• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Turning off EV gain, setting all IV to zero, etc (Fire Red)

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2023
    Hullo, I just have a query regarding starting out in editing Fire Red, in particular setting all EV gain from battles to zero, and ensuring all pokemon have zero IV totals.
    I suppose a little background is in order! I am new to rom hacking, and this is my first attempt at all this, and I have spent several days scouring this and other forums for a solution to this requirement, with very little success.
    I have assembled all the tools I need, and developed my rom to the point where a new player is basically placed outside near a dying NPC, who hands over a starter pokemon and dex, and all this is working fine; from here though I wanted to ensure that EV and IV influence were negated going forward in a world that is totally wild battles.
    I have edited the representation of all types to my new desired flavours, and I am currently looking into how to alter type-effectiveness in combat.
    I was also very interested in finding a way to cap the pokemon's levels at something a lot lower than 100, but have had no luck finding a solution for this either.
    My script editing and hex manipulation skills are very basic, to say the least, but I have managed to get this far into editing the rom, and need this next hurdle overcome so that I may go on to the mountain of sprite editing and such that lies ahead.
    So, in a nutshell, I need a way to:
    - Turn off EV gain from battle
    - Set all pokemon IV to zero
    - Reduce the level cap
    - Edit type-effective combat balance.
    As I mentioned, I have spent many hours hunting through forums for some applicable solutions, but the few pieces of information I have gleaned have been either too scant, or far beyond my level of rom hacking understanding.
    I really appreciate any help at all on this set of queries, and would also like to express something of my amazement at the breadth and depth of this hobby; I have played pokemon and other monster tamers for years with my kids, but never really entered into this side of it all before!
    Thanks again.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    Just google "FireRed Type Effectiveness Editor" and POOF you should have a Pok?Community link or HackRomTools link within the first few results. For EV gain, you'll need to edit all Pok?mon's base data and set the EV Yield to 0 on all stats. Use G3T for this. I don't know about IVs but most Pok?mon should be pretty well stripped of specimen stat uniqueness by that point anyway.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2023
    Just google "FireRed Type Effectiveness Editor" and POOF you should have a Pok?Community link or HackRomTools link within the first few results. For EV gain, you'll need to edit all Pok?mon's base data and set the EV Yield to 0 on all stats. Use G3T for this. I don't know about IVs but most Pok?mon should be pretty well stripped of specimen stat uniqueness by that point anyway.

Thanks for the reply! I did find a tool for type effectiveness editing in this forum quite quickly the other day, but alas it crashes upon attempting to save, and is acknowledged by other users in the thread to be broken, which is a shame because it was ideal for my purpose.
    I have edited base stats, XP yield and EV yield using PGE, etc, and run the numbers on stat gain by level 100 calculating in zero EV yield from any of my new creatures, it's just that the numbers on the stats by level 100 even starting out with very low base stats are still very high. I was trying to aim for total stats in any given area under 100, which is why I figured if I could not find a way to alter the level up xp gain formula, and hence curtail the stat gain by level 100, it would be easier to cap levelling at say 30 or so.
    All this stat and level reduction is in keeping with the overall theme of the mod, which is quite a far cry from the base game setting. Essentially, the variability and individuality of the player's pokemon is going to come from areas other than just min/maxed stats and tailored attack/ability setups - and this is due to the nature of the rom taking place in an abruptly altered environment to the original game.
    I decided with the game I wanted to make start out with Jpan's script/event cleaned rom, so that I could remake every area and encounter as I needed, without requiring editing any existing events, etc. I am not adding any new types into the rom, just editing all the existing ones, and doing the same for pokemon, attacks, and so on. It's working out really well, and I have new pokemon and altered types set up, changed attacks, sprited, etc, I just need to sort out a way to get the numbers under control.
    Thanks as well for the 127 level thing, Petuuuhhh, I will look into that link.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2023
    Thanks again, Petuuuhhh, I did come across that one, and have bookmarked it for further study.
    I went over that Japanese script for the level adjustments you linked, and opened the IPS in a hex editor to have a look about.
    Perhaps I can just adjust their changes to drop the increase in level cap to a simple cap system? To my mind it would be far easier to stop levelling at a point sub-100 than it would to have to adjust all the stat gains past 100 as they are doing. I do wish I were a heck of a lot smarter and able to wrap my head around the hex coding side of things!
    At the moment, however, I am trying to add in a healing/revival event to an NPC in the starting map, as the absence of Nurse Joy centres in the changed world make whiting out to wild pokemon rather crash-tastic.
    So much to learn... I am rather afraid that by the time I can round up enough knowledge to piece this all together and get to the parts of the rom edit that I am more predisposed to (pokemon creation/story/settings), the work on the disassembly of FR will be done, and I will have to relearn a whole different means of eidting the game!
    Thanks again for your help.

Back