• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Map✓] Bike not working on some maps

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
  • So for certain maps the bike I award, which is the MACH BIKE, will work while other don't. The map properties aren't different so I don't see why it would work on one and not the other. Below are the settings for the working map and not working map. Also I know that the bike routine is this:

Code:
    sound 0xB1
    callasm 0x80FD359
    release
    end

So I know it is an ASM ... any way to cancel out the effect of the bike music playing or is there a way to alter the way the ASM is checking for the maps? Seems that may be the problem? Anyways here are the two:

These three (last one is an inside map) let me use the bike on the map:
    Spoiler:

While these routes and town don't allow it:
    Spoiler:

Any help for a crusty old dog on deployment would be helpful. Only have a few days for answer so me love you long if you answer quick lol

Last edited:
    Years
  • So for certain maps the bike I award, which is the MACH BIKE, will work while other don't. The map properties aren't different so I don't see why it would work on one and not the other. Below are the settings for the working map and not working map. Also I know that the bike routine is this:

Code:
    sound 0xB1
    callasm 0x80FD359
    release
    end
    So I know it is an ASM ... any way to cancel out the effect of the bike music playing or is there a way to alter the way the ASM is checking for the maps? Seems that may be the problem? Anyways here are the two:

Any help for a crusty old dog on deployment would be helpful. Only have a few days for answer so me love you long if you answer quick lol

Where did you get that script from? Bikes overworld functions are not scripts.

Le pug

Years
  • Where did you get that script from? Bikes overworld functions are not scripts.

Maybe i found the routine in a script a long time ago? Not sure.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7209316&postcount=251

To stop the bike music from playing, write 0xE0 at 0x11A0B7.

You rock. Thanks a bunch!

~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Also, I think I figured out the problem all by myself (go me). I've been making maps as I go along so I've replaced some city maps with route maps and some route maps with city maps and so on. Well, the ASM for the bike actually looks for a set list of maps that are allowed. If you are not on that list, it won't allow you to use the bike. So for example, I replaced Dewford Town on Emerald, which is a sandy town map, with a route. Because Dewford didn't allow bikes, the new map won't either because the routine is looking for the map specifically. The way around this I've found out is if you create new maps in a new slot in a map bank (i.e. if a map bank has 4 maps and you create a new fifth one) then that map is no longer in the check range. (The routine checks for if you are on a specific map that CAN'T allow bikes, if so it doesn't let you bike. It doesn't check for if you are on a map that allows it). So creating a new map will satisfy that purpose of letting you ride a bike while using a map that the bike looks for will not let you use the bike.

It'd be nice to be able to modify that list though for the check but realistically I'd have to decompile that bike routine then assemble it with a new list, which is a skill I'm not good at.

Thanks for the help peeps

yeah i just debunked what I just wrote LOL happened to be a coincidence on two maps but i inserted a map over a map that allows bike usage with a map that didnt allow it and i cant ride on that map. so it has to be something with the map settings not the bike routine

Last edited:
    Years
  • I just tried the method I linked above, and apparently it only works for Fire Red?

Anyway, it seems in Emerald it depends on the "Show name on entering" value, which is in fact a bit field:
    Bit 0: Enable bike riding
    Bit 1: Enable Dig and Escape Rope
    Bit 2: Enable Running Shoes
    Bit 3: Show name on entering

So for routes and towns, you'd want to choose value 0xD.

Le pug

Years
  • I just tried the method I linked above, and apparently it only works for Fire Red?

Anyway, it seems in Emerald it depends on the "Show name on entering" value, which is in fact a bit field:
    Bit 0: Enable bike riding
    Bit 1: Enable Dig and Escape Rope
    Bit 2: Enable Running Shoes
    Bit 3: Show name on entering

So for routes and towns, you'd want to choose value 0xD.

sorry I didn't respond but I didn't click your link until after I posted and realized that is what you were giving me. I found out that the second to last byte not the fourth to last byte is the one for EM. I posted a thing about it in the quick resource thread already. I put 01 in that slot and it is allowing me to bike in those maps now. I thank you for helping me with this! Help from people like you is rare around here

Years
  • sorry I didn't respond but I didn't click your link until after I posted and realized that is what you were giving me. I found out that the second to last byte not the fourth to last byte is the one for EM. I posted a thing about it in the quick resource thread already. I put 01 in that slot and it is allowing me to bike in those maps now. I thank you for helping me with this! Help from people like you is rare around here
    No problem, glad I could help! Although I realized that the second to last byte of the map header is the aforementioned bit field in Emerald (the one labelled as "Show name on entering"). So basically when you set this byte to 01, you also disable running, showing names, etc. Thus you should probably add the info on what the individual bits stand for to your post, because people are going to be confused why they can no longer run and stuff.

Back