• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Holllyrain [One-Shot]

Bay

Years
  • Hollyrain

Hollyrain the Deino loved the Village of Dragons. All the people and dragon Pokémon in the village were nice, the air was crisp, and the outside was vast. She had gotten her name from Margot, the village's human elder because she was born when it was raining outside.

She was blind, often stumbling and needing to bite to feel her surroundings, but she could use her other senses and was happy otherwise.

One day Hollyrain was walking outside as usual. She paid attention to the sounds from the Dragon Pokémon, the majority of them playing while a few of them were sleeping. After she sniffed the air, which was a little colder than the past few days, Hollyrain's ears perked at a girl's voice.

"Awww, a Deino! You're so cute!" The girl patted Hollyrain's head. "Does she have a name, Elder Margot?"

"Yes, she does." The next voice belonged to Elder Margot's, which Hollyrain recognized. "Her name is Hollyrain"

"Hollyrain? That's a beautiful name!" The girl patted Hollyrain's head once more. "I'm Iris!"

"Iris was born and raised here. She then moved to Opleuid City to help with Drayden as co-gym leaders."

"Ah-huh! I've been a gym leader for less than a year now, but I'm learning so much."

Hollyrain mused that the girl seemed friendly by her touches and bubbly voice. She had heard about "gym leaders" in passing from other humans and Dragon Pokémon, how they were strong trainers. Drayden was one of them, so that meant Iris was strong too.

Satisfied with Iris so far, Hollyrain bit Iris's finger in affection. That caused Iris to yell and flinch in pain.

"Oh, be careful dear child. The Deino species are blind and will bite anything that moves."

"I know, I'll be careful next time." Iris sighed, then she said with a cheerful voice, "Can I play with Hollyrain for a while?"

"Yes, you may, Iris."

Iris screamed in joy, and Hollyrain could hear her running on the grass.

"See if you can catch me, Hollyrain!"

Despite being blind, Hollyrain rushed to her and was able to know where she was going based on the sound of her footsteps. Iris was going to be fun to be with.

xxx

Four more months had passed with summer turning into autumn. Hollyrain preferred the rainy weather from the spring and autumn seasons. Her dark fur made the summer seasons too hot for her and in winter the snow made it hard for her to move through sometimes.

One day there was a drizzle and Hollyrain wanted to play outside instead of staying inside with Elder Margot. Another dragon Pokémon, a Fraxure named Mako, also wanted to play, so the two dragons did a friendly battle with one another. Hollyrain was able to dodge the Fraxure's Dragon Claws by paying attention to the sound of the attack's direction and landed a few Headbutts and Bites on him.

After colliding with Mako's body with a Slam, Hollyrain stopped when she felt her body growing hot and bigger. What was happening?

At that moment, Iris came to visit and screamed joyfully, "You've evolved into Zwelious, Hollyrain!"

"Indeed she has," Elder Margot said. "Look at her and Mako, though! Will you help me clean them up, Iris?"

She had evolved into a Zwelious? Now she had gotten stronger! Hollyrain screamed in joy and stomped on the mud. A minute later, Elder Margot and Iris took her inside to clean her up.

xxx

Hollyrain was aware that a Zwelious had two heads instead of one. She had interacted with a few Zwelious in the village and each time both heads would compete with each other and one of the humans would need to break the heads up.

Despite the evolution, Hollyrain was still blind and had to rely on her other senses to get by. Sometimes it was tricky as one head wanted to go one direction while the other wanted to go to a different one. Mealtime was fun for her, too. Head Number One often ate more, but Head Number Two would chew the first head's fur and cheeks before stealing the food themselves. Hollyrain wasn't sure how to not make the two heads argue.

It was even harder whenever she battled with the other dragons and the heads wouldn't cooperate. Today she was battling with Pixie the Altaria, and after several exchanges, Hollyrain attempted a Dragon Pulse but missed. Pixie countered with a Moonblast, which Hollyrain wasn't able to avoid, and got hit hard. That caused her to collapse on the ground and lie there in defeat.

