• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Concept: ROM Hacks About Oak's Grandson

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    How often has someone made a ROM hack where you play as Professor Oak's grandson Blue (or Green if you prefer the Japanese names)? Is there a list of these somewhere, or is it a relative rarity? I know I saw a YouTube playthrough of a game where you play as Blue ... Green ... Oak's grandson from specifically the Pokémon Adventures manga, but I wasn't sure if this had been done to death by now. I haven't exactly played a ton of ROM hacks.

I ask this question about ROM hacks because I was thinking a ROM hack like that might be a good first project for me to practice my coding skills on. I had one idea for a ROM hack (basically FRLG if Hoenn Pokémon were all over Kanto), but I kind of want to hold off on that because there would be a lot of edits to the availability of Pokémon. So maybe I will make a FRLG hack about Blue Oak until I get better at programming.

I kind of worry about going all the way and forcing the player to start with Squritle against Red's Charmander. Outside of that, I could see this game going two ways: 1) Blue picks his Pokémon first, and Red picks the one weaker to his (like SwSh and USUM). After that, the player can receive gift Pokémon to make Blue's team (or get creative with their own team), while Red has a different team depending on the starter. 2) The game is based on Pokémon Yellow except you play as Blue with his Eevee, and Red is just handed all three Kanto starters. The problem with this second approach is that Blue's team here would be different from his Gym Leader team from GSC and the remakes (though I guess one could still give Blue the gym leader team because of GSC's precedent).

I do not know if I'll be starting with Binary or Decomp hacks. I gotta experiment with both first, but I'm leaning towards Decomp hacking, if that's the right terminology. (Not that anyone asked, but right now, I'm waiting on something IRL that is preventing me from getting started learning how to code in the C programming language.)

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    Hello, FL. I'm glad someone replied here to answer my question.

I prefer option 1 as well, but a friend of mine said he preferred the second one. I have time to make up my mind, but I will probably go with my first instinct and make it so that Red has three different teams for the starters. I also kind of like the idea of the three teams being heavily different because it sort of emulates the fact that everyone playing the Gen 1 and FRLG games will form their teams differently.

Thank you so much for the reply.

X_Zenith

Banned
    Years
  • Hello, FL. I'm glad someone replied here to answer my question.

I prefer option 1 as well, but a friend of mine said he preferred the second one. I have time to make up my mind, but I will probably go with my first instinct and make it so that Red has three different teams for the starters. I also kind of like the idea of the three teams being heavily different because it sort of emulates the fact that everyone playing the Gen 1 and FRLG games will form their teams differently.

Thank you so much for the reply.

Would you like to join our rom hacking team and gain exp? Love to make binary fr projects

Max Elixir

PP Max
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    something to consider is that it's probably not any more important that the player's team needs to match the team the rival uses in the vanilla games or as viridian gym leader any more than the player's team in vanilla kanto games needing to match red's team at the end of gold and silver.

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    Luke111, I appreciate the offer, but I am just beginning to learn how to develop games, so I feel like I would just waste your time.

Max Elixir, to answer your question, I agree. I had no plans to force the player to use the exact team used by the rival in the original games. I do have plans for (completely optional) gift Pokémon to form his team, like, for example, an NPC near the Sea Cottage offers him an Abra. Again, it would be up to the player to decide if they want his team from these NPCs, or if they want to form their own. It would be kind of like the Kanto starters in Yellow. Yes, you're encouraged to take them, but you can complete the game without them. I hope that answers your concern.

X_Zenith

Banned
    Years
  • Luke111, I appreciate the offer, but I am just beginning to learn how to develop games, so I feel like I would just waste your time.

Max Elixir, to answer your question, I agree. I had no plans to force the player to use the exact team used by the rival in the original games. I do have plans for (completely optional) gift Pokémon to form his team, like, for example, an NPC near the Sea Cottage offers him an Abra. Again, it would be up to the player to decide if they want his team from these NPCs, or if they want to form their own. It would be kind of like the Kanto starters in Yellow. Yes, you're encouraged to take them, but you can complete the game without them. I hope that answers your concern.

I do not think that , if you don't know you can try no? That what is my rule

Last edited:

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    Right now, I'd feel more comfortable starting off on ROM hacks on my own. If I decide to join a team in a few months, I'll send you a message, but I'm not interested in joining one YET.

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    I took a brief glance at it. Tough competition.

EDIT: Here's an actual response.

I'm trying to look at gameplay footage online, and it's rather annoying that the top results feel the need to edit the thing into a two hour video, so I have no idea what plot additions were made or even what's different from the original. I kind of understand YouTube (at the time of these uploads) was pushing for really long uploads, but I wish they'd made it multiple digestible parts, so I can skim easier, and heaven forbid I try to read the unique dialogue in a ROM hack (albeit most of the non-essential story beats were almost certainly reused).

I thought the game would be very different cuz of the Team Rocket angle (like that Team Rocket game where you start with a Rattata and steal Pokemon), but I don't think that's the case. I'm gonna have to get creative to keep my version of the ROM hack fresh, but I'm glad it's not like overwhelmingly better than what I could do. (I was just reading the summary on a Google search when I originally replied.) I'm not disrespecting the person's work, especially since I have yet to play it (and didn't like the walkthroughs available enough to go through them). It just looks about on par with what I'd like to do with the project on my own terms.

One last thing I'll say (and I know that not a single person asked about this) is that I'm trying to learn more about the C programming language. It would help with Decomp hacks, and ... well, I'm really not sure where to find the Advance Map download now.

Last edited:
    Back