• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Questions] Neo Geneis Lugia - Holo Bleed

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2022
    Hello all!

I recently stumbled upon my old collection of cards that I had when I was a kid. Definitely a trip down memory lane, but I found a card that jogged my memory where I pulled two Lugia holos from the Neo Genesis packs back to back. I remember that one of them looked different though because the holo was all over the card. I pulled that card out and it's still in great condition, and still appears to have that holographic look all over. I've since come to learn that's what is called "holo bleed".

Does this change anything about the value of the card? It's in really great shape otherwise, I'm just wondering if the holo bleed essentially makes it a messed up card or whether it would be considered "special".

Thanks all!

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Hello all!

I recently stumbled upon my old collection of cards that I had when I was a kid. Definitely a trip down memory lane, but I found a card that jogged my memory where I pulled two Lugia holos from the Neo Genesis packs back to back. I remember that one of them looked different though because the holo was all over the card. I pulled that card out and it's still in great condition, and still appears to have that holographic look all over. I've since come to learn that's what is called "holo bleed".

Does this change anything about the value of the card? It's in really great shape otherwise, I'm just wondering if the holo bleed essentially makes it a messed up card or whether it would be considered "special".

Thanks all!
    Oh neat! I'd love to see pictures when you get the chance! :D

If memory serves correctly, holo-blood can happen while printing layers of the card. Do you remember if it was in English or Japanese? Also holo-bleed can happen where the "body" of the card has holofoil spotting, but no actual "shine" to it. This is typically not considered a printing error and would not impact the price of your card. :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2022
    I'll get some pictures when I'm off of work this evening, but I believe it's the second option you mentioned. The body of the card has the shiny spots on it but it doesn't itself shine all the way. It's an English card as well.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I'll get some pictures when I'm off of work this evening, but I believe it's the second option you mentioned. The body of the card has the shiny spots on it but it doesn't itself shine all the way. It's an English card as well.
    I'm interested in seeing this myself! All Japanese classic-Neo cards to my knowledge have the dark holo pattern over the non-holo bits, but I've never seen it on their English counterparts.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2022
    Here you go! The one picture is just the I pulled in back to back packs next to each other, but the second you can see the holo spots on the main part of the card. I also noticed a scratch on the left side of the main holo box, which I know that takes away from a higher grade unfortunately. But the bleed is still cool!

Attachments

• 2820E7C5-F401-4479-A955-2F3E24EF704C.jpeg
      2820E7C5-F401-4479-A955-2F3E24EF704C.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 6
    • E0583C9E-52B5-4D38-9DF2-0A68929EFBC8.jpeg
      E0583C9E-52B5-4D38-9DF2-0A68929EFBC8.jpeg
      869.5 KB · Views: 5
    Back