After that battle, Pixie told Hollyrain that the battle was fun and she looked forward to playing with her again before flying off. Frustration over being defeated bubbled inside the pit of Hollyrain's stomach.

It's your fault that we lost that battle! Head Number One said.

How is it my fault? Head Number Two shot back. You're the one that suggested we do Dragon Pulse instead of Ice Fang.

And who was the one that wanted to do Crunch and missed?

Oh, that does it!

Both of Hollyrain's heads tugged at each other's fur that covered up their faces and screeched in pain. Her heads were like that for a minute or so until a familiar voice greeted her.

"Hollyrain, over here!"

That must be Iris! Hollyrain rushed in the direction of her voice, stopping when she bumped onto her leg. Iris giggled and patted Hollyrain's two heads.

"I'm happy to see you, too. Guess what, I have apples your favorite!"

Hollyrain's ears perked at the sound of Iris grabbing an apple from a bag and pulling it out. Both of her heads took one sniff of it and already their mouths watered. Head Number Two chewed a few bites of the apple, but then Head Number One pushed the other head aside and screeched at it.

Back off, this is my apple! Head Number One proclaimed.

No, this is my apple! Head Number Two argued back. The two heads headbutted and pulled at each other's fur once more.

"Hey, hey, that's enough you two!" Iris yelled and broke the two heads up. "Here, the second head can have the first apple while the other head can have a new one."

Iris still had the first apple on her right hand and let Head Number Two eat it. She pulled out a second apple and let the first head eat that instead. The two heads munched on their respective apples in peace.

"There, see? I still have more apples, so if you want more let me know!"

After both of Hollyrain's heads finished eating their apples, she and Iris relaxed on the grass. She rested her head on Iris's lap, the girl petting her forehead. Hollyrain liked Iris's gentle caress. Eventually, her ears perked up when she heard footsteps approaching.

"You've been enjoying spending time with Hollyrain," Elder Margot said with a chuckle.

"I am! Hollyrain is so cute and fun to play with." Iris scratched Hollyrain's cheeks, which led the Zwelious to let out a content cry. "Sometimes I imagine how it would be like to train her species."

After a short silence, Margot said, "Why don't you take Hollyrain as your Pokémon? You're co-gym leaders with Drayden, after all."

Hollyrain lifted her two heads slightly when she heard that. She too imagined how it would be like to be Iris's Pokémon on occasion. She would be able to battle all types of Pokémon and not be bored. That would be fun.

Iris stopped petting Hollyrain and sighed. "Drayden says training the Deino line would be a huge commitment. Despite me being able to communicate with Dragon Pokémon, my Mental Pattern with Hollyrain is not strong enough yet."

Mental Pattern? Hollyrain remembered understanding that it was something that tells how compatible a trainer and Pokémon are. She wasn't sure how humans figured that out except that a Pokémon's type is the determining factor. Hollyrain thought she and Iris got along well, so their Mental Pattern should be in sync by now.

Margot hummed in response and added, "I understand Drayden's concerns. The Deino line is harder to connect with due to them having two of the toughest types to connect. I believe you two will be able to bond soon."

Even though she couldn't see, Hollyrain imagined Iris smiling and nodding.

"I think so too!" Iris said in a hopeful voice and resumed petting Hollyrain. She let herself enjoy the girl's touch a little while longer until she started to get tired and took a nap.

xxx

For several more months, Iris continued to visit the Village of Dragons and play with Hollyrain. Whenever she would bring apples, Hollyrain's two heads would fight over them only for Iris to break the two heads apart and have them eat their apples. Iris would also watch her battle against the dragons and even give Hollyrain commands sometimes. From the way she was able to think quickly which move should be used, Hollyrain believed Iris would be a great trainer for her.

At one point, Iris asked Margot when Hollyrain would evolve into Hydregion. The Elder said that it would usually take a Zwellious a few years to evolve without a dedicated trainer. She noticed that Iris and Hollyrain worked well together, so it could be a chance Hollyrain would evolve soon. That excited Hollyrain as that meant she got to be even bigger and stronger! And she would be able to see, too!

That would happen sooner than Hollyrain had thought.

