• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Worldbuilding] What are some good questions to ask yourself when you're world building?

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2020
    I'm planning on making my own take on the Pokemon world but, having never really made any worlds before (characters, yes, but not worlds), I don't really know what to do.

I have the general idea of what my world's gonna be. It'll take elements from all across the Pokemon franchise, along with some of my own fanon, but the one thing that makes the world truly unique is the presence of the Origin gene. The Origin gene is an odd little gene that can be found in any Pokemon, and in a small percentage (between 5-10%) of humans. Not only does this gene hint at a humans and Pokemon having a possible common ancestor, but it also allows any human in possession of this gene to breed with Pokemon, resulting in a human/Pokemon hybrid (this is not going to be a fetish fic. While there will be references to human/Pokemon relations, as well as references to the sort of things that tend to happen when teenagers are allowed to travel across the world without parental supervision, this will be PG-13 at its worse.)

What I need to do is hammer down the details. Are there any good questions I could ask myself in order to help build this world of mine?

Commander Saturn

Information Broker
    Years
  • I haven't ever actually tried to create my own world in a story myself but I'll try to list some questions that can flesh your world out. The history will be the most important aspect of making your world feel real to readers, so you will want to cover the bases end to end. What are the politics like in your world, who holds power, will it be a champion or someone less into using Pokemon for battles? You mentioned that there will be Poke-humans or Pokemon hybrids, what sort of challenges do these folks face? Do they struggle to fit into the society of your world, are they feared or regarded as holy? How long have they been regarded as such and are there any noteworthy hybrids that have shaped the history of your world in some significant manner, negatively or positively? Are the rules of your world considered fair or does the society tend to disagree and there is friction amongst the populace? What are the customs and the religion amongst these hybrids and the normal human populace? If the hybrids have powers, similar to Pokemon, then do they have limitations for such?
    I'll be honest, and with no disrespect intended, the idea of Pokemon and humans having those types of relations is not something that I would readily agree with however, this sounds like a very fascinating take on Pokemon and I would be interested in reading what you come up with in the future should you post or allow me to. I wish you only the best of luck with this project!

Back