• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Clarification - invisible wall vs shred

Years
  • Age 47
  • Seen Jan 30, 2018
My son and I enjoy playing the TCG game. I've been collecting cards for quite a while and I have a rather large collection of old and Legacy cards while a lot of his cards are of the latest sets.

One of my prized cards ( for which I have 2) is the original legacy Mr mime.

f4d1045cd01bd5a3c1762add3a294ce7--jungles-pokemon-cards.jpg

Now, we were playing the other day and he had his Kommo-o gx card as is active Pokemon, and I had my Mr mime as my active Pokemon

SM2_EN_159.png

It was his turn and the debate began as to whether or not his active Pokemon could damage mine.

Kommo-o GX - Shred: (attack) damage 130
This attack's damage isn't affected by any effects on your opponent's Active Pokémon.

Mr Mime - Invisible wall (pokemon power):
Whenever an attack (including your own) does 30 or more damage to Mr. Mime (after applying Weakness and Resistance), prevent that damage. (Any other effects of attacks still happen.) This power can't be used if Mr. Mime is Asleep, Confused, or Paralyzed.

Given the text on these two cards, and the rules in general, can the Kommo-o's Shred attack hurt Mr mime?

Last edited:
Years
My son and I enjoy playing the TCG game. I've been collecting cards for quite a while and I have a rather large collection of old and Legacy cards while a lot of his cards are of the latest sets.

One of my prized cards ( for which I have 2) is the original legacy Mr mime.

f4d1045cd01bd5a3c1762add3a294ce7--jungles-pokemon-cards.jpg

Now, we were playing the other day and he had his Kommo-o gx card as is active Pokemon, and I had my Mr mime as my active Pokemon

SM2_EN_159.png

It was his turn and the debate began as to whether or not his active Pokemon could damage mine.

Kommo-o GX - Shred: (attack) damage 130
This attack's damage isn't affected by any effects on your opponent's Active Pokémon.

Mr Mime - Invisible wall (pokemon power):
Whenever an attack (including your own) does 30 or more damage to Mr. Mime (after applying Weakness and Resistance), prevent that damage. (Any other effects of attacks still happen.) This power can't be used if Mr. Mime is Asleep, Confused, or Paralyzed.

Given the text on these two cards, and the rules in general, can the Kommo-o's Shred attack hurt Mr mime?

So, basically, because of the damage order from the current ruleset, Shred does get through Mr. Mime as Shred's attack text hits the damage calculation order before Mr. Mime's Poke-Power does.

The order is listed on page 20 of the rulebook, which can be found here: http://sm2.pokemontcg.com/assets/pdfs/en-us/SM2_Web_Rulebook.pdf

Back