• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] If I payed someone to do this for me....

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Nov 16, 2023
    If I payed someone to help me get multiplayer functions working for a fan game I was working on for just my friend group so that we could trade and battle amongst each other with these new pokemon we've made how much would it cost? and where would I have to go to find an individual who could help with this? I know this feature is one of the hardest things in a fan game to make and for good reason as even if it does get created public fan games with multiplayer can get shutdown.

Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    Any fangame can get shut down. Multiplayer has no big influence on that.

You'll be hard-pressed finding someone interested in making proper online multiplayer functionality, because that's not easy. It's also not necessary for a game to be fun, and you can still play alongside each other in separate games in a call or something. Because if you're literally trying to commission someone to implement full online connectivity in your game, you can expect to pay several hundred dollars. But your chances of finding someone who knows how and who wants to do this, are practically zero.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Trade and battle? I agree with Marin that you're looking at several hundred, plus server hosting costs. For reference, I have been working with someone to bring those two features to Essentials v16 and v17 (not v18, because it predates the release by months), and the project will probably conclude in the low hundreds.

EDIT: In case anybody is wondering about the project, idk if or when it will be released. I just write the code.

EDIT 2: If you're curious about the approach I took, and want to try implementing it yourself, you can search for my previous messages on the subject here and on Relic Castle.

Last edited:
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Nov 16, 2023
    Trade and battle? I agree with Marin that you're looking at several hundred, plus server hosting costs. For reference, I have been working with someone to bring those two features to Essentials v16 and v17 (not v18, because it predates the release by months), and the project will probably conclude in the low hundreds.

EDIT: In case anybody is wondering about the project, idk if or when it will be released. I just write the code.

EDIT 2: If you're curious about the approach I took, and want to try implementing it yourself, you can search for my previous messages on the subject here and on Relic Castle.

Well My project is an essentials v17.2 project I have the money to pay someone and I could pay for server hosting I just wanted to know who I could pay. I know you don't know when or if your project is coming out but is that because it is a private script that is finished or a private script that is being worked on because if it's finished and you and the people you are working with don't mind sharing it for a commission price I would buy it off you guys just let me know how much if it is not for sale or it is something you guys are working on to give to the community for free but later than I understand and I will look at your suggested message topics regarding online play or look to commission someone else elsewhere somewhere I have a modified version of essentials and by modified I just mean that I changed certain mechanics like natures being purely cosmetic and the maximum Evs aswell as removed random effect chances and still found a way to balance the moves I left in the game other than that it is still a normal essentials 17.2 game I've looked into psdk but I really don't want to start from scratch and that is why I am willing to pay someone. I wasn't much of a coder when I started using essentials but I learned some ruby while starting my project. Also I mentioned what I was working on because the project I was doing this on is not something I am releasing publicly but I would like to see a fan game with something similar I think it would be cool to see so I wanted to get that out there.

P.s sorry for writing so much kinda got lost in typing.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024

As far as I know the person who commissioned it is planning to release it publicly, but obviously I can't promise anything because it doesn't belong to me. At the moment we're doing the final testing, and as far as I know there are no bugs or features waiting for me to fix. But it's slow going because both of us have been quite busy with other things recently.

Your game sounds interesting! Good luck with it :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2021
    Hi everyone,

I'm the one working with mgriffin for developing multiplayer features(trades and battles for now). The project will be 100% public and free for all, it consist in a script and a python server that has to be running. It's so easy to use and its going on the right path to its release. Since v18 was announced and release after we started to work, v18 probably won't be supported on the v1 of the project, but it supports v16.x and v17.x so most of the pokemon essentials projects will be able to add this features so easily, nobody will need programming skills to make it work and it should work properly in both windows and linux OS.

As mgriffin said, we are taking our time since I'm a bit busy, I need to earn the money I spend on the development and I have no personal hurry to release it. mgriffin is doing an amazing work, you all will be able to give it a try as soon as possible and I'm sure you all will enjoy it. Just be a bit patient and you all will have access to multiplayer functions for free :)

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Nov 16, 2023
    Hi everyone,

I'm the one working with mgriffin for developing multiplayer features(trades and battles for now). The project will be 100% public and free for all, it consist in a script and a python server that has to be running. It's so easy to use and its going on the right path to its release. Since v18 was announced and release after we started to work, v18 probably won't be supported on the v1 of the project, but it supports v16.x and v17.x so most of the pokemon essentials projects will be able to add this features so easily, nobody will need programming skills to make it work and it should work properly in both windows and linux OS.

As mgriffin said, we are taking our time since I'm a bit busy, I need to earn the money I spend on the development and I have no personal hurry to release it. mgriffin is doing an amazing work, you all will be able to give it a try as soon as possible and I'm sure you all will enjoy it. Just be a bit patient and you all will have access to multiplayer functions for free :)

that's great actually very kind of you guys to use your own time to work on this and release this for free I will wait for you guys to finish in the meantime I will learn python since you guys said the server is a python server

Back