• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will My Pokemon Still Be Strong If I Don't Evolve It?

Years
  • Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you guys could help me with a question I had about evolving my starter. I was looking at playing through one of the newer games (X or Omega Ruby) by having my starter hold an overtone to prevent it from evolving. I was wondering if this would effect the overall strength of the Pokemon in the long run.

For example, would a level 60 Mudkip and a level 60 Swampert be similar in terms of strength and stats or would the Swampert be markedly better? I am not familiar with all the specifics of IVs and EVs and was looking for your guys input.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Steven C.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you guys could help me with a question I had about evolving my starter. I was looking at playing through one of the newer games (X or Omega Ruby) by having my starter hold an overtone to prevent it from evolving. I was wondering if this would effect the overall strength of the Pokemon in the long run.

For example, would a level 60 Mudkip and a level 60 Swampert be similar in terms of strength and stats or would the Swampert be markedly better? I am not familiar with all the specifics of IVs and EVs and was looking for your guys input.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Steven C.
    Really depends. It will always be stronger after evolution, but with a carefully chosen moveset, and maybe proper EV training, it can really be good.

-Nonsense-

Luck = 0
    Years
  • The strength of the final evolution will most likely be 100x better. But if you can find and make it hold the Eviolite item you can have a huge boost in both defenses if you want that but you'd have to go through the trouble of pressing b since it'd still try evolving.

Years
  • I mean I guess the Pokemon will eventually be strong, but in comparison to a final evolution, it'll be pretty weak. But then movesets and tactics come into play for example, if someone used F.E.A.R right, they could make Rattata the most powerful Pokemon in the game, so I guess it depends how you use your Pokemon.

Years
  • I mean I guess the Pokemon will eventually be strong, but in comparison to a final evolution, it'll be pretty weak. But then movesets and tactics come into play for example, if someone used F.E.A.R right, they could make Rattata the most powerful Pokemon in the game, so I guess it depends how you use your Pokemon.

Out of curiosity, what is F.E.A.R.?

Years
  • Out of curiosity, what is F.E.A.R.?

FEAR is the way to get your Rattata to top percentage.

F.E.A.R. is a last-resort strategy used in competitive battling, normally usable only once per battle. A "F.E.A.R. Pokémon" is a Pokémon compatible with a certain moveset capable of defeating a full-HP opponent at virtually any level (most notably LV 100) while itself is only at LV 1 or 2, the reason being for bragging rights. The most well-known Pokémon used for this strategy is a Rattata.

F.E.A.R. generally stands for:

Focus Sash
    Endeavor
    (Quick) Attack
    Rattata

Have an opponent attack you, you will survive with 1 HP because of the sash. Then use endeavor to bring them down to 1 hp, just like Rattata. Then finish it with quick attack.

Years
  • Your pokemon won't be stronger But there are some tactics that can be used to make first stage pokemon very dangerous like the F.E.A.R tactic that was mentioned above

If you want a strong pokemon team you ought to EV train and let them evolve to they're final form.

Last edited:
    Back