On one late summer afternoon, the two played together. Hollyrain was chasing Iris as usual and she fell slightly behind.

Come on, come on! We're getting behind now.

Hey, I'm not the only one that's lagging. Now let's hurry up!

Hollyrain picked up her pace and now was able to catch up to Iris, the girl's laughter getting louder. While running, Hollyrain swung both of her heads and made joyous sounds. In that instant, her body grew warm and she felt herself floating in the air.

Huh, what's going on? Wait, am I...

For the first time, Hollyrain was able to see. Each of Hollyrain's hands harbored a head covered in black tuffs and a fuchsia collar. Her wings flapped rapidly, blowing out gusts of wind. She blinked at the harsh sunlight and looked down to see Iris gazing at her in awe.

"You've evolved into a Hydreigon, Hollyrain!" Iris said in delight. She jumped and raised her fist.

Me? A Hydreigon? Hollyrain mused. She wanted to be one for a while, so she should be happy, right? Right now she felt...rage, rage like never before. She screeched and swung her main head wildly.

I must destroy anything in my path!

"Hollyrain?" Iris gave her a concerned look. "Hey, are you alright?"

Hollyrain ignored Iris's words. Opening her jaws, she let out a burst of green flames and Iris screamed. She jumped out of the way, the flames burning the grass instead. The Hydreigon spat out more flames and caused the nearby Dragon Pokémon to run off also. Several trees got caught in the fire and burned at a rapid speed.

"What is all with the commotion?" Margot yelled out. Several of the villagers and their Pokémon were behind her, the humans having frightened looks.

"Hollyrain just evolved into a Hydreigon and she just started to burn everything!"

Destroying felt good to Hollyrain and she wouldn't stop. She targeted more flames at the humans, which caused them to move out of the way. Those humans must be rid of!

Destroy destroy destroy destroy

"Hollyrain, please stop!" Iris dodged one of Hollyrain's Dragon Pulses. "You're hurting all the people and Poke--ahhh!"

She dodged another Dragon Pulse, and Hollyrain continued to attack everyone. As the flames began to grow, some of the people came back with buckets of water to extinguish the flames. Many of the Dragon Pokémon also put out the flames with water and ice-type attacks.

Destroy destroy destroy destroy

The word "destroy" kept repeating inside Hollyrain's head. Humans, Pokémon, houses, land. It didn't matter which, all must be gone.

"Archeeeeops!"

Hollyrain stopped for a second when she heard a Pokémon's scream. Before she could turn around, Archeops slashed on her back and caused her to roar. Hollyrain winched at the searing pain from that and stared down below to see Iris glaring at her.

"Go for a Rock Slide now, Archeops!"

With a screech and a flap of her wings, Archeops released several floating rocks at Hollyrain that hit all three of her heads. Hollyrain shook it off and crunched Archeops's neck with fangs infused with ice energy, causing Archeops to squawk.

"Hollyrain, no!" Iris yelled out. "Use Steel Wing to get out of there, Archeops!"

After struggling to get out, Archeops's wings glowed a metallic color and smacked Hollyrain's main head. Hollyrain flinched and let Archeops go--there were deep bite marks on the ancient Pokémon's neck.

While Hollyrain was still recovering, Archeops took this opportunity to use Dragon Claw once more and slashed on her underbelly this time. Hollyrain screamed and retaliated by blasting a Dragon Pulse on Archeops's face. Archeops squawked in pain from that but shook it off.

The two Pokémon flew around one another like a dance and exchanged Rock Slides and Dragon Pulses at one another. Eventually, Hollyrain dodged one of the Rock Slides and crunched on Archeops's left wing.

Archeops screeched and used her claws from her other wing to slash at Hollyrain's main face and caused her to howl and be blinded for a few seconds. Hollyrain accidentally let Archeops go and rammed into Archeops's stomach, making her flinch for a moment. The Hydreigon opened her jaws and she rushed at Archeops.

I'm going to destroy you!

"Hit at the two heads first, Archeops!" Iris commanded.

