently bulky and it can eliminate said Dark Pokemon for you:
    -Close Combat/Dynamic Punch
    -Knock Off
    -Stone Edge/Ice Punch
    -Heavy Slam/Bullet Punch
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 172 HP/252 Atk/84 Spe
    Item: Assault Vest
    Ability: Guts/No Guard

As Black Kyurem is weak to Stealth Rock, you need a Rapid Spin user on the team. Over Vaporeon, you should use Mega Blastoise to help with that issue. Even though regular Blastoise is classed as RU due to the recent tiering changes, Mega Blastoise is usable in UU and above, so it's still technically your second UU. It also gives you a Mega Evolution to use, as they're highly recommended in teams nowadays:
    -Hydro Pump/Scald/Water Pulse
    -Dark Pulse
    -Aura Sphere/Ice Beam/Dragon Pulse
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 184 HP/252 SAtk/72 Spe
    Item: Blastoisinite

The lack of STAB on Jirachi hurts, you know. Having Jirachi abuse 60% flinch chance with Iron Head + Serene Grace on slower foes is one of its biggest perks. You just wasted that away:
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Iron Head
    -Toxic/Body Slam/Thunder Wave
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 252 HP/224 SDef/32 Spe

Yes, Foul Play gives Mismagius some extra utility, but Nasty Plot makes its special attacks hit very hard anyway. Foul Play still does jack squat against Blissey:
    -Nasty Plot
    -Shadow Ball
    -Dazzling Gleam
    -Hidden Power (Ground)/Destiny Bond
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Colbur Berry

or
    -Hex
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Taunt
    -Pain Split/Thunder Wave
    EVs: 252 HP/80 Def/176 Spe

Since I made Jirachi the Wish setter, an RU Stealth Rock Pokemon to use here is Druddigon or Rhyperior:

Druddigon:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Dragon Claw
    -Sucker Punch
    -Fire Punch
    EVs: 236 HP/252 Atk/20 Spe
    Ability: Rough Skin

Rhyperior:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Blast
    -Megahorn/Roar/Protect
    EVs: 248 HP/28 Atk/232 SDef
    Ability: Solid Rock

As your last NU Pokemon, you can use Vileplume as another way to deal with Fairy Pokemon:
    -Giga Drain
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Moonlight/Synthesis
    -Sleep Powder/Hidden Power (Fire/Ground)
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
    Item: Black Sludge
    Ability: Effect Spore

or
    -Giga Drain
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Hidden Power (Fire)/Sleep Powder
    -Moonlight
    EVs: 112 HP/252 SAtk/144 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Black Sludge

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2017
    Roar doesn't go well with Jolteon's frailty, as it has negative priority. Jolteon may be forced to take a fatal hit before it even gets the move off. Bulky Pokemon are better with Roar and the like as they have enough defenses and/or HP to take hits before they use them. Jolteon is better off supporting with Substitute + Baton Pass (to help get frail attackers in) or be an all-out attacker:
    -Substitute
    -Baton Pass
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Ice/Grass)/Wish

or
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch
    -Signal Beam
    -Hidden Power (Ice/Grass)
    Item: Life Orb/Choice Specs

Why not squeeze in another Dark resist over Espeon? Machamp is decently bulky and it can eliminate said Dark Pokemon for you:
    -Close Combat/Dynamic Punch
    -Knock Off
    -Stone Edge/Ice Punch
    -Heavy Slam/Bullet Punch
    EVs: 172 HP/252 Atk/84 Spe
    Item: Assault Vest
    Ability: Guts/No Guard

As Black Kyurem is weak to Stealth Rock, you need a Rapid Spin user on the team. Over Vaporeon, you should use Mega Blastoise to help with that issue. Even though regular Blastoise is classed as RU due to the recent tiering changes, Mega Blastoise is usable in UU and above, so it's still technically your second UU. It also gives you a Mega Evolution to use, as they're highly recommended in teams nowadays:
    -Hydro Pump/Scald/Water Pulse
    -Dark Pulse
    -Aura Sphere/Ice Beam/Dragon Pulse
    -Rapid Spin
    EVs: 184 HP/252 SAtk/72 Spe
    Item: Blastoisinite

The lack of STAB on Jirachi hurts, you know. Having Jirachi abuse 60% flinch chance with Iron Head + Serene Grace on slower foes is one of its biggest perks. You just wasted that away:
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Iron Head
    -Toxic/Body Slam/Thunder Wave
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 252 HP/224 SDef/32 Spe

Yes, Foul Play gives Mismagius some extra utility, but Nasty Plot makes its special attacks hit very hard anyway. Foul Play still does jack squat against Blissey:
    -Nasty Plot
    -Shadow Ball
    -Dazzling Gleam
    -Hidden Power (Ground)/Destiny Bond
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Colbur Berry

or
    -Hex
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Taunt
    -Pain Split/Thunder Wave
    EVs: 252 HP/80 Def/176 Spe

Since I made Jirachi the Wish setter, an RU Stealth Rock Pokemon to use here is Druddigon or Rhyperior:

Druddigon:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Dragon Claw
    -Sucker Punch
    -Fire Punch
    EVs: 236 HP/252 Atk/20 Spe
    Ability: Rough Skin

Rhyperior:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Blast
    -Megahorn/Roar/Protect
    EVs: 248 HP/28 Atk/232 SDef
    Ability: Solid Rock

As your last NU Pokemon, you can use Vileplume as another way to deal with Fairy Pokemon:
    -Giga Drain
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Moonlight/Synthesis
    -Sleep Powder/Hidden Power (Fire/Ground)
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
    Item: Black Sludge

or
    -Giga Drain
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Hidden Power (Fire)/Sleep Powder
    -Moonlight
    EVs: 112 HP/252 SAtk/144 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Black Sludge

Hey! Sorry for the late response, things have been very busy.
    So the tournament never got around to actually happening, but it should hopefully happen soon so I will take into consideration what you have told me.
    Thanks heaps!! :)

Back