• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Five Things I Need Help With

Years
  • Hi,

So a brief introduction in spoilers if you want to know why I want to know those things:

Spoiler:

Now to the actual questions:

1) Along the game you find on the road some NPCs that heal your Pokemon. I want to introduce one of these for each gym - except Giovanni's/Viridian's. How can I do that?

2) I want to make the Ground type immune to Static and the Grass type immune to Effect Spore. Any help?

3) How do I remove the requirement of 10 caught Pokemons to receive HM05 (Flash)?

4) Playing Pokemon Gaia some time ago I saw a fantastic feature: no HM animation while in the overworld. How can I disable those for FireRed?

5) The first rival battle have a tutorial where Oak explains how battling works. Is there anyway to remove it? I've tried deleting Oak's related-dialogue using AdvanceText but to no avail.

My ROM already has DPE and CFRU what solved many of the things that I see as a problem (cheers for this hack's author, by the way).

Thanks!

Years
  • Hi,

So a brief introduction in spoilers if you want to know why I want to know those things:

Spoiler:

Now to the actual questions:

1) Along the game you find on the road some NPCs that heal your Pokemon. I want to introduce one of these for each gym - except Giovanni's/Viridian's. How can I do that?

2) I want to make the Ground type immune to Static and the Grass type immune to Effect Spore. Any help?

3) How do I remove the requirement of 10 caught Pokemons to receive HM05 (Flash)?

4) Playing Pokemon Gaia some time ago I saw a fantastic feature: no HM animation while in the overworld. How can I disable those for FireRed?

5) The first rival battle have a tutorial where Oak explains how battling works. Is there anyway to remove it? I've tried deleting Oak's related-dialogue using AdvanceText but to no avail.

My ROM already has DPE and CFRU what solved many of the things that I see as a problem (cheers for this hack's author, by the way).

Thanks!

Everything can be done pretty easily.

Hope all of this helps! :)

Years
  • Everything can be done pretty easily.

Hope all of this helps! :)

Thanks! That answer many questions - helpful as always.

As for the HM05 (Flash), what I want is to keep the conversation but remove the check for 10 Pokemon caught - this way I can just alter the text to something else using AdvanceText.

I'll take a look into the script and make the other changes and will report back here.

Again, thanks!

Years
  • Thanks! That answer many questions - helpful as always.

As for the HM05 (Flash), what I want is to keep the conversation but remove the check for 10 Pokemon caught - this way I can just alter the text to something else using AdvanceText.

I'll take a look into the script and make the other changes and will report back here.

Again, thanks!

Ah, okay. Replace that script with this then:
    Code:
    [B]RAW format:[/B]
    #dynamic 0x[Free Space Offset]

#org @start
    lock
    faceplayer
    checkflag 0x23B
    if 0x1 goto @done
    msgbox @msg1 0x2
    checkitemroom 0x157 0x1
    compare LASTRESULT 0x0
    if 0x1 goto @noroom
    additem 0x157 0x1
    loadpointer 0x0 @give
    giveitem2 0x157 0x1 0x101
    setflag 0x23B
    msgbox @donemsg MSG_KEEPOPEN 
    release
    end

#org @done
    msgbox @donemsg MSG_KEEPOPEN 
    release
    end

#org @noroom
    msgbox @noroommsg MSG_KEEPOPEN
    release
    end

'---------
    ' Strings
    '---------
    #org @msg1
    = Hi! Remember me?\nI'm one of PROF. OAK's AIDES.\pI'm suppose to give you this!

#org @give
    = [player] received HM05\nfrom the AIDE.

#org @donemsg
    = HM05 contains the hidden move\nFLASH.\pFLASH lights up even the darkest\nof caves and dungeons.

#org @noroommsg
    = Oh! I see you don't have any\nroom for the [buffer2].

Years
  • Ah, okay. Replace that script with this then:

Thanks again.

So it is just: opening AdvancedMaps, going to Route 2, clicking on Events, selecting the aide, Open Script, and replacing everything in there for what you've posted above, right? Even the RAW Format: and [Free Space Offset] part?

