• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ninja pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Hey guys, I'm trying to put together a themed but effective team of ninja pokemon. What I have so far on my team are:

Greninja
    Zoroark
    Ninjask
    Forretress (he could be a smoke bomb)

Here are some I considered but either I can't obtain or just not effective enough:
    Shiftry - I can't get it with the moves I want
    Shedinja - Too frail
    Ditto - Always backfired on me for some reason

Please help me! :D and thank you for your time.
    -Panda

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    Bisharp
    Accelgor
    Gallade
    Weavile
    Infernape
    Absol
    Ninjask
    Scizor
    Hitmonlee
    I think they have a Ninja vibe to them. Some even LOOK like ninjas, Accelgor for example.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Lucario seems to be a lot ninja-like, in my opinion. You should consider putting it onto your team. If you're looking for a good moveset for it, here's one:

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Bullet Punch
    - Swords Dance
    - Stone Edge

I'm moving your thread over to Battle Center by the way, as it relates to team-building. d:

Moved.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Thanks guys! I never thought about accelgor but after looking into his OU moveset it's pretty good! At first I wanted it to be in the main thread because I just wanted suggestions for pokemon that looks ninja like but I guess it's fine here as well. I already made a thread similar to this a while ago though but it was about a particular team.

Hmm ambipom vs toxicroak vs shiftry vs infernape as fakeout and sucker punchers-- who is better suited?

Edit: hmmm I kinda want a "leader" sort of figure for this team. I was thinking of a mega evolution or even a legendary. Any suggestions??

Hmm I'm also debating between weavile and bisharp for a fast ko. Any suggestions on this too? :0

So far I have:
    Greninja - Special Sweeper
    Accelgor - Suicide Lead
    Sableye - Prankster
    Zoroark - "Deceiver"
    Maybe Weavile - Physical sweeper/revenge killer??
    Mega Aggron or Mega Tyrannitar - Bulky Offense
    Can someone critique my choice of pokemon so far??

Last edited:

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I have a few suggestions. Since you're using Greninja as a special sweeper, I would recommend this set:

Greninja @ Life Orb
    Ability: Protean
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
    Hasty Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
    - Surf/Hydro Pump
    - Dark Pulse
    - Ice Beam
    - U-turn

This set makes sure that Greninja is one of the fastest and hard hitting pokemon out there. The strategy is simple, use the appropriate move and use U-Turn to get Greninja to safety once it gets threatened.

I've never used Accelgor before, so I'm going to need someone's help to come up with a good set, but after looking some stuff up, here's the move set I came up with:

Accelgor @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sticky Hold
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
    - Encore
    - Yawn
    - Bug Buzz
    - Spikes

A set meant simply to get hazards up and then deal damage until dead. Yawn and Encore are excellent support moves and often forces switches, so a free turn to set up spikes. Bug Buzz is there so Accelgor won't be complete taunt bait. I wasn't sure what item to put on there, so feel free to change it as I feel like Accelgor is too frail for leftovers, but doesn't have enough of an offensive edge for Life Orb.

Sableye @ Leftovers
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Recover
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Taunt
    - Night Shade

Just your typical support Sableye set. Trying to burn physical attackers while healing and just generally causing your opponent to rip their hair out. Fun stuff.

Zoroark isn't the best option. With team preview, everyone expects it, so it doesn't have the surprise factor and just isn't really worth it. Instead, try Infernape as you need the coverage.

Infernape @ Life Orb
    Ability: Iron Fist
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Fake Out
    - Close Combat
    - Flare Blitz
    - Thunder Punch/Mach Punch

This set will help break sashes and is just here for general coverage. The last slot is a choice. You can have Thunder Punch for the coverage against water types that will switch in, or you can get the priority with Mach Punch. Either way should be fine.

I wouldn't go with Weavile either because with it, you would have a massive fighting weakness. Besides, I feel like a defoger/rapid spinner would help you much more.

Scizor @ Leftovers
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Adamant Nature
    - Defog
    - Bug Bite
    - Bullet Punch
    - Roost

This set is meant for longevity. Try to keep Scizor alive as it adds a lot of support with Defog and acts as a revenge killer with priority in Bullet Punch. Roost is there for recovery and to ensure that Scizor is going to be around for a while.

Or, if you would like to keep the hazards on your opponent's side, take a look at Forretress:

Forretress @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    - Rapid Spin
    - Stealth Rock
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Volt Switch

This set is meant to lay out more hazards that Accelgor can't while also being able to support your team by spinning hazards away from your side of the field. Volt Switch is so Forretress isn't complete taunt bait and to make sure it can get out without wasting a turn.

I would personally go with Mega-Tyranitar as you're very weak to Talonflame otherwise as well as having a pretty big fire weakness. I feel like Mega-Tyranitar will help your team the most:

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Crunch
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake
    - Superpower

This set takes advantage of Tyanitar's massive attack stat and good coverage. Since Mega-Tyranitar isn't very fast, the EV investment in HP is appreciated as it will help with longevity on the battlefield.

This is what I recommend to get the most out of this ninja theme. Anyone, feel free to come in and change things as you see fit since I'm not the best at team-building. Anyway, hope I helped!

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Thanks Slayr once again!! :D

I am torn between infernape and zoroark-- because I am most likely not going to play competitively (at least hardcore competitively) and will probably be playing competitively locally. Most of my friends are like the typical single-player minded people in which they send out the bulkiest and the toughest pokemon and use all attacking moves.

I just want to have a unique team that is distinctly "me" because my friends know how obsessed I am with assassins and ninjas and stuff lol

I'm about to go test out the suggestions on pokemon showdown, I'm probably not going to fare well but oh well, those people are experienced xD and they don't have a themed team. The biggest problem I have is that most of the "ninja"/"assassin"/"spy" looking pokemon are quite frail and are not bulky :/

EDIT: I finally decided on a team but I still need critiques :3

Forretress @ Rocky Helmet (Tanker, Hazard Lead, Also Surprise Attacker)
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Bug Bite
    - Rapid Spin
    - Stealth Rock

Sableye @ Leftovers (Annoyer, Sort of Tanker)
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Taunt
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Night Shade
    - Recover

Infernape @ Life Orb (Physical Sweeper, Fake Out User)
    Ability: Iron Fist
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Fire Punch
    - Thunder Punch
    - Fake Out
    - Mach Punch

Greninja @ Life Orb (Special Sweeper)
    Ability: Protean
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Surf
    - Dark Pulse
    - Ice Beam
    - U-turn

Zoroark @ Expert Belt (Special Sweeper, Deceiver)
    Ability: Illusion
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Dark Pulse
    - Flamethrower
    - Extrasensory
    - Grass Knot

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite (Leader, Special Tank, Physical Attacker)
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Stone Edge
    - Earth Power
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit

Last edited:
    Back