• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Tool] Evolution Item Issues

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2022
    Hello, Everyone.

I'm brand new to the ROM hacking scene and have spent the last few weeks developing my first attempt at a hack. I am finally at the point to start performing various tests and have run into an issue. It seems that I can't change any item that does not normally function as an evolution item into one. I initially wanted to do it with the focus band, but when that failed, I tried the Up-Grade, as well as creating my own. I ran into the same problem with all of them. I have followed the steps in multiple tutorials and advice threads (tried to link to specifics, but I don't have 5 posts).

I am still new to the scripting, so I followed that one last, hoping that just using LSA would allow me to get the desired effect. But once that failed, I did the scripting steps, only for the same thing to happen.

Unedited, the items in question would start off with the basic "it's not the time to use this" message. After edits, I could make the item usable, and the pokemon was selectable for use. But when I select the pokemon, I get the message that it won't have any effect. This has been the outcome with every modification method I've tried.

Other things to note:

-I'm using a US Fire Red base.
    -I have tried this with three separate pokemon/item combinations and the same thing has happened each time.
    -I have changed the method of item acquisition and had the same effect. For simplicity's sake in testing quickly, I began by having the evolution item being held by a starter, but I also bought it from a pokemart and attempted that way.
    -I know the evolutions work. In each case, I swapped the evolution item I wanted for a moon stone and the evolutions all worked successfully.
    -One other odd issue I have noticed is that when I made a custom item, it was recognized in game and by other programs, but advance starter would only see "??????." I could still assign the slot and the item would show up as the proper held item.

I've looked around and cannot find any other advice/tutorials on the matter. At this point, I'm thinking I either have the wrong ROM base or there is an issue with the tools I'm using. I really don't know.

Years
  • By "using LSA" do you mean using LSA's Complete Item Editor? Because that's what I would recommend you to do.

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2022
    Yeah, I've been using the item editor. I've created a new item from the ????? space and I've modified existing items. All it's done is change the items from not usable on a pokemon to being usable but with the message "it won't have any effect."

Years
  • Yeah, I've been using the item editor. I've created a new item from the ????? space and I've modified existing items. All it's done is change the items from not usable on a pokemon to being usable but with the message "it won't have any effect."
    Did you check everything needed? As here:
    Screenshot_4-spcs.me.png

Screenshot_5-spcs.me.png

Screenshot_6-spcs.me.png

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2022
    I had completely glossed over that more usage button, and sure enough, that checkbox wasn't marked. You're a lifesaver.

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    im having the same problem, need to make metal coat usable in onix

Back