I was trying to turn this into a .bin to get an hex line to insert in the game and then replacing this hex line in a given offset and finally replacing [Free Space Offset] with said offset but I got some errors when trying to run the above script in THUMB Editor & Assembler.

---

As for this:

nop the 8 bytes at 080484 to make trainerbattle 0x9 not have oak's text
    found by knizz

I don't think I understood it properly as zeroing the next 8 bytes at 080484 didn't skip Oak's text. Any idea of what am I doing wrong?

This is how the line looks like now:

Code:
    00080480     00 29 03 D0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 05 49 06 48

---

Again, thanks for the helpful hand.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Thanks again.

So it is just: opening AdvancedMaps, going to Route 2, clicking on Events, selecting the aide, Open Script, and replacing everything in there for what you've posted above, right? Even the RAW Format: and [Free Space Offset] part?

I was trying to turn this into a .bin to get an hex line to insert in the game and then replacing this hex line in a given offset and finally replacing [Free Space Offset] with said offset but I got some errors when trying to run the above script in THUMB Editor & Assembler.

Ah, that's a XSE script. And no, you just copy the script below "RAW format:" and replace the [Free Space Offset] with whatever dynamic free space offset you want. Just write #dynamic 0x800000 there. After that you compile the script in XSE and you're good to go!

As for this:

I don't think I understood it properly as zeroing the next 8 bytes at 080484 didn't skip Oak's text. Any idea of what am I doing wrong?

This is how the line looks like now:

Code:
    00080480     00 29 03 D0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 05 49 06 48

---

Again, thanks for the helpful hand.

Just go to the beginning of the offset (0x80480) and replace (Ctrl + B) it with this: 00 29 03 D0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 05 49 06 48

Years
  • Ah, that's a XSE script. And no, you just copy the script below "RAW format:" and replace the [Free Space Offset] with whatever dynamic free space offset you want. Just write #dynamic 0x800000 there. After that you compile the script in XSE and you're good to go!

Ok, using XSE I was able to save this script as a .rbc file (using Save As - the common save was not available) and compiled it using Tools -> Batch Compiler but I think I'm missing something as when I open the NPC's script the old one is still there. Is there a further step that I'm supposed to do?

Just go to the beginning of the offset (0x80480) and replace (Ctrl + B) it with this: 00 29 03 D0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 05 49 06 48

That what I did previously and did now once again just to double check, but Oak keeps pestering me:

Thanks guiding me so patinently, Uproar.

Years
  • Ok, using XSE I was able to save this script as a .rbc file (using Save As - the common save was not available) and compiled it using Tools -> Batch Compiler but I think I'm missing something as when I open the NPC's script the old one is still there. Is there a further step that I'm supposed to do?

Yes. Select your ROM and go to the folder where your script is, and compile that in your ROM. After that it gives you an offset; copy that offset and paste it in the place of the old one (using A-Map, you will see "Script Offset", replace the number of the script there with the one you copied from XSE).

That what I did previously and did now once again just to double check, but Oak keeps pestering me:

Thanks guiding me so patinently, Uproar.

Did you save your ROM? Ctrl+S?

It seems you have don't have much knowledge about XSE. I would suggest you take a look at this tutorial.

Years
  • Yes. Select your ROM and go to the folder where your script is, and compile that in your ROM. After that it gives you an offset; copy that offset and paste it in the place of the old one (using A-Map, you will see "Script Offset", replace the number of the script there with the one you copied from XSE).

Actually, it gave me a bunch of offsets. How do I identify the correct one?

Spoiler:

Did you save your ROM? Ctrl+S?

Yup, it even generated a .bak file. I'm rolling back from a previous backup and trying for a third time. If it fails I'll call it a night and let this matter rest.

Edit: Ok, this was related to a flag in CFRU. Was able to identify and alter ir properly. This one is solved.

It seems you have don't have much knowledge about XSE. I would suggest you take a look at this tutorial.

Thanks, apparently I do need to read this. Won't be able to do so until Friday, though.

---

Thanks for the help, mate.

Last edited:
    Back