• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Help] Nice to meet you

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2021
    Hi,

I grew up watching pokemon, but got out of it in high school. I jooned this forum for some advice.

I want to gift a pokemon game to someone who never seen it before. Can anyone recommend something? Or is it going to be a world of confusion for them?

Preferably a device that can instantly play the game like a gameboy or something.

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2021
    Yes handheld too. It also depends a little on the price I have no idea how expensive it is.

Years
  • The US dollar prices below are from using googles currency converter for an estimate.

The Switch is 283 euros/328 US dollars.
    The Switch Lite is around 208 euros/241 US dollars ,but can be a bit more expensive depending on the color.

The 3DS/2DS is no longer being made so unless your lucky and a store near you still has one, you'll need to try and get a decent second hand one. Price are too varied to really list tbh. Probably gonna be at least 100 of any currency though.

Anyway, if you want to buy the handheld/console in an actual store you're probably forced to get a Switch.
    Which atm has Sword/Shield which are also pretty beginner friendly for a new player. There's also some upcoming pokemon games for the Switch.
    When I bought Sword + Expansion pass it was 80 euros/92 US dollars.

The 3DS has more Pokemon games available to pick from, but as said unless you're lucky you'll probably have to get a second hand one. The more recent 3DS games such as Moon/Sun & UltraMoon/UltraSun are still in stores here for 50 euros/58 US dollars. Out of these you should probably go for either UltraSun/UltraMoon over Sun/Moon.

DrWho42

ka kaw
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    hi there! welcome aboard! i too grew up on watching pokemon. do you maybe have a favourite episode? either way, welcome! :D

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Hi,

I grew up watching pokemon, but got out of it in high school. I jooned this forum for some advice.

I want to gift a pokemon game to someone who never seen it before. Can anyone recommend something? Or is it going to be a world of confusion for them?

Preferably a device that can instantly play the game like a gameboy or something.
    Hi and welcome to PC!

Oooh how exciting to get to be responsible for someone's first trip into the pokémon games! Hmm. I'd say if you can find a "New 3DS" (it's simply the latest version) either sold somewhere still or a used one in good condition, it's going to make it possible for your friend to play all the classics they can get their hands on, up to generation 7 (the Sun & Moon games). An awesome game to start with might be Pokémon Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire imo. The games play really well and are set in the third region ever made which is beloved by many.

For futureproofing though, in case your friend might want to stay updated with the latest pokémon games that are coming out, or play online with friends also, a Nintendo Switch is a better option though. It just might be more expensive, depending on what 3DS you can find. The Switch has all kinds of online usage, and soon there will be a couple of new pokémon games coming out on it. So maybe starting with Pokémon Sword or Shield will be the best if looking ahead is more important than being able to play the classics :)

Good luck!

Back