• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Other Languages

droomph

weeb
Years
Since the seven languages have finally been coordinated this time around, do you think they'll get around to making other language Pokémon games? I know I would look for a Russian or a Chinese copy - and when I was in China, many of the children liked Pokémon too, so I think 1) you would bring the joy of Pokémon to the world, and 2) more money, as always.

I bring this up only because they've coordinated the release dates of all the present languages, why not try more languages to a larger market? Mandarin is a largely-spoken language in the first place, and many up-and-rising citizens wouldn't hesitate to buy their kids a copy!

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
It would be great if they'd get around to making other languages like Russian and all that, but I doubt they would do that unless Nintendo is able to import the games into those countries. But as far as I know, the company iQue does indeed import modified Nintendo games into China to meet China's Online Censorship regulations. So it would be a high chance that Pokémon X and Y would get released in China under the iQue brand.

pokewalker

If it ain't Dutch,it ain'tmuch
Years
Нет. Russian for no. The starters have already been announced, together with their names in all available languages.
Though it would be absolutely terrific to see the games in Dutch or Russian!

droomph

weeb
Years
Нет. Russian for no. The starters have already been announced, together with their names in all available languages.

Considering, for example, that Pokémon names are more or less identical in 6 of the 7 languages, it's pretty easy to just put the names in Cryllic or whatever. Now Chinese and similar, with their habit of making new words (compared to Japanese or Korean, who tend to take English words and incorporate them) that's going to be a bit harder.

And as for iQue - yeahhhhhh I don't know…I thought they didn't have a Pokémon game in Chinese at all? That's what I was getting at lol

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
Years

I can see why Russian and Chinese would be great options for translating the games, there's a big (coordinated) market available after all.

On a sie note, as a Dutch speaking person, I would rather not have them translate the games in Dutch. I'm all for reaching as much players/fans as possible, but I can't help but to think that Dutch translations always tend to feel a bit forced compared to the original one (ok, not original original in case of Pokémon). And besides, playing the games in English is not always bad for non-native speakers. I know that Pokémon thought me a lot about the English language and I'm not the only one.

droomph

weeb
Years
I can see why Russian and Chinese would be great options for translating the games, there's a big (coordinated) market available after all.

On a sie note, as a Dutch speaking person, I would rather not have them translate the games in Dutch. I'm all for reaching as much players/fans as possible, but I can't help but to think that Dutch translations always tend to feel a bit forced compared to the original one (ok, not original original in case of Pokémon). And besides, playing the games in English is not always bad for non-native speakers. I know that Pokémon thought me a lot about the English language and I'm not the only one.
I feel that it's sorta something like "well it's not the same tone as the original…" because whenever something is translated into Chinese, it's, for me, just "yuck". Like, all the words feel messed up…I think it's just the fact that you speak Dutch than anything else ^^

Back