• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Fanfic] Starlight Christmas

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
  • Yes I am trash and this is the first time I've written something on my own in like 3 years so I apologize if this is terribly rusty and awful.

v) It's nowhere near Christmas it's literally still November would you calm down about Christmas wait no why are you getting the tree out no stop please stop (if you do this pre-relationship you can have the grouchy one secretly finding the other's excitement endearing and falling in love with them actually that works for established relationship too)

Christmas. It was their favorite holiday, especially this year. It was only a month away, however that felt like ages to them. They sat in their bed, staring at their cream colored ceiling covered with glow in the dark star stickers. The long, purple curtains blew with the wind coming from the windows on their wall. They turned over in their bed, peering at the clock to see the red numbers bleeding '10:00AM'. They clicked their tongue, throwing the blue and green polka-dotted sheets off them hesitantly and putting on some Cookie Monster pajama shorts along with a white tank top since they usually slept in their undies. They walked into the cream colored bathroom they had connected to their bedroom, observing themselves in the mirror. Their short, pixie cut brown hair was sticking up at all ends. They growled, smoothing it down with their hands, or at least attempting to. A moment later they walked out of the bathroom and paused as they heard some shuffling downstairs, confused since they knew their friend usually wasn't up this early. Did they forget to mention they lived with someone?

Well, they did. They lived with their best friend, named Dan. A gorgeous man who had short, luscious brown hair and beautiful brown eyes. He was quite pale from not going outside very often mainly because he didn't like interacting with other humans. He had cute moles scattered along his body, and whenever he smiled his dimple on his right side showed. B-but they didn't have a crush on them or anything, not at all, they just thought he was cute.

"Skylar!" Dan called, making them jump and shook them out of their thoughts. They walked downstairs and their eyes widened as they saw their favorite brown haired friend setting up the Christmas tree, or the Rave Tree, as he liked to call it since he always decorated it with seizure inducing lights that he thought looked like a Rave party. Skylar crossed their arms, clicking their tongue. Dan turned to see them and smiled sheepishly, shrugging.

"It's only November, Dan, honestly.." They said, "I like Christmas as much as the next person, but it's a bit early, don't you think?"

Dan shrugged and continued putting tinsel on the tree, not really caring whether it was precise or not. After he put the tinsel on, he turned to Skylar and blushed sheepishly. They sighed and walked over to Dan, sitting down carelessly. He sat next to them, nudging their shoulder.

"You know you want to help decorate the tree~" He said in a sing-song voice, his hair brushing up against her forehead. They rolled their eyes playfully, sticking their tongue out at him. Dan got up and helped them up, handing her some more tinsel. Skylar sighed in defeat, honestly thinking that him decorating the tree so early was adorable and endearing. Soon, they started to decorate the tree as well as he put some of the flashing fairy lights on it. They smiled a bit as they saw that, glad to know he hadn't changed at all since they knew him. While they were decorating, they kept nudging each other in the shoulder or hips playfully, giggling and accidentally brushing hands. Or at least it was accidental to Dan. Finally, 30 minutes later, they were done decorating the tree. The tinsel was all on it, the lights on and plugged in, flashing, the lame sugar cookie ornaments they made a few years ago on it as well. They looked all around the living room, the white calls covered with paintings, pictures and no longer bare in the corner because of the tree there now. What Skylar didn't know, is that when they were upstairs, Dan had hung mistletoe in the kitchen doorway. He smirked thinking about it.

"C'mon, let's go eat some breakfast," He mumbles to them, taking their hand and heading to the kitchen, stopping in the doorway. Skylar looks at him in confusion, looking up when he smirked. Their face immediately turned a scarlet red, looking away shyly giggling nervously.

"W-what? Haha.." They blush more as Dan turns them towards him, kissing them softly.

Merry Christmas, Skylar.

Last edited:

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • Thank you for your criticism. Like I said, I hadn't written in awhile and wanted to write something for once so I decided why not? Also the reason I use they is because they have no established gender. They're nonbinary, which means they aren't a boy or a girl which is why I didn't use specific pronouns.

However I appreciate your feedback and will keep that in mind when I write again sometime. c:

User19sq

Not to backtrack on the gender thing, but Bardothren's got a point about how "they" is used for Skylar up until clearly being established as a "her" later on. I'd edit that tiny bit out, if it really is important to keep Skylar nonbinary. But if Dan made them feel like a her, then that's something different...

That bolded intro... was that you speaking, or the narrator? I'd loved to have the narrator describe the setting instead. Mainly cuz that thing was such a run-on and I fell off the reading horse pretty quickly.

Something I missed was the establishment of whether this is a fanfic for a different series, or a completely original work of yours. I'm still wondering which it is. XD;;;;;

And on an ending note: if the narrator follows Skylar so much, wouldn't it have been better to make it first-person instead? It gives way to emotion, experience, private thoughts, and descriptions of everything we read about through Skylar's eyes. Third-person's much more suited for an omnipresent narrator who tells all and knows all, but because this story is so short, a limited point-of-view would've worked just fine.

Just my two cents. It was a cute read, though. I agree, a bit rusty. But keep at it!

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • yeahhh i edited that 'her' part, i missed that ;w; i'm not used to using neutral gender terms for characters just yet.
    but yeah i know i should've used first person i apologize. also this is just a short story by itself, not a series or anything. if i end up making another short story with the same characters though later it could be i guess?

Back