After letting out a determined squawk, Archeops released several floating rocks first at the left small head and then at the other head. Hollyrain blinked in confusion when the two heads swung around wildly. While she was distracted trying to get her two heads under control, Archeops shot one last Rock Slide at Hollyrain's neck which caused pain in her throat.

"Finish off with one last Dragon Claw and take her down!"

As Hollyrain was recovering from Archeops's last assault, she didn't have time to counter when Archeops's claws slashed at her underbelly once more. Archeops sunk her talons onto Hollyrain's back and pushed her down until she crashed onto the ground.

As Hollyrain lay on the ground, she was breathing hard and too exhausted to get up. When tiredness began to overcome her, she heard the voices of Iris and Margot.

"Now is your opportunity to catch Hollyrain."

"What, me? Are you sure?"

"Yes. I believe you are ready to handle her, child."

Catch...me?

Hollyrain's eyes grew heavy, so she didn't see clearly what Iris did next. The girl pulled out a pokéball, threw it in her direction, and everything went black for Hollyrain.

xxx

Ow...my head.

Hollyrain woke up to the sound of a machine and bright light hitting her face. After opening her eyes, she glanced around to see that she was inside in a well-lit room and resting on a bed. Some wires from the machine had been attached to her, and there was a screen showing her numbers and spikes that Hollyrain wasn't sure what they meant. As the Hydreigon continued to look around her surroundings, a girl's sobbing voice caught her attention.

"Hollyrain, you're alright!"

Hollyrain was greeted by Iris's grinning face. She flung her arms around her neck, and her tears soaked Hollyrain's fur.

How did I get here? she asked. While Iris most likely wouldn't know what she just said, from the way Iris offered her a flustered expression she seemed to already understand.

"Um, well, you got crazy after you evolved and had to be stopped."

Right, now Hollyrain remembered. After evolving her mind told her to destroy anything in her path. She spat flames at Pokémon and the villagers alike, only to then get disrupted by Iris's Archeops and be defeated.

A heavy feeling tugged inside her heart as she did so much damage to the village and was unsure how to make it up.

I remembered before being unconscious that a pokéball was thrown at me. Was I captured?

Iris gasped, also seeming to understand what she just said. "Yes, that did happen. Elder Margot was the one that told me to capture you. However, I'm willing to release you if you want."

Hollyrain took a moment to consider. She was upset that Iris caught her without her permission, but it was for a good reason. Plus, she had considered wanting to be Iris's partner for a while now, so it must be fate bringing them together. Having made her decision, Hollyrain nuzzled against Iris's cheek and she hugged her once more.

"If that is a yes, then I'm so glad that you decided to stay by my side!"

Once they let go, Hollyrain gave her a sad look and lowered her head. I'm sorry about what happened earlier. I've hurt so many Pokémon and people.

Iris offered her a solemn look and let out a deep sigh. "I'm aware of that, and I'm sure Elder Margot will give you a long talk about that." A smile pulled at her lips, and she had her forehead touch Hollyrain's. "However, I'll do my best to connect with your feelings."

That would be nice, Hollyrain mused. Perhaps Iris would be able to help curb her destructive tendencies if their hearts connected.

"Oh!" Iris suddenly said. "So, I plan to go against the Elite Four and Unova's current champion. After we do some training together, I can show you off!"

That piqued Hollyrain's interest. She vaguely heard about the Elite Four and Champion, trainers more powerful than the gym leaders. Iris was a strong trainer, so she should do exceptionally well against them. This was exciting.

Looking forward to things to come, Hollyrain licked Iris's face, and the girl giggled.

Auhtor's Note

I bring in another fic! This time it's a piece for a fic exchange in a Discord server I run. It's based off the prompt "Pokemon meeting its trainer for the first time" and features the Deino line! Interesting writing experiment with me trying to portray a Pokemon line blind and with two heads. Hope you guys enjoy!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • That was pretty cute! I don't have any major critiques since I enjoyed that. I think you nailed the theme of portraying a blind Pokemon, and loved your exploration of connecting with the hearts of Dragon Pokemon. I'm also glad Iris didn't release Hollyrain and that you deeply explored the confines of what she was thinking